Hello UG,

So, perhaps insanity in the eyes of some, I've decided to post my Gibson explorer for trade/sale offers locally. Decided that it's part of the rig diversifying process, since almost everything I own is good for metal, but not much else.

I've been offered a gorgeous looking telecaster for it, that was apparently built by a local luthier. From what I can tell, it looks to be well made, and has quality hardware/Fender USA pickups in it. It also has a pine body, as the idea the owner had w/it was to go super vintage-style with it. I was originally looking into S/S/S strats, but I figure if I'm after some rockabilly twang, that a tele should definitely receive consideration too!

I guess what I'm curious about is, since it doesn't have the Fender name on it, is it gonna be worth much less money? If it plays and sounds on par or better than a US-made Fender, it's not too big a concern, but I don't wanna get totally burned either. Definitely not looking to part w/a Gibson for mid-grade stuff, unless it's two instruments!

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Well the one thing is, if its made by a local lutheir... on what you have said we cannot remotely to start talking about the telecasters "worth" or if its a good trade.

Any pictures, or even a website of the luthier?

Alot of this stuff comes down to personal satisfaction, does it sound good to you, does it play well, etc. in terms of resale or extended value... well its hard to sell luthier guitars without reputation... people are just hesitant compared to if u shove a gibson infront of them.
Quote by tofuhead
Well the one thing is, if its made by a local lutheir... on what you have said we cannot remotely to start talking about the telecasters "worth" or if its a good trade.

Any pictures, or even a website of the luthier?

Alot of this stuff comes down to personal satisfaction, does it sound good to you, does it play well, etc. in terms of resale or extended value... well its hard to sell luthier guitars without reputation... people are just hesitant compared to if u shove a gibson infront of them.

+1

You're going to have to use your own intuition, I'm afraid. If it plays great, sounds great and if you think it's worth giving up a Gibbo Explorer for, then go for it. But if there's an inch of doubt in your mind, walk away.

As a side note, I wouldn't say a Gibbo Explorer is only good for Metal....
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Well, this thread kind of confirmed my feelings. From what I could find out based on the information the seller gave me, there doesn't seem to be a website for this guy, but there was an entire thread on a telecaster forum about the build. Looks like he also built another Telecaster, and a strat, but I can't find enough info on if he regularly builds guitars. It did come out looking nice though, and was built from scratch.

As far as the genre thing goes w/the Explorer, I haven't found much use for it other than metal/hard rock. It's really good at that, but I simply can't expect to get strat spank, or tele twang out of it. I'd also say in the world of humbucker-equipped guitars, that I prefer the tone of a Les Paul or SG over the Gibson Explorer/Flying V's, but that I also prefer the way a super-strat plays for metal. Which is probably why I'm willing to part with it. I think I've mainly just held onto it for so long because it looks cool!

I guess I'll just have to approach this one with caution, and really use my head.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jun 16, 2011,
yeah pretty much agreed with what the other guys are saying... stuff made by luthiers can be awesome, but it just depends on how good the luthier is. only you can determine that.

The other thing is, the resale on custom-built stuff is generally very poor (unless the specs are very "normal", and even then...). I mean it could be a great guitar, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth as much as your gibson (even if it's a better guitar, which it may well be).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the luthier's not got a big rep it ain't gna have resale value, no matter how good it plays. If you were browsing the used market you're going to stick to brands/guitars you know. It would be much harder to shift a really well made non-brand guitar as it would have to go to someone who knows their shit.

That is if it is a really good one. See if you can find the luthier and ask questions about the woods he uses and stuff like that.

At any rate, you'd be able to trade a Gibson Explorer (or sell it and use the money) to get a really good branded Telecaster. I'd def go down that route.
yeah, pretty much.

In fact, what I actually thought might be worth doing is to ask the dude how much he wants for the luthier-built tele. If you do decide to go for it, rather than make a trade, it'd probably make more sense to sell the gibson separately and then just try to buy the tele.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?