Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice what is wrong with my break? I mean the break in my song.. Maybe if it was played in a real band it may sounded better.

The problem is: it's 4 bars long and that should be the buildup for the chorus. It sounds alright, but there seems to be something missing, but I can't place it.. I thought about drums, but I couldn't possibly find any drum pattern that fitted in the chorus (mind the key of the song: woodblock).

I won't allow myself adding more instruments except for a keyboard/piano or some more percussion.

Thanx in advance!

The bridge is easy to recognize: right after a chromatic part of the lead guitar, the jimmy chord (x7678x), the tambourine stops and lead guitar stops playing long notes.
For the song: the .mid sounds awful and gp6 won't let me convert .gpx files to .gp5 or lower. If you don't have gp6, you could see this site.
Attachments:
Libertango.gpx
Libertango.mid
In this form it's impossible to give any constructive criticism. Is it the vocals that are missing? Drums? Actual instruments? I don't know :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah forgot to mention
Vocals are missing. I don't have the intention to write drums for it. Though I could 'cause I'm mainly a percussionist. But I do like more the percussion instead of the drums for this song.
So actually only vocals/lead should be missing.. I've never been fond of writing the melodies, so that'll be up to future-band-members I could perhaps add a keyboard.

Oh, and please throw anything you've got at me. I don't mind if you're being harsh or something. It's a great way to learn

EDIT: ah wait, did you listen to the midi or the gpx? I just noticed that bars are missing from from the midi. All the %-bars I mean.
Last edited by Didii at Jun 16, 2011,
Here's what I "heard" when I listened to this. Note that you didn't have it in the file, its just what I could "hear" in my mind.

What I think is missing, is a set of 3 (not fast ones) triplets before the E7#9. The sense I get is a 3 triplet "build up" ascending slowly higher, in sequences. I can also hear where an outside idea that borrows from the Diminished scale would add a little kick to it.

Sean
Here are the new files. Made some adaptations too. Added a distortion guitar at the end. Had 2 possibilities in mind. First like in the song, keep it cozy like that. Second: the guitar-riff will becomes the main riff and drums will be added (so all before the distortion guitar is intro).

If you're listening to the midi, snap your fingers like this (on 'O'):
|xOxxOxOx|
|1e2e3e4e|

That's the main rhtyhm for the song. Woodblock plays it, but way too soft in the midi.
Attachments:
Libertango.gpx
Libertango.mid
Quote by Sean0913
Here's what I "heard" when I listened to this. Note that you didn't have it in the file, its just what I could "hear" in my mind.

What I think is missing, is a set of 3 (not fast ones) triplets before the E7#9. The sense I get is a 3 triplet "build up" ascending slowly higher, in sequences. I can also hear where an outside idea that borrows from the Diminished scale would add a little kick to it.

Sean

What I sense is that your knowledge of music is far beyond mine and I don't have a clue what you're trying to say. The triplets I should understand. But what about that outside idea? I know what a diminished scale is, but I've never actually used it before.
Could you give an example or something plz? Don't has to be specific about my song.