My drummers lease is expiring and he cant find a place to live. I have a room available I am considering letting him rent so he doesn't have to move back home (in another city). Even though I dont really like living with roommates, I could tolerate it to keep the whole band situation more convenient.

Has anyone had any experience living with band members? Does seeing the person constantly adversely affect the band? If so, I may not offer...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
My drummers lease is expiring and he cant find a place to live.

I stopped reading here, only a total dickhole would even consider seeing someone they even vaguely care about go homeless on the off-chance that it affects their band relationship with them. It probably won't anyway, I know I wouldn't argue over lyrics or something with someone who was putting me up, and as long you don't constantly pull the "I'm letting you live with me so I'm right!" card then it should be fine
You'll end smoking pot every day, which means neither of you will ever leave the house unless you're out of food and snacks.

On a more serious note I agree with ^
If he can't find his own/another place on such short notice the only right thing would be to let him crash at your place, if you truly are his friend.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I stopped reading here, only a total dickhole would even consider seeing someone they even vaguely care about go homeless on the off-chance that it affects their band relationship with them. It probably won't anyway, I know I wouldn't argue over lyrics or something with someone who was putting me up, and as long you don't constantly pull the "I'm letting you live with me so I'm right!" card then it should be fine

Let me rephrase. He cant find a place to live in tucson. If he doesn't when his lease expires, he will have to move back to phoenix.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
Let me rephrase. He cant find a place to live in tucson. If he doesn't when his lease expires, he will have to move back to phoenix.

Ah right, fair enough. In that case I would still recommend having him live with you if you really want to carry on the band, I don't know how far apart those two places are but I'm guessing it would be inconvenient to have him in a different town/city/whatever, and if you're in a band with him you must at least be mates with him. Also, now I know he's not poor you can get him to pay half of the rent
I too live in Arizona. It's about a 2 hour drive between the two. Scheduling practice is gonna be a bitch.
I'd suggest letting him move in until he finds a place.

But, if you're anything like me, you'll end up hating him very quickly and you'll ruin the band if you let it go on for too long!

But then again you might be a nice person!

Though a warning, one of my band's lead guitarist had a similar situation so he's moved into another member's home studio, now he won't leave...though I dunno what your drummer is like.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'd suggest letting him move in until he finds a place.

But, if you're anything like me, you'll end up hating him very quickly and you'll ruin the band if you let it go on for too long!

Maybe, but by then he could have found a place of his own, and to be honest if two friends/bandmates can't live together for a few months without fighting then it probably wasn't going to work out anyway

Also, unrelated but your Shinzou cover is excellent, I was impressed enough that you'd heard of them even before you nailed it, well done
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Maybe, but by then he could have found a place of his own, and to be honest if two friends/bandmates can't live together for a few months without fighting then it probably wasn't going to work out anyway

Also, unrelated but your Shinzou cover is excellent, I was impressed enough that you'd heard of them even before you nailed it, well done

I'm a very closed off person.
And if I spend too much time with one person I end up feeling harsh feelings towards them. And I've known a few people who are similar.
Though there are a few people who I'm cool with, funnily enough, I'd probably be cool living with my drummer for a bit.

And that was very unexpected! Thanks! I've recently turned into a massive Aicle fan. The next step is getting giant hair.
Wow there must be a lot of people in this thread still living with their parents, or who haven't lived in a group house before. Basically living with other people is hard, and you have to pick them carefully.

If I was given this situation, I wouldn't let him in because he can't find a place in a city of 500,000+ and the fact he'll have to leave if he doesn't get a place indicates he is not studying, or in a good job.

Next you're inviting a drumset into your house, enough said.

How often will you get time to yourself? Even at band practice your roommate is still there.

I don't move in with friends though. The first time I did that was with 4 of my closeet buddies and it just fell apart. We all left after a year, didn't talk to my "best friend" for about a year later. Same thing is happening with my sister now too. So just because a friend cannot find a place to live does not mean you have to sacrifice your own sanity so that they don't go homeless, which they won't if they try hard enough.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by SilentHeaven109

It's none of the OP's business what happens to the band member.

You're doing the "easier said than done" syndrome. Way too many factors to consider before letting someone move in. Unless the OP literally is with the person so much that they might as well be Siamese twins, this could end pretty badly.

Quote by AlanHB
Wow there must be a lot of people in this thread still living with their parents, or who haven't lived in a group house before. Basically living with other people is hard, and you have to pick them carefully.

If I was given this situation, I wouldn't let him in because he can't find a place in a city of 500,000+ and the fact he'll have to leave if he doesn't get a place indicates he is not studying, or in a good job.

Next you're inviting a drumset into your house, enough said.

How often will you get time to yourself? Even at band practice your roommate is still there.

I don't move in with friends though. The first time I did that was with 4 of my closeet buddies and it just fell apart. We all left after a year, didn't talk to my "best friend" for about a year later. Same thing is happening with my sister now too. So just because a friend cannot find a place to live does not mean you have to sacrifice your own sanity so that they don't go homeless, which they won't if they try hard enough.

THIS ^^^^
if my basist needede a place to stay I would gladly offer it up, my drummer... I would let him stay if he needed to...

it depends on the guy honestly.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by AtomicBirdy
It's none of the OP's business what happens to the band member.

You're doing the "easier said than done" syndrome. Way too many factors to consider before letting someone move in. Unless the OP literally is with the person so much that they might as well be Siamese twins, this could end pretty badly.

At this point I was under the impression that the other guy would be homeless if TS didn't let him in, and I stand by the fact that anyone who would let a friend go homeless, if they didn't have family they could fall back on or whatever, on the off chance that they might argue or something is a bit of a dick. Thankfully, this isn't the case.

Seems I'm a bit of an exception here, I've never really had problems living with other people, I've spent the last year living with people I'm not all that keen on and it hasn't been too bad at all, as long as you give each other a bit of space and don't start arguments over petty stuff then there shouldn't be many problems, in my opinion.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
And that was very unexpected! Thanks! I've recently turned into a massive Aicle fan. The next step is getting giant hair.

Good choice I'm growing my hair out to try and get a more visual style, I'll probably wimp out and cut it at some point but I can say I tried!
I've been making a point of looking at things in people sigs, it's only fair that I do that if I expect other people to read my reviews in my sig *hinthint!* and it was nice to find some JRock among all the Nirvana and Metallica covers
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Jun 17, 2011,
Letting him stay MAY adversely affect your band.

Not letting him stay WILL adversely affect your band.

It's a no-brainer.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Good choice I'm growing my hair out to try and get a more visual style, I'll probably wimp out and cut it at some point but I can say I tried!
I've been making a point of looking at things in people sigs, it's only fair that I do that if I expect other people to read my reviews in my sig *hinthint!* and it was nice to find some JRock among all the Nirvana and Metallica covers

Yeah I'm gonna be doing the same, though nothing too extreme!
And that's a good mindset to have, because of it I'll check out your stuff. Good job I like Heavy Rain and MGS4
Quote by AlanHB

'strue, although of all the people I've known from uni & beyond who've lived with friends, I can't remember any houses that fell apart. In fact, thinking about it, almost everyone I know lives with people they were already friends with when they moved in, have done for years in a lot of cases, and there's been no big bust-ups yet, so for the TSer, I think YMMdefinitelyV on this.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
I shared an apartment with my best friend for a little over a year. It worked out fine for the most part. Really, it comes down to everyone pulling their share - both financially and domestically, respecting each other's space and their needs, and compatibility of personalities.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.