So earlier today I went and collected the Yamaha RGX 310 I won off ebay...
However, it will need a fair bit of work to get it back to its former glory, as you might be able to tell from the (not so great) pictures below:
At £27 I wasn't expecting it to be in amazing condition, but my main concern is the floyd. The paints really worn down and there are signs of rust. Anyone got ideas? I have no experience with floyds or whether another will fit the cavity (unlikely?) as a replacement. Could I use steel wool and some kind varnish/paint to fix the current floyd?

Edit: If it helps, the Whammy bar is new from an Ibanez(?) floyd. It's a perfect fit so if anyone recognises the bridge from a different guitar I might be able to replace it quite easily (Hard to find info on this guitar cos it's fairly old/rare).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 10, 2011,
Steel wool will likely clean it up but if you're at it you might as well replace the trem. I can't tell what it is, it may be custom made by yamaha but your cavity looks oversized so I'd say you could easily replace the trem with a better one. I'd go with an original floyd rose or ibanez edge. You could try the schaller version of the floyd to as i've seen good reviews of that. Here's some useful info on floyds that may help: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969796
I didn't know that a 310 even existed... I've done up a couple of RGX 211m and a couple of RGX312 that had the same bridge standard. They are cruddy cast metal under the paint and if you were really comitted you could dismember and use paint stripper. I've swapped 2 over to floyd Rose licenced trems. You have to dowel the existing floating bolts up and redrill narrower bolt holes to mount the floyd... it is worth it. The cavity of the RGX3## models are quite matched. See the RGX312 pics on my profile.
Last edited by andyrooj at Jul 10, 2011,
Neither did I till I saw this one on ebay. In fact if you google "Yamaha RGX 310" the only pictures on the net are my 310 :p

btw, those RGXs in your profile look awesome. Which floyds are they?

Also, do you know whether modern RGX necks will fit 1st generation RGXs?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 10, 2011,