So guys, Im gonna record some new stuff. the question here is i usually play alone so One gutiar for rhythm then solo (solo has rhythm guitar).... i dont mean 'one' by limiting to one track (like no double tracking) but like one instrument/one voice most of the time.
so how would you record this, have the rhythm fixed and have a new tone for the solo guitar or have a lead guitar (the first part and then smoothly into the solo) and a rhythm guitar that'd have a different tone?

also any good free Bass VSTi?? Im using kontakt now (the player and the factory selection's Classic Bass) but it doesnt seem to cut it that well...
Trilogy > for bass ( not free however, but it's the only decent one )

Anyways for the guitars, what I do, is just pick my favorite lead, then see what rythm distortions work. Regardless of the rhythm distortion, if you do a good panning system and a good mixing, it will sound well.

What could help you though, is to actually chose a distortion that sounds middy for rythm, and for leads have something warm
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Jun 16, 2011,
it completely depends on the song. if the song is really based around one guitar and the rhythm part is just something subtle to fill in the back, go for a similar tone to the main part. something along the lines of playing live and engaging a boost with a bit of volume and a touch of gain (to taste). then the rhythm guitar is what is different and fills in the lacking sound.

other times the solo is really meant to be a new lead voice. in that case, i stick with the same rhythm tone as the rest of the track, and then the lead is something new that complements it.

neither is right, neither is wrong, it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
hmm trilogy is actually a huge VST about 40gbs iirc... anything at least around 1gb?? or 2gb?

as for the voices thanx for the ideas. how would you actually mix the lead into the following setup: double tracked voice (two guitars recorded one on each side) and single tracked lead. the double track gives me a huge stereo image but the solo needs something as well cause it gets drained in there
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm trilogy is actually a huge VST about 40gbs iirc... anything at least around 1gb?? or 2gb?

as for the voices thanx for the ideas. how would you actually mix the lead into the following setup: double tracked voice (two guitars recorded one on each side) and single tracked lead. the double track gives me a huge stereo image but the solo needs something as well cause it gets drained in there

A really cool thing to do with solos that I've heard used quite a bit is to do 2 takes (NOT just copy pasting the solo, but 2 physical takes) with maybe a very slightly different tone on each, maybe one with a tiny bit more gain or something. And then pan each 20 or 30% L and R. It gives a very, very cool vibe (imo). Try it out and see what you think.
Great guitar work, but the mix felt a little empty. The rhythm guitars need to be double tracked, and I don't know if there's a true way around it if you want a fuller mix. When I track a solo, I do two rhythm tracks, one right, one left, distortion and EQ only. For the lead, I usually put an effect on it like chorus or wah. The amount of effect is dependent on the song and how much I need the lead to stand out. Also, believe it or not, a bass track will help, since it helps to hold the mix together. Hope that helps!

EDIT: I didn't realize there was a bassline in that track until I re-read the OP. I've found that Ableton Live's bass VSTi's work really well, but they're exclusive to that program unless you write the part and export the WAV file.
Last edited by BrandonBeaux at Jun 18, 2011,
i use 4front bass vst.it sounds pretty good and its free although the vst itself doesn't offer any adjustable parameters so that has to be done in the mix
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
well you know the bass might not be audible there much may be cause of my stupid comp speakers. i didnt bother giving it a real listen... my speakers don't have much bass in em so i have to turn it up to listen to it but that's gonna be super woofy on good speakers (i know that's a vague definition but think of something as a normal human, 2 legs 2 arms... difference a lot but it's not like that it's missing the bottom legs which is already not normal/fine/good)

also about double tracking. hmm you think it doesnt really sound full??
Quote by Eggmond
i use 4front bass vst.it sounds pretty good and its free although the vst itself doesn't offer any adjustable parameters so that has to be done in the mix

Can you post a sample to show us how it sounds ?
The symphonizer
Quote by Sympho
Can you post a sample to show us how it sounds ?

this is how it sounds at its worst. its not great at fast staccato pieces like this paul gilbert track so i picked it to give you a better idea of its limitations.it sounds much more realistic at slower picked stuff
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Eggmond/music/all/play1012563
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
this is how it sounds at its worst. its not great at fast staccato pieces like this paul gilbert track so i picked it to give you a better idea of its limitations.it sounds much more realistic at slower picked stuff
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Eggmond/music/all/play1012563

Thank you very much for the sample !

How do you proceed to make it real ?
The symphonizer
score the track as midi and add the VSTi to the fx chain of the track.i usually score the midi using tux guitar and export it to reaper rather then using reapers midi editor cos i find it quicker and easier but thats down to personal preference.fx can be added after the VSTi in the chain the same as you would a normal audio track

EDIT: if you listen to the song 'Depend' on my profile it will give you a better idea of what it sounds like in context
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Last edited by Eggmond at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by Eggmond
score the track as midi and add the VSTi to the fx chain of the track.i usually score the midi using tux guitar and export it to reaper rather then using reapers midi editor cos i find it quicker and easier but thats down to personal preference.fx can be added after the VSTi in the chain the same as you would a normal audio track

EDIT: if you listen to the song 'Depend' on my profile it will give you a better idea of what it sounds like in context

Checked your profile ! I can't find the songs! It's weird because I was able to last night, but now i can';t
The symphonizer
its working now
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\