In August, I'm taking a month off work and taking a long road trip around the US. I'm starting in Ontario and heading East to South Dakota to see the Badlands, then south through Colorado and Utah to see the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I'll probably end up heading straight back to Canada from there. This isn't my first road trip (I went to the Maritimes and to Calgary with some buddies) but this will be my first time going solo.

Any road trip tips or suggestions of places I should visit that's roughly around that route? I took a lot of time off so I could have some flexibility so I don't mind going a bit out of the way to see something nice. I hear Colorado and Utah are beautiful this time of year. Also, I'm not too experienced with driving in the US so any tips there would be helpful.

inb4 you gonna get raped
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
if you have time between colorado and the grand canyon, check out canyonlands/zion national parks in utah. i wasn't able to check them out when i drove through utah last summer, but i really wanted to. that whole area looked really awesome at night.
Go Veg.
From Colorado to Arizona: Go the route that takes you to Los Alamos, NM. It's just a little po-dunk town... but there are some neat museums that deal with the laboratory (where they created the first Nuclear Bomb). There are some absolutely staggering views. If you go to Los Alamos, take the time to drive the 10 minutes down to White Rock Overlook... you can just stand for hours and look, can see 60 miles to the south.

It's pretty close to Santa Fe as well... so you could hit Santa Fe which has a cool downtown area that is usually bopping with live musicians and has a lively art culture.
Quote by im not mental
if you have time between colorado and the grand canyon, check out canyonlands/zion national parks in utah. i wasn't able to check them out when i drove through utah last summer, but i really wanted to. that whole area looked really awesome at night.

Good call. Some relatives of mine went there and said it was one of the most amazing places they've ever been too. I'll definitely check that out.

Quote by ZanasCross
From Colorado to Arizona: Go the route that takes you to Los Alamos, NM. It's just a little po-dunk town... but there are some neat museums that deal with the laboratory (where they created the first Nuclear Bomb). There are some absolutely staggering views. If you go to Los Alamos, take the time to drive the 10 minutes down to White Rock Overlook... you can just stand for hours and look, can see 60 miles to the south.

It's pretty close to Santa Fe as well... so you could hit Santa Fe which has a cool downtown area that is usually bopping with live musicians and has a lively art culture.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the tips guys.

How are the roads down south? Should I take back roads or stick to the interstate?
Last edited by i_am_teh_walrus at Jun 16, 2011,
Sedona (in AZ) is really cool if you like hiking. Some awesome scenery around there. Its a couple hours south of the grand canyon.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
Sedona (in AZ) is really cool if you like hiking. Some awesome scenery around there. Its a couple hours south of the grand canyon.

how could i forget sedona? ts, go here too.
Go Veg.
Quote by i_am_teh_walrus
In August, I'm taking a month off work and taking a long road trip around the US. I'm starting in Ontario and heading East to South Dakota to see the Badlands, then south through Colorado and Utah to see the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I'll probably end up heading straight back to Canada from there. This isn't my first road trip (I went to the Maritimes and to Calgary with some buddies) but this will be my first time going solo.

Any road trip tips or suggestions of places I should visit that's roughly around that route? I took a lot of time off so I could have some flexibility so I don't mind going a bit out of the way to see something nice. I hear Colorado and Utah are beautiful this time of year. Also, I'm not too experienced with driving in the US so any tips there would be helpful.

inb4 you gonna get raped

do it brother! the world is a beautiful place...im doing the same thing before i move out to cali! have fun man
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by i_am_teh_walrus
How are the roads down south? Should I take back roads or stick to the interstate?

Im not sure of the condition of the roads, but road trips are always much better by taking the roads less traveled, i would suggest back roads for the full road trip experience
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Come to Playtime Pizza in Arkansas.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
Quote by ripdime04
do it brother! the world is a beautiful place...im doing the same thing before i move out to cali! have fun man

Yeah it should be awesome. I was originally planning to go to Australia but there is something more appealing about experiencing a journey rather than the just the destination. Flying on a plane to get where you want just sorta bypasses all that.
Avoid Oklahoma at all costs.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Other than the national parks, Utah sucks (I've actaully never been to any of the national parks in Utah, so I don't know). The mountain scenery is awesome up north, and if you are the outdoors type there is plenty to do. It's better in fall though.
Quote by wizards?
Come hang out with me in Minnesota. I'm sure we've got the world's largest something.

Mall.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by HowToFly
Im not sure of the condition of the roads, but road trips are always much better by taking the roads less traveled, i would suggest back roads for the full road trip experience

naaah. stick to the interstate. you'll get there faster, waste less gas. highways are frustrating cause they're constantly turning into 30 mph zones.
#DTWD
I'm from AZ!

My friends and I are going to be in Northern AZ and Southern Utah in the last week of July-the first of August.

Let know if you want to shoot an Ak47 or M4.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.