I just bought a new guitar with an Original Floyd Rose on it. I have heard that drop tunings with floyds don't work to well, that there isn't enough tension when you drop low. Is this true? And would drop C be too low if that is true? I'd like to have it in drop C, because thats where my band usually plays at, but I'd be alright with drop C# or drop D if I had to.

(I did search through the floyd rose setup thread, it didn't answer my question.)
League of Legends - Shieldelf

Quote by behind_you
vic are you drunk

Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.

Quote by Spoony_Bard
We can't wait for you to pull it out Chuche.
Last edited by ngSyn at Jun 16, 2011,
Well, I've gotten drop C with the licensed floyds... never tried it with the original.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
yeah drop c will be fine, u will just need to adjust the tension in the springs so its not backinto the body
i used to play an original floyd in B standard and it was fine, just had to add an extra spring in the back!
My Jackson is tuned in Drop B , and it's all fine. You have the compensente the tension by loosening the lower string springs.
It's a bit more complicated when it comes to string changes , but nothing impossible to sort out.

EDIT : I have 4 springs
- - - - - - - - - - -
Alright, so I'll probably need to put the 4th string in. Good to know. But how does it complicate string changing?

Quote by behind_you
vic are you drunk

Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Your search didn't bring anything back because there's probably only like .001% of the people on here that actually know what they're talking about with tremolos.

You should buy another pack of springs, pop open your back, it'll probably be set up like a triangle. Pull the side ones out and hook them up straight like the one in the middle is, then add two more springs in between them all.

Buy some 11 or 12's, depending on your preference.

Tighten them up, see if you're anywhere near the tuning you want when they all have the same tension, then go to the screws that hold the piece that holds the ring side of the springs. Tighten them if you're flat, loosen if you're sharp, probably by like, a half turn at a time, then recheck your tuning. If you're drop tuning, loosen the screw on the heavy strings side about one quarter turn to compensate.

Youtube it if you're having trouble following me.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Alright, I use 11's on my SG, and have a few packs lying around. I'll use those. I think I'm following you.

Quote by behind_you
vic are you drunk

Quote by R. Shackleford.

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by HavokStrife
Your search didn't bring anything back because there's probably only like .001% of the people on here that actually know what they're talking about with tremolos.

You should buy another pack of springs, pop open your back, it'll probably be set up like a triangle. Pull the side ones out and hook them up straight like the one in the middle is, then add two more springs in between them all.

Buy some 11 or 12's, depending on your preference.

Tighten them up, see if you're anywhere near the tuning you want when they all have the same tension, then go to the screws that hold the piece that holds the ring side of the springs. Tighten them if you're flat, loosen if you're sharp, probably by like, a half turn at a time, then recheck your tuning. If you're drop tuning, loosen the screw on the heavy strings side about one quarter turn to compensate.

Youtube it if you're having trouble following me.

This.

And they dont have trouble with drop tunings, its just a wee more difficult when you wan to change tunings on the fly. If you're playing a song in B standard then wanna play a song in drop D, you're gonna have issues.

My OFR has been in drop A, B, C, and D and never had a single issue.

BTW, for drop C and B, I like Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's. They keep perfect tension for me. You may or may not like them, they're thick as hell.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Jun 16, 2011,