Quote by Myshadow46_2
tldr: CST is bogus!

This is quite inspiring. I don't subscribe to the CST way of thinking anyway. I used to, but I find it complicates matters far too much.

Just to confirm; Hal mentions a superimposed triad, that's a triad played against a different triad???

Yes you can play for example a G major triad over cmaj7 this will add the 9th tension or you can play a d major triad to get the #11 and 13
Yeah a superimposed triad would be a C and G played together to make a C Major 9.

I find this a very cool video, especially since he talks about melody being the guide! I think he's dead on correct. I think about how I might take the vocal melody of a lead and build off it yet still maintain the melody.

Simple is best. You might even create your own new melody, but then use that to improvise and embellish the melody that you created, and thus improvise off it.

This is one of the smartest musicians I've heard speak in a long time!

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
Yeah a superimposed triad would be a C and G played together to make a C Major 9.

fixed.

i'm completely on the same page as shadow.

melody sure as hell is the guide, sean -- but that doesn't mean CST isn't just one giant crock.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
so i had my cup of tea and a few crumpets (living the good life) and i did some thinking. i think maybe i'm a little harsh on CST because all i've ever seen is it completely destroyed and abused. i played around with it a bit and i realized that it could yield some good things.

it's an excellent way to visualize accidentals, but it should not be taken literally.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
so i had my cup of tea and a few crumpets (living the good life) and i did some thinking. i think maybe i'm a little harsh on CST because all i've ever seen is it completely destroyed and abused. i played around with it a bit and i realized that it could yield some good things.

it's an excellent way to visualize accidentals, but it should not be taken literally.

That's really all CST is. I figured out that I use it often just to help me know where I am in accordance to the tonic, but I at least still know I'm not in the key of the individual chords (usually).
I don't subscribe to CST either, but Galper does come off as close-minded as those who profess to use only CST. It's just another technique which can go along with the rest of them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I think what he means is this:
melodic/melody = chord tones

chord tones = guide tones

chord tones embellishments need the guidance of the chord tones for creating a melodic improv

CTS = chord -> scale/mode - this will cover the chord tones and the diatonic notes (embellishments) together but when creating a melodic phrase you need to hear the melodic guide tones = chord tones = melody = "let the melody be your guide"

BTW bebop is all about using chord tones and guide tones