Hey all! I'm proud to announce that I just got a new valveking 100 watt halfstack! it sounds epic, but my leads don't exactly sing. Obviously, I've heard people say to get a tubescreamer, and all my problems will be solved. however, I already have a boss overdrive pedal, and I wanted to know if I could use it as a boost to achieve the effect that a tubescreamer would give me. Any advice??? Thanks!
the boss might do, but the VK's seem to sound better when you run them with a tubescreamer or a bad monkey.

with your boss, set the gain to 0, the tone where ever you like it, and the volume to 10 to tighten up your sound like you would do with a tubescreamer or similar pedal
You'll want the gain on on 1 or 2 actually, otherwise the pedal won't do much.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Is it the Boss SD-1? Then yes, you're good to go. Set the drive at 0, start with tone and level at 12 o'clock and tweak from there. More level drives the preamp tubes harder, more tone gives you a more focused tone but can end up very shrill and noisy if you don't have a gate.

Quote by robertito696
You'll want the gain on on 1 or 2 actually, otherwise the pedal won't do much.

I'm sorry but what? As far as I know it's pretty much a tubescreamer with asymmetrical clipping, which means that the volume and tone knobs work perfectly fine with the drive at 0.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Ascendant

I'm sorry but what? As far as I know it's pretty much a tubescreamer with asymmetrical clipping, which means that the volume and tone knobs work perfectly fine with the drive at 0.

Whenever I roll the gain completely off on my OD it ends up significantly weaker. By putting the gain on just a bit, ~8:30, it boosts a lot better. I don't know how TSs pedal will react, maybe no gain will sound better, but its at least worth noting that sometimes a bit of gain helps.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
Whenever I roll the gain completely off on my OD it ends up significantly weaker. By putting the gain on just a bit, ~8:30, it boosts a lot better. I don't know how TSs pedal will react, maybe no gain will sound better, but its at least worth noting that sometimes a bit of gain helps.

Sounds a bit strange, though I've never tried any of the digitech stuff. But I agree there's no harm in putting it close to 0, hell you can put it on 10 o'clock and you still won't really notice the pedal distortion when running through a high gain amp.
yeah that'll be fine. certainly if it's an sd1, it's very similar to a tubescreamer (not identical, but it's a similar idea except a little edgier in tone, and has asymmetrical rather than symmetrical clipping, iirc).

I think even the built-in boost for the vk is solid state, so it's probably similar to an od pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?