Hey guys, i'm all for getting/using unusual or rare gear, I've recently come across two cabs i'm quite interested in. One is a Sound City 4 x 12 cabinet which is pretty new, the other is a strange "VAMP" 4 x 12 cabinet which is really tall and thin which is pretty strange for a guitar cabinet, the second cab would come with no speakers so it'd cost a bit more to become usuable. There's only £20 difference between the price I could get either for, which do you think would be the best to get in your humble opinions?

I play experimental alternative heavy rock, stuff ranging from QOTSA, Mastodon, Goatsnake, Melvins, Kyuss, Tool, NIN, early Foo Fighters, Truck Fighters etc
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Well I think the most obvious choice would be the Sound City, I can't imagine why you'd even think about the second one unless it's some super b00teek cab that I don't know about.

Plus even if you don't like the speakers in the sound city you can always replace them with new ones of your choice which you'd have to do with the Vamp cab anyway.
I've always liked the look of the sound city stuff but the other cab seems very interesting to me, i think it would sound pretty unique, it'd be a little bit of a project but i think it'd be something different. I'm all for getting a different sound. It would take a bit longer to get going though due to needing to buy some good speakers of course. I think if the vamp cab is worth more or less the same as the sound city then it must be fairly good even though i cant find any info on it! Hard to decide what to do hence my question :p
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by qotsakyuss
I've always liked the look of the sound city stuff but the other cab seems very interesting to me, i think it would sound pretty unique, it'd be a little bit of a project but i think it'd be something different. I'm all for getting a different sound. It would take a bit longer to get going though due to needing to buy some good speakers of course. I think if the vamp cab is worth more or less the same as the sound city then it must be fairly good even though i cant find any info on it! Hard to decide what to do hence my question :p

Sounds to me like this is more of a question you should ask yourself.

Most people on this forum are gonna say "go for the complete one, dummy."

So your options are:
A) Take the easy, cheaper way out and buy the 'Ready' cab.
B) Take the road traveled by few and build the other cab to your own tastes with speakers and the such, but that'll cost you a good sum of cash and time.

If you're adamant about finding your own tone and putting heart and effort into your setup, then B) is probably the right choice.

If you're a cheap-o and you like a functioning set-up so you can save for that beautiful PRS 2011 Custom 24 10-Top with Pattern Thin Neck like me, then A) is the right choice.
...as below so above and beyond I imagine.
I think you've actually convinced me B is the right choice for me my friend! haha You're right, I've always wanted something different so it makes sense to go a bit nuts and try make something completely different. May take me longer but i'll probably be more satisfied in the end after the effort I think so option B sounds right to me Thanks!
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab