I've been wondering what to call this for awhile. It's part of a concept album I'm writing based on the Trojan War (subject to change, but yeah.) It's kind of symphonic in two parts, it's not exactly -core, but I wouldn't call it melodeath or anything either. The only thing I can think of is straight up metal. But, yeah.

Also, crit's are very appreciated! For the overall feeling of the song, I wrote it with the idea of having it portray the feeling of overcoming a struggle. For that reason, there's kind of a duality in the song: there are parts that sound dour as if someone is fighting against something, and then there are parts that sound hopeful, as if victory is just in sight. Then it ends on a high note as if to say "victory attained!" Hopefully that makes any sense upon your listens, and hopefully I don't sound like I'm stoned or something . But yeah.

Fire away with comments and help labeling this thing!

Also, I left the vocal melody out of this version because A) it isn't done and B) it depends on how me and my vocalist work together on it and what we come up with, so it's very subject to change.
Attachments:
The Architect.gp4
The Architect.gp5
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Somewhere between melo-death, metalcore, and power metal is where your answer lies.

Riffing and such is solid, but nothing is truly outstanding. It's ok if your going for a more accessible sound, because you do accomplish that pretty well. It doesn't sound all too derivative of any specific band.
That can be useful, but as I said before, it doesn't really have that memorable punch to it.

The solo was a bit off as well. The Db in bar 75 is just weird (in the unpleasant way), and the palm-muted run right after is just, eh.
Don't get me started on that tapped high E.

The rest of the song is alright, but I would revise some sections of that solo. It's very lackluster, on top of being a bit of a nuisance.
Its not bad stuff, but likewise it doesn't have much that would really bring the listener in. Some sections seem to drag on slightly with GP, although a proper recording could fix this.

The solo in bar 77 breaks key in a way that doesn't help the song, so I would fix that lick.

Over than that, its not terrible, but not mind blowing either. C4C my sig?
Quote by CheesyMozarella
My god, the bass has the same tuning as the guitar! :O

I just realized that too.

Drop the bass' tuning by one octave, and make sure it doesn't transpose any parts when you do this.

And if you're going to have a 6 string bass, make use of it. At the moment you could play this on a 3 string...
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Jun 17, 2011,
Oh wow. Definitely didn't mean to put the bass in the same tuning as the guitar. I blame Tux Guitar for that, ha. I'll work on the solo too, thanks for the crit's guys. I'll return them in kind later in the day.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie