Hey, picked up an acoustic a little while back and now I'm after an electric for around $300 and need advice. I'f be using it with a Vox VT20+. There's a few deals I might be interested in.

New Washburn X3 Pro

New ESP H-101FM LTD Standard

Used Epi SG-310

Used Epi Wilshire

Used IBANEZ RG 370DX

Used Shecter Diamond (not sure what model)

Used Epi Les Paul, 10 years old.

There's also PRS SE EG for sale near me, but it's an auction and I'm unsure if $300 would cut it.

So yeah, what do you guys think would be a good beginners guitar that can play decent rock and metal, but has more emphasis on clean or bluesy sounds?
The LP was $400, when I offered $300 he dropped it to $350. I would be happy to walk away with it, but my dad is worried about the age. Does it matter that it's 10 years old? Will it likely need a set-up or parts to be replaced?
If you know someone who knows about electric guitars (or indeed if you know about electrics) get them to take a look at the LP. It might not need more than a bit of love to get it back into shape but someone who knows about guitars will be able to tell you if you need to get stuff changed. It sounds like a good deal though and it should do everything you want it to but just be careful that it isn't a dud. The age shouldn't really matter so long as the previous owner took care of it. 10 years of being tossed around will take it's tole but if he took good care of it it should be fine. Hope I helped.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
Quote by Ash7778
Does it matter that it's 10 years old? Will it likely need a set-up or parts to be replaced?

Nope should be good, and if im correct would make it a made in Korea which is much better than the new Chinese ones anyway.
Quote by TalkShowHost335
If you know someone who knows about electric guitars (or indeed if you know about electrics) get them to take a look at the LP. It might not need more than a bit of love to get it back into shape but someone who knows about guitars will be able to tell you if you need to get stuff changed. It sounds like a good deal though and it should do everything you want it to but just be careful that it isn't a dud. The age shouldn't really matter so long as the previous owner took care of it. 10 years of being tossed around will take it's tole but if he took good care of it it should be fine. Hope I helped.

Checking it out physically should be straightforward, what should I watch out for when I'm playing?
Quote by Ash7778
Checking it out physically should be straightforward, what should I watch out for when I'm playing?

Just watch out for things like loose nuts and knobs not turning properly because those are the kind of things that could go wrong with age. Make sure you get to try it through an amp before you buy. Then you can hear if there's any buzzing sounds coming from the input jack or whatever. Whatever guitar you get, make sure it's the one you really want because you don't want to regret it later.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
Have you thought about the Epi Vintage G-400? It is far better than the g-310 and is only $299 new.
A 10 yr old guitar should be fine if the owner took care of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate