Page 1 of 2
I figure that should buy me something really nice. I can't decide what to get. I already have a Strat, which has been my one and only electric fro the past 15 years. (I've always been a huge Gilmour fan.). Now, I am starting to learn some improv. Jazz, and I think I am ready to add another guitar to my meager collection of 1 electric and 1 acoustic. I am leaning toward a 59 reisssue LP, but am open to suggestions. I really like the Breedlove Mark 1, but am worried about resale value. I love the looks of the PRSs but don't know if they put out the sound I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.
With that kind of money you could really be looking into a custom made build that would be tailored to everything you could want/need. I'm not too good with custom brands/builders but if you ask around on here you should get plenty of help
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Well, if I had that kind of money I would go for a 56' Goldtop LP, but that's just because I already have a strat...

I also love Pink Floyd, and Gilmour plays a 56' Goldtop LP too!

I've always preferred the punchy-ness of a Single Coil vs. the Fatness of a Humbucker.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPR6VO

Throw a Bigsby on it and we're in business!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/volusia1/Pink Floyd/gilmour-1.jpg?t=1272293623
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at Jun 16, 2011,
PRS without a doubt IMO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I would go PRS hollow body, 56' Les Paul Reissue Goldtop, or a 58' Reissue Les Paul. But as for the 58' vs. the 59', you should try both out and see which neck you like. But if you are really getting into Jazz, all these guitars would work. It's all personal preference. I love my 54' Les paul goldtop reissue for jazz (same as 56', different tail piece), but my friend loves using his PRS hollow body (the anniversary headstock looks awesome), and another one of my friends uses his 58' Les Paul reissue. All of them get the job done extremely well, just play as many guitars as you can and go from there.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Custom. Definitely custom. You have a chance to get a guitar that is 100% suited for you.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Something from blackmachine would be awesome, but he's not taking any more new custom orders.

Consider something from daemoness guitars? custom Carvin? custom PRS?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
custom PRS?

You'll need at least 10k$ for that...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
You'll need at least 10k$ for that...

Oh....

My dream just sank a little.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ah, the struggle of finding a good guitar under $5K...*giggle* Something from outside time & space just invaded my brain and made it all go flurfsnurgle.

At that price, there are all kinds of options. There are vintage guitars, custom guitars, customizable guitars like Carvin and premium brands like Ruokangas, Gottschall, Vigier, Veilette, Parker, Bacorn and so forth.*

While I have a big GAS list of particular models that fall in that price range, if I were shopping for a guitar for a particular task- as you seem to be- I would try to find a luthier to do a custom guitar...or at least see if he had something that was suited for my purposes.

* Jon Kammerer (I own 5 by this guy)
http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkgsale_005.htm

Bacorn Guitars
http://www.bacornguitars.com/

Ruokangas
http://www.ruokangas.com/

Gottschall
http://www.gottschall-guitars.de/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Wow. A lot of good suggestions today! I'll have to give the whole custom thing some more thought. I always thought, if I ever got a custom guitar made, it would be an exact replica of Doug Irwin's Tiger guitar. I'm not sure if that would totally fit my jazz needs, but then again, I dont think I want a guitar that will ONLY sound good when I play Jazz. That is what drew me to the LPs. I'll look into a bunch of custom luthiers before I make any decisions.

So what's the deal with 70's LPs? I am always hearing some years are good, some are bad, but I see a lot of good deals on pre-vintage 70s and early 80s LPs. If I were to go this route, what do I need to look out for?
i have two 1980 gibsons (Sonex's so they are the cheap ones at the time, and i paid less than $200 used for each one), and the quality seems quite respectable, they have held up for abuse for 31 years now, and sound great and function perfect. one is going to need a refret soon it has so much use.

so IMO 1980 wasn't a bad year, but they were spotty for a few years there.

also for boutique builders i would add Suhr to the list.

and honesly if you are going to be dropping that amount of cash go vintage, being vintage that will increase in value over time.

if you get a custom made guitar (beyond the usual suhr, anderson, etx), and wanted to sell it a year later, it would be worth maybe 50-60% of what you paid for it, and the more customization the less it will hold up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
go to a shop. play as many guitars as they will let you. make note of the ones you like. repeat at as many shops as possible.

