Which guitar would sound better through my new Fender Mustang III modeling amp? A Gretsch G5135 corvette solid body or a Strat?
What sound are you looking for? Name a few Guitarists/Bands.
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
Strat. Gretsch Corvette is bunk for the price.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
joined May 2011.

not a surprise.

no way for us to say TS, you have to try them.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by kangaxxter
Strat. Gretsch Corvette is bunk for the price.

it depends on the strat, though. and am i the only person that actually liked the corvette i tried?

and it also depends on personal taste.

which guitar do you think sounds better through your amp? better is subjective.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well seeing as you've decided to post this in two forums, you can have my git of a response twice...

*sigh*

Well the Gretsch is ok.
'Strat' is incredibly vague.
You've also not listed what you want to play.

Seriously just look at your post. You give us F.A to go on.

Why don't you head over to ultimate-shoes.com and post this

Quote by johnrayment
I am getting ready to purchase some new socks and I am torn about which shoes to buy that would make the most sense to wear with these new socks, any opinions?
sorry, new to forum, I play in a contemporary Christian band, we play anything Rock and country rock. I like the growl of the mega-tron pickups but I don't know if the Fender Strat is more suited for the modeler. Really looking to spend less than $700.00
a $200 amp and $700 guitar is kinda lopsided imo.

i'd say a used PV classic 30 or traynor ycv20 (~$300) and a gretsch or strat would be a lot better.

the 5120 goes for what? $500 new? that would be a nice pair.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by johnrayment
sorry, new to forum, I play in a contemporary Christian band, we play anything Rock and country rock. I like the growl of the mega-tron pickups but I don't know if the Fender Strat is more suited for the modeler. Really looking to spend less than $700.00

OK.

Well I'm done with being a twat, so...

I've played the Gretsch before and thought it was alright. Just alright. I'm a bit confused by that guitar because it's kinda got that Gretsch twang thing going on but not nailed it as much as the hollowbodies. Given that the hollowbody range is pretty comprehensive I'd say rather than the Corvette go for one of them (I mean the cheap-ish Electromatics).

A Fender MIM Strat on the other hand (which you'd be able to pick up used for pennies) would be a better all round guitar.

I take it you've already bought the amp. It's not going to be a question of which guitar goes better with the amp so much. It's just a case of which one you prefer. Both guitars will suit the amp and Christian rock or whatever fine. The Gretsch will have more unique tone, but the strat is more varied and offers you more options IMO.

My vote's with a MIM Strat. If you want to go Gretsch get a hollowbody (I used to own the single coil version of the 5120 and it was a lot of fun - but massive).
^while I totally agree that it's a lopsided rig and you'd probably not get a full appreciation out of a $700 guitar through a $200 modeling amp, he's probably still building his rig and will replace his amp once he gets to that point in his playing (and $$$).

I don't have much experience with the Corvette, but I have decent experience with strats; that being said, "strat" is kind of vague: do you prefer a Mexican (~$500 new, ~$300 used) or American strat (~$1000 new, ~$700 used)? Do you want new or used? Be careful when buying used strats, as they're pretty easy to fake; once I found a really cheap Mex strat on Craigslist. When I saw the guitar in person, it didn't look right - I asked if I can take off the pickguard, and the guy got nervous but let me anyways. There weren't any dates on anything and the body had a stamp from some random company, and the pickups said made in china despite his claims that it had American pickups. So just be careful...
A normal s-s-s or a fat strat (with the humbucker in the bridge)?
There are also the Squier strats if you're looking for something more economic (>$300 new).

I play in a church and I use and Am. strat with the traditional s-s-s pickup configuration. It sounds awesome through my Vox ac15 with a little bit of dirt, and I play a lot of rock-based blues and gospel type music. The only thing is that if you're looking for a thicker more aggressive sound, I would recommend the fat strat so you'd have the humbucker in the bridge - you can always drop in a singlecoil if you want (just get a s-s-s pickguard; you can't go from a singlecoil to humbucker though without making the pickup cavity bigger). While the Mexican strats are cheaper, they're not quite at the same level as the Am. guitars, but then again, quality varies from guitar to guitar. I had a used Mex strat for about 2 years and I didn't like the neck: it felt too thin and brittle. I got an Am. strat recently and love it - the neck feels like an extension of my own body. Squier strats are ok - there's a bunch of options there too, and to be honest, I liked the neck on my Squier strat a lot more than on my Mex strat, so they're not necessarily bad guitars, just cheaper materials and quality, but totally functional.

Take all this with a grain of salt... as mentioned above, "better" is subjective, and only you'll know what feels right in your hands once you play it. More options and a more expensive guitar is not always the "better" choice, but if you're still finding your sound, more options can help. Good luck and happy hunting!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1