Hi, I'm in the market for a new guitar and i'm looking to spend about a grand, although i'm a bit flexible either way
I've been looking a lot at the new Ibanez Rg 920 premium and i think that is what i am going to go with (after i get a hold of one to try out of course)
so anyway i want to know if you guys have had any experience with these guitars and know if they are worth the money...and also some other guitars that may be better that i should check out.

Really what i'm looking for is something with
Floyd rose
dual humbucker (or dual humbucker with a single coil in the middle could work also)
Fast 24 fret neck
High quality

I'm really just looking for a great guitar that is worth the large amount of money and will last me a long time

Also if it matters i mainly play classic 60's and 70's hard rock, 80's hard rock/ metal and some 90's rock, and my amp is a Bugera 1990

Thanks for the help!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Havent seen them around, my guess is there arent a lot in the UK.
From what I hear the fretwork is very good, though I dunno how good the hardware on it is. Thats not saying they arent a good buy, maybe somebody from the US has some hands on.

Personally, id maybe look at something 2nd hand in that range, you will get a used RG prestige here easily for cheaper than a premium new.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
If you can try it out at a store near you, I highly recommend the PRS SE Torero to you. I have it, and it can play everything you've listed, and it HAS everything you've listed. You can also get one used for like 700-800.

As for the Premium, not many people have reviewed it so far (at least, to my knowledge) so I can only assume that it's pretty good if nothing bad's been said about it ('cause if it WAS bad, someone would've said something) . Try it out, that's all I can tell you.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
^^ heck if you look around you can often get a new (or at least, new old stock bought at old, more favourable prices before the yen went through the roof) prestige for less than a premium.

I haven't tried the premiums, but yeah. Prestige.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well i was thinking about the prestige rg 1550 but i like the look of the premium better, on paper they really aren't too much different. Also the price range is similar on the 2 guitars, so how much of a difference can there be?

What prestige's specifically should i look for?
My youtube channel

you should try a schecter hellraising or a blackjack the both are great guitars i have the blackjack and its awesome or try with a bc rich deluxe you cant go wrong with one of those
Quote by Snapple
Havent seen them around, my guess is there arent a lot in the UK.
From what I hear the fretwork is very good, though I dunno how good the hardware on it is. Thats not saying they arent a good buy, maybe somebody from the US has some hands on.

Personally, id maybe look at something 2nd hand in that range, you will get a used RG prestige here easily for cheaper than a premium new.

I spent some time with the red RG premium. It was super nice. Really well playing instrument and was closer to a Prestige than the regular Ibanez line. The fretwork was phenomenal and the hardware is very good. Didn't notice if the tuners were non-name-brand Ibanez parts (like Gotoh or Sperzel) but they were definitely pretty good. All around a great guitar and I really liked the feel of it. The pups are your everyday run of the mill DiMarzio/Ibz's but they sound very good and I never had a problem with them.

That said, you could score an aftermarket Prestige for the same 800 dollar asking price of the Premiums and you'll get a slightly better instrument. I'd check out the used market first before you jump on the Premium but by all means, if you don't find anything interesting for you, then spending the cash on the Premium won't be something you should regret.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
well the 1550 is made in japan.

for me personally those 3 words are worth their weight in gold (certainly when compared to stuff that's made in korea, say, or china or indonesia). Well obviously that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Low end prestiges imo will have the better hardware.

Id start looking around and seeing whats about used, you can get prob a used 2550 at about that price point, or a new 1550. The other option is a LTD MH-1000 at that price range, totally different guitar, mahogany so a lot darker compared to the RG which will be brighter.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by camaross427
Well i was thinking about the prestige rg 1550 but i like the look of the premium better, on paper they really aren't too much different. Also the price range is similar on the 2 guitars, so how much of a difference can there be?

What prestige's specifically should i look for?

there are actually a big different each one and of course the prestige series are better, prestige its the top line from ibanez and premium is in the middle
nah j custom is the top line from ibanez. but the prestiges are still pretty nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Krauser
I spent some time with the red RG premium. It was super nice. Really well playing instrument and was closer to a Prestige than the regular Ibanez line. The fretwork was phenomenal and the hardware is very good. Didn't notice if the tuners were non-name-brand Ibanez parts (like Gotoh or Sperzel) but they were definitely pretty good. All around a great guitar and I really liked the feel of it. The pups are your everyday run of the mill DiMarzio/Ibz's but they sound very good and I never had a problem with them.

That said, you could score an aftermarket Prestige for the same 800 dollar asking price of the Premiums and you'll get a slightly better instrument. I'd check out the used market first before you jump on the Premium but by all means, if you don't find anything interesting for you, then spending the cash on the Premium won't be something you should regret.

thank you, i will look around for some prestiges and see what i like, but at least now i know the rg premium is worth the price
My youtube channel

Quote by guitarwarrior96
you should try a schecter hellraising or a blackjack the both are great guitars i have the blackjack and its awesome or try with a bc rich deluxe you cant go wrong with one of those

You. Be quiet
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
PERSONAL OPINION:

For that price range l'd save up and get a Jackson Soloist (better hardware overall if you compare the specs), $1000-$1500 range cause they're made in Japan as opposed to the Ibanez Premium Models that are made in Korea (correct me if I'm wrong).

One thing I can say however is it's unlikely that you'll get an Ibanez that has the looks AND the play-ability (Prestige necks) for a $1000 - it's usually the one or the other.
Prestige have great necks (that's what they're known for) but aren't always lookers, Premium's have the looks but WHY are they cheaper then?

I know more questions than answers but I'd rather recommend a Prestige over a Premium if you're going to put in some serious fretting time.
That's what I would do.
Quote by DamagingExcess
You. Be quiet

let the man spea.......... wow he does need to shutup
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
what do you guys think about Charvel San dimas/ So cal's? I have always wanted one of those the only problem being i would prefer 24 frets, which those don't have
how do those stack up with the ibanez? both the premium and the prestige
My youtube channel

Funny enough I was also thinking of the Charvels in that price range (no experience on them though). Regarding the 24 fret issue, Yngwie Malmsteem plays a 22 fret Fender so do you Really need those extra 2 frets for the 3-or-so strings you're gonna play them on? Yes if you're going to do 24-fret bends like Alexi Laiho otherwise No.

Not for 60's/70's rock at least.
My 2+2 cents.
I'm out.
Quote by Charlie4
PERSONAL OPINION:

For that price range l'd save up and get a Jackson Soloist (better hardware overall if you compare the specs), $1000-$1500 range cause they're made in Japan as opposed to the Ibanez Premium Models that are made in Korea (correct me if I'm wrong).

One thing I can say however is it's unlikely that you'll get an Ibanez that has the looks AND the play-ability (Prestige necks) for a $1000 - it's usually the one or the other.
Prestige have great necks (that's what they're known for) but aren't always lookers, Premium's have the looks but WHY are they cheaper then?

I know more questions than answers but I'd rather recommend a Prestige over a Premium if you're going to put in some serious fretting time.
That's what I would do.

agreed. the higher-end (neck-thru) japanese jacksons would also be worth considering.

and yeah with teh cheaper prestiges you normally have to make do with fairly boring visuals.

oh and the premiums are made in indonesia, i think.

Quote by camaross427
what do you guys think about Charvel San dimas/ So cal's? I have always wanted one of those the only problem being i would prefer 24 frets, which those don't have
how do those stack up with the ibanez? both the premium and the prestige

i haven't tried them but they're japanese too (I've tried the older US-made ones- which I thought were quite nice but a bit dear). from most accounts the japanese ones seem to be at least as nice, plus a good bit cheaper.

Definitely worth considering if you like the feel of them, anyway, and don't need 24 frets, a scupted heel or a recessed trem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You guys bring up a good point with the 24 frets, it doesn't really matter that much, i mean i prefer 24 but 22 works just fine, i mean how many times would i really use the 24th fret?

In regards to charvels i am really only interested in the USA made ones, not that there is anything wrong with the japanese made ones, but i'd rather pay the extra money and find a new USA made one, then buy a new japanese one.
the only problem with charvels is that i can't try one anywhere, i mean i'm 99% sure i'd love it, but still
So as of right now i'm between the rg premium, the rg 1550 (or another prestige i can find new in that price range) and the charvel so cal USA made
My youtube channel

Last edited by camaross427 at Jun 16, 2011,
according to the vintage kramer site, the us production models had mexican-made necks. i dunno if that's true or not, but it's worth bearing in mind. plus a lot of people were saying the mij ones were better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?