seriously, if you have $5000 to spend on a guitar, you can probably afford to do the legwork to actually find the right guitar for your needs. there are quite literally thousands of options for you to choose from, so you should have no trouble at all finding something great.

if going to a shop isn't an option for you, maybe you shouldn't spend $5000 (that would be a bit much to spend sight-unseen on something so personal).
if you get a custom made guitar (beyond the usual suhr, anderson, etx), and wanted to sell it a year later, it would be worth maybe 50-60% of what you paid for it, and the more customization the less it will hold up.

In all fairness, that's going to be pretty much the case for any guitar unless you sell it directly to the next purchaser. Any reseller of used gear has to make a profit, so yeah, they're only going to pay 50% of what you bought the guitar for unless your last name is Clapton or Gilmour or the like.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
In all fairness, that's going to be pretty much the case for any guitar unless you sell it directly to the next purchaser. Any reseller of used gear has to make a profit, so yeah, they're only going to pay 50% of what you bought the guitar for unless your last name is Clapton or Gilmour or the like.

its steeper loss on the custom market though than the standard price range market. my point was really if you can find something you like that will hold its value better, certain vintage guitars, or maybe if you were to go with a high end and low production PRS maybe you would do better.

i have a 1/400 gibson produced in 2004 that is worth triple what it sold for. so thats why i say that.

in general a one off guitar from a luthier, speced out to your own specs, is going to take more of a hit. how do i know? i did it. not nearly as high end, but i got it and i can't get rid of it just for the sake of at the price it would go for isn't worth me parting with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i have a 1/400 gibson produced in 2004 that is worth triple what it sold for. so thats why i say that.

A well done limited release (guitars, comics, cars, lithographs, whatever) from a big name manufacturer is going to do well on value if there is anything resembling a collector's market.

I know this because I routinely deal with collectables.

Custom stuff generally follows the 50% rule stated above...unless you get something truly idiosyncratic and/or ugly. There is a custom Ferrari that Mike Tyson ordered at the pinnacle of his career, and sold when he went bankrupt.

It pops up on the car auction/sales circuit every few years. Apparently, it is hideous- I've only seen it in B&W photos- and despite it's history, it has never sold for any appreciable amount of money. It is often priced less than non-custom Ferraris of the same model.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 17, 2011,
being that i haven't seen too many posts back from OP, this may be a troll, as these types of threads often are.

but if i was going to spend $5k, it would be on two guitars not one. if it were me, i would get a Suhr Classic or a Suhr Modern, and some form of Gibson Les Paul Traditional. that would put you right on the mark.

what do you have for amplification?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you have $5000 to spend solely on a guitar, don't look into mass produced models. The world is your playing ground, found a proper builder and make the custom guitar of your dreams.

Carvin could make your 2-3 custom guitars to your exact specifications, but the only thing you'd have to spend extra on would be getting different pickups than the stock ones. I haven't heard a bad thing about their Custom Shop yet. Seriously, give it a try, build your own, and you'll get an immediate quote for the price.
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Spend 2500$ on a guitar, and 2500$ on Axe FX.

+1

I'd suggest a Gibson Es-335 since you said your into jazz, and worried about resale value
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by trashedlostfdup
being that i haven't seen too many posts back from OP, this may be a troll, as these types of threads often are.

but if i was going to spend $5k, it would be on two guitars not one. if it were me, i would get a Suhr Classic or a Suhr Modern, and some form of Gibson Les Paul Traditional. that would put you right on the mark.

what do you have for amplification?

This is a little out of left field, as nothing I have said so far can be construed as "trollish". If I dont post a whole lot, it is because I have a job that requires long hours, and three small children that get most of the rest of my time.

That aside, my current amp is a small Fender Champion 110 that I bought way back when I bought my strat. It has really been fine for my purposes up until now, as I am not playing professionally, and I have only been playing a strat through it. I plan on buying another amp soon as well, like maybe a Marshall tube amp or something similar.

Why the two guitars? What will the Suhr give me that the LP wont, or vice versa?
Quote by JAHellraiser
+1

I'd suggest a Gibson Es-335 since you said your into jazz, and worried about resale value

I thought about the ES-335, but I want something a little more versatile.

Anyone know anything about Moriarty Custom Guitars? After all this talk about custom guitars, I am seriously thinking about switching gears and getting a replica of the guitar I have always wanted.

✤ Cocobolo Top and Back
✤ Flamed-Maple Core
✤ 7-piece Cocobolo/Maple/Vermillion body lamination
✤ 7 piece Maple/Vermillion lamination Set-Neck design
✤ 9-piece headstock lamination configuration with Ebony Peg-head veneer.
✤ Gold Schaller Tuners
✤ 2 Dimarzio Super 2 Humbuckers with SDS-1 single coil
✤ Custom brass tailpiece, pickup-ring, jack-plate and switch-plate
✤ Waldo Unity Gain Buffer and effects loop are standard
✤ Military-grade Clarostat potentiometers
✤ Gold-plated brass barrel knobs
✤ Brass nut, (scalloped optional)
✤ Moriarty Guitars “MG” headstock Logo
✤ Custom-fit case with humidity control system
Attachments:
dsc_0035.jpg
dsc_0073.jpg
dsc_0032.jpg
Last edited by Sandman3769 at Jun 18, 2011,
you could check out Duesenberg guitars. I have a Duesenberg Starplayer TV, it is a really incredible guitar.
Those Suhrs do look nice. I would really like to try one out.

So nobody has any any experience with Moriarty customs?
Quote by Sandman3769
I thought about the ES-335, but I want something a little more versatile.

prs hollowbody 1, with piezo.

eargasm central.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
That Moriarty reminds me of the old Alembics... Any connection? *goes to Google*

Edit: Ahhh, replica of a guitar made from a let-off Alembic luthier who did some work for Jerry Garcia. I'd get it! Looks like the perfect instrument!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 20, 2011,
i would also consider a Huber in your shoes.

i haven't tried a Moriarty to comment on them.
What sort of amp are you using?

Amps are a huge part of it. You will get way better sound with a $300 guitar going through a $2000 amp compared to a $2000 guitar going through a $300 amp.

For that budget, I would be thinking a Les Paul Custom USA made or a PRS, either one going through a Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack.
Quote by Sandman3769
(I've always been a huge Gilmour fan.). Now, I am starting to learn some improv. Jazz, and I think I am ready to add another guitar to my meager collection of 1 electric and 1 acoustic. .

Quote by joesix
For that budget, I would be thinking a Les Paul Custom USA made or a PRS, either one going through a Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack.

ya gotta love EG.
Quote by joesix
What sort of amp are you using?

Amps are a huge part of it. You will get way better sound with a $300 guitar going through a $2000 amp compared to a $2000 guitar going through a $300 amp.

no no no. youve got it all wrong, he needs a 6505 full stack with two mesa recto 4x12"s

and make sure that the USA made les paul is not an epiphone, but a real gibson

on a serious note, we do need to know what you are using for amplification.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I called Moriarty, and am waiting for a call back.

I'll work on upgrading my amp after I take care of the guitar. I am using my old Fender Champion 110. It sounds great with my Strat. But seriously, as much as I love playing my guitar for myself, friends and family, I dont think I will be performing anywhere any time soon, so I dont want a huge set up. Are there any small tube amps that sound great? Treat me like I dont know anything about amplifiers..................because I dont.
Quote by Sandman3769
I called Moriarty, and am waiting for a call back.

I'll work on upgrading my amp after I take care of the guitar. I am using my old Fender Champion 110. It sounds great with my Strat. But seriously, as much as I love playing my guitar for myself, friends and family, I dont think I will be performing anywhere any time soon, so I dont want a huge set up. Are there any small tube amps that sound great? Treat me like I dont know anything about amplifiers..................because I dont.

yes, this cost me $325. its an old fender champ. it sounds glorious.

what you should do is make a thread in GG&A (guitar gear and accessories).
include budget, genres you play, the fact that you only play at home, and what gear you have etc. you will get some good responses.
Page 1 of 2