I'm getting a 20 watt Jet City amp, but I'm not sure whether to get the combo or the mini-stack. Does either one sound better than the other? Is one louder than the other? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks.
the stack is easier to carry around and you can upgrade your head and cab as you see fit

the combo is probably cheaper(not sure) and has everything in one box so takes up less room(again not sure)

if i were you id get the stack if you can afford it
If you can save up, the Vox Night Train 15w > Jet City 20w. It wipes the floor with it all day.

You should steer away from anything made in china.

This isn't supposed to be a flame, just advice from someone who has tried both.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Also, the combo is $299 and the ministack is $350... the nite train looks like it will cost around $700 for the head and cab...
The head/cab won't really be any louder than the combo.

There will probably be slight volume boosts between different cab sizes, but if you have like a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 head/cab it'll have the same volume.
The tone will be very close with only very slight differences that won't be big enough to notice.

I always prefer the idea of a head and cab due to the fact you can change cab, easily transport (well I don't think the Jet City combo is too monstrous, but there are some heavy combos out there! Hell my Cornford Roadhouse head is real heavy!) and a few other slight ease of use gains. Like, it always seems easier to change valves on heads over cabs...but that might just be how I'm looking at it.

Anyway, I'd also suggest looking at waiting a bit. The Jet City JCA22h is coming out soon (I think...) which has two channels, an effects loop, and generally better features than the 20h. It also won't come at a massive price increase compared to the regular 20h.
When does the JCA22h come out? I also read it's going to cost $400 just for the head... with the cab that brings up the total again out of my price range.
Last edited by CuatroSD at Jun 16, 2011,
It's generally been my experience that head+cab setups produce more bottom end than combos, probably because the speaker cab is bigger. Other than that, not much changes.
Eh after finding out that the head doesn't have reverb i think im gonna go with the combo
The JCA22H will come out in July, if I read the Jet City thread right.

As for which to get, I would say the head/cab combination. It won't be any louder than the combo, but if you feel like swapping heads or cabs, it won't be as big a deal. You can still plug in another cab to run instead of or along side the built-in 12" speaker of the combo, but you'll never be able to ditch it completely without turning it into a head/cab anyway.
Quote by Funk Monk
If you can save up, the Vox Night Train 15w > Jet City 20w. It wipes the floor with it all day.

According to my tech, as far as the components in the Jet City's, they are actually very good considering the price of the amp. His only complaints were the pots and transformers. New tubes took care of most of my complaints with it.

I seriously doubt the Night Train isn't made in Mexico or Asia somewhere. Also it costs twice as much as a JCA20H. Derp.
Quote by ChrisBW
I seriously doubt the Night Train isn't made in Mexico or Asia somewhere. Also it costs twice as much as a JCA20H. Derp.

Made and assembled in Vietnam.

I'm sure the Night Train will love you long time more than Jet City.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ChrisBW
According to my tech, as far as the components in the Jet City's, they are actually very good considering the price of the amp. His only complaints were the pots and transformers. New tubes took care of most of my complaints with it.

You must not know much about regional production. The quality of something made in Mexico, Vietnam, South Korea, and Japan far exceed the quality of China. Just in the few I named there is a huge amount of difference, and I personally love working on gear made in South Korea like schecter and the PRS imports as well. EVH amps are made in Mexico, and while I am sceptical of the amp as of right now, I would take a mexican EVH over a Chinese EVH.

The Keyword here is CHINA.

It's sound is good for the price yes, but the thing is going to perform very poorly once it starts getting moved around a bit. I personally think it sounds really sucked up and muffled with the stock tubes and not much of a tonal range but I suppose it's your money.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jun 16, 2011,
you have no clue what you're talking about.

the tiny terror and the dual terror are tanks compared to the night train.

oh shit. we're talking about the JCA.

thing's built like a tank.

night train.

jca.

one of these is nicely laid out with 1 percent tolerance resistors. the other is laid out like a vomit cluster****.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Funk Monk
It's sound is good for the price yes, but the thing is going to perform very poorly once it starts getting moved around a bit. I personally think it sounds really sucked up and muffled with the stock tubes and not much of a tonal range but I suppose it's your money.

I don't get this... where did you get your insight on the EVH 5150 III despite the fact that its not even been released?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Funk Monk

Too bad the Jet City amp sounds amazing compared to the mediocre Night Train.

Also, lots of stuff made in China is fine. Everyone I know who owns a Jet City loves the amp, and they haven't had any problems with it.

Quote by Funk Monk

The Keyword here is CHINA.

This is just an ignorant string of posts.

TS. The Jet City is a great amp. Personally I'd go for the stack, but the combo is fine too. The stack will be easier to transport, and it will be easier if you upgrade later.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I don't know why anyone would ever suggest a Night Train for anything. The tone stack only works for the clean channel. Whose idea was that? The crunch channel literally only has one sound.
i had the JCA2112RC and thought it was really bland. the reverb was quite nice however. it seemed to be a one trick pony. i returned it after swaping some tubes in from other amps, still didn't like it, put the stockers back in and set it back to MF.

not to mention that that wasthe second one, the first one smoked witin a minute of being on after a loud pop.

i don't like the night train either, but if its between the JCA and the VT, i would go JCA.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/