Hey guys, for my Uni project I'm looking into whether someone's social upbringing determines what types of music they listen to.

I'd like to strike up some kind of debate see what you all think ?

I've got a survey, if you could fill it out it would be awesome.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TPRXZYB

Edit:
Tweaked it slightly to improve the accuracy of the results and added Canada, ICELAND and a bunch of others I stupidly forgot to include to the country choices (sorry over there!)

If I have still forgotten some of you please say so in the post and I will add it in and PM you so you can answer the questions

I forget how spread out we all are on UG!
Last edited by Zanon at Jun 16, 2011,
My Father is an Earl and my Mother is a Lady in Waiting.

I like heavy metal. Society won't like it, but I don't care.
No, Core's wern't on the genre list so i refuse.

I refuse to be a part of metal
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Jun 16, 2011,
Done.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Sorry I'm Canadian, therefore cannot participate in your survey because of the last question.
Upper middle class upbringing in the suburbs causes teens to listen to songs about living in the ghetto and shooting at cops for some reason.
Middle class and I listen to classical, metal and rock. So shoot me?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
This is interesting, I'll do it.

My theory is lower-income backgrounds will prefer pop and hip-hop and associated whereas the middle class will prefer a more diverse range but with a lot of indie in there.

This is just going from the people I know though, would like to see the results.

Quote by Lost Dog
Upper middle class upbringing in the suburbs causes teens to listen to songs about living in the ghetto and shooting at cops for some reason.

I also agree with this, although in a lot of the cases I've seen it's hipsters, so potentially it's for "ironic" purposes.
Last edited by benonbass1 at Jun 16, 2011,
I'm not sure there is a correlation between social class and taste in music. I am working / lower middle class and have a (reasonably) broad taste in music, ranging from Sinatra to Dylan to The Streets to Burial to ELO to Fleetwood Mac to The Human League to Bowie. A lot of this music I was brought up on and haven't really "rebelled" as many do (apart from the whole 12 year old Nirvana stage).

However, I find most people who are of similar "class" just like music they hear on the radio (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with; that's not a judgement, just an observation) and loud techno-y / bassy music.

I reckon the results will be skewed on this forum though. Generally speaking, users of this site (and guitar players in general) are middle class and "more into music" than simply listening to the charts.

I realise a lot of generalisations were made in this post.
Last edited by fender_696 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Zanon
Just realized i forgot canada and classical on the survey :/ gonna fix it

Thank you!

I'm done.

And I'll always be here to remind you that my country exists.
Quote by Zanon
Hey guys, for my Uni project I'm looking into whether someone's social upbringing determines what types of music they listen to.

Edit: Tweaked it slightly to improve the accuracy of the results and added Canada, ICELAND and a bunch of others I stupidly forgot to include to the country choices (sorry over there!)

If I have still forgotten some of you please say so in the post and I will add it in and PM you so you can answer the questions

You forgot Canada

your lucky I love doing surveys for some strange reason
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Done. At my school I can clearly see that from the "lower" education level most people listen rap, hiphop, mainstream, hardcore and sometimes metal, the middle level is mostly hiphop and mainstream but also more alternative people who listen like punk or rock, and a few metalheads again, and in the highest education level you see not much metalheads, much alternative guys, and also a high percentage of the usual hiphop and mainstream shit. Also a few classical dudies btw. Also i see that how older the people are how more they stand open for alternative styles of music.

Thats what i see in my school xD
Quote by <<I>>
Done. At my school I can clearly see that from the "lower" education level most people listen rap, hiphop, mainstream, hardcore and sometimes metal, the middle level is mostly hiphop and mainstream but also more alternative people who listen like punk or rock, and a few metalheads again, and in the highest education level you see not much metalheads, much alternative guys, and also a high percentage of the usual hiphop and mainstream shit. Also a few classical dudies btw. Also i see that how older the people are how more they stand open for alternative styles of music.

Thats what i see in my school xD

Well this research is fundamental to finding out whether certain stereotypes are true !
Took the survey.

Personally, I think it has more to do with who you hang out with & what yr exposed to than with yr economic status. I mean, I know plenty of rich kids who are into hip-hop & pop, and working class kids who are into indie & jazz.

I mean, my family's upper-middle class, or maybe even upper class, I dunno. And my younger sister is into lots of modern pop music & hip-hop, while I'm more of a '70s punk/'80's & '90s indie kinda guy with an growing interest in jazz & classical music. She's kinda part of the "in crowd" I guess, while I was more of an introverted loner in high school.
Quote by IommiPage
You're missing an <18 option for age, therefore can not accurately complete your survey.

this
Quote by Zanon

Edit:
Tweaked it slightly to improve the accuracy of the results and added Canada, ICELAND and a bunch of others I stupidly forgot to include to the country choices (sorry over there!)

Your littel survey doesent have a Finland as option on nationality...
I was going to do it, but in genre choice, you seem to not understand alphabetical order. I'm not searching through that shit.
Upper middle class of Sweden. Listen to punk, folk, classical, indie and I consider myself a leftist. I don't know if there's any associations to be made between upbringing and musical taste.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
punk isn't even a genre.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I can't do this because sludge metal and grindcore aren't on the list. Neither is electrogrind, electrocore, cybercore, or cybergrind.
MATTERHORN