why do people feel the need to add action to Dante's Divine Comedy? I've watched some of the animated movie and played some of the game, and feel it's completely unnecessary to add action to it. The allegory and the visuals from the epic poem should be enough without the added action/adventure part.
Quote by RPGoof
There's a video game?

Yes. Its gory and ****ing epic as tits.

and TS is full of shit
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
Walking through hell would be a boring game. Unless it was extremely epic (in the actual meaning of the word.)
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
For the movie: People will become bored

For the video game: It's an action video game based on the work.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Ugh that's just horrendous. It's just being used as a starting point to make money. There's plenty of album's and such outlining the poem as well, but nothing is going to be true to the work. It's the same idea with children's books being made into movies. It's all just another way to make money off a classic, while spinning it into something completely different.
Quote by rockingamer2

Pretty much this
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
This thread is silly.

All I know is when I read Dante's Inferno the first time, the first thing to pop into my head was "GRITTY REBOOT".
Last edited by mental_zer0 at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by RPGoof
It's just being used as a starting point to make money. There's plenty of album's and such outlining the poem as well, but nothing is going to be true to the work.

Isn't that what a remake is?

Edit:

What if someone was just as interested with the poetry as you are but instead wanted to pay homage to it with a video game?
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
Quote by rockingamer2

I get people not wanting to just walk through things in a game,but a straight adaptation of the Divine Comedy wouldn't be boring.

Quote by BruceWillisman

Edit:

What if someone was just as interested with the poetry as you are but instead wanted to pay homage to it with a video game?

I'm not talking about remakes, I'm talking about adaptations, things that are "based upon" other things.
Last edited by johnwolennon at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by johnwolennon
I get people not wanting to just walk through things in a game,but a straight adaptation of the Divine Comedy wouldn't be boring.

For you, maybe. I'm not sure most people would agree.

Not that the game is great anyway
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Wow. This is an weird question. It's like asking why you should add bad guys to the life of a plumber. I mean, traveling through pipes should be enough. Maybe they read Dante's Inferno and it got their imagination working, so they worked off of that.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by BruceWillisman

Edit:

Then they should do it in a way where they stay true to the poem. Battling Lucifer and other such demons never occured in the "Dante's Inferno" video game, and it's a disgrace to the name. The only thing the video game seems to take from the poem were names and a vague plot.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Wow. This is an weird question. It's like asking why you should add bad guys to the life of a plumber. I mean, traveling through pipes should be enough. Maybe they read Dante's Inferno and it got their imagination working, so they worked off of that.

Mario wasn't based on a 14th century poem. Plus, I don't think plumbers travel through pipes when fixing sinks. If they worked off of Dante's Inferno, then they should say it's "inspired by" not "based on"
Quote by johnwolennon
Mario wasn't based on a 14th century poem. Plus, I don't think plumbers travel through pipes when fixing sinks. If they worked off of Dante's Inferno, then they should say it's "inspired by" not "based on"

Is the base of the story Dante's Inferno? I'd say so. Therefore, it makes no difference and you're just complaining about semantics. I also don't see why it matters when the poem was written.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is the base of the story Dante's Inferno? I'd say so. Therefore, it makes no difference and you're just complaining about semantics. I also don't see why it matters when the poem was written.

barely so, if at all. The names are similar, and the fact that he's going through hell, and he's having help from Virgil, but that's about it. It's like saying a movie about an orphan boy set in the 35th century on a spaceship and saying it's based on Oliver Twist.

It doesn't really matter when the thing was written, but still Mario wasn't based on a poem or even inspired by a poem.
Quote by johnwolennon
barely so, if at all. The names are similar, and the fact that he's going through hell, and he's having help from Virgil, but that's about it. It's like saying a movie about an orphan boy set in the 35th century on a spaceship and saying it's based on Oliver Twist.

It doesn't really matter when the thing was written, but still Mario wasn't based on a poem or even inspired by a poem.

I'd say Forbidden Planet is based on The Tempest.

I believe Mario was based on the creator's landlord, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

Because the things that make poetry enjoyable don't always translate perfectly into movies or games.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.