How can one scream like David Lee Roth does in songs like Light up the Sky?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Helps if you link to something specific. I'm assuming you mean the bit where he screams "light 'em up" before the solo?

Sounds like a falsetto scream to me. You've got to have a fairly strong falsetto, and by that I mean sing the note clearly without all the breathiness that most people have in their falsetto voices. If you haven't developed that at all it will be some time before you're able to do this.

If you do have a pretty well developed falsetto then it's just a matter of overdriving it a bit. Pick one of the higher notes you can do in falsetto and just try and let loose on them a little bit. Do some sustained "yeeaaaaaaaaaah"s and things like that. Gradually increase the intensity of the sounds. That point where your voice is sort of breaking a little, getting a bit of grit? That is the point you want to work with. Not too much though, we're aiming for "screaming" without "yelling". There's a fair amount of volume involved but very little actual "force", especially as you're in falsetto, it should feel pretty easy.

Once you get the overall sound just practice the phrase "light 'em up", and try to mimic Roth as well as you can. Depending on how experienced you are it might take a long time to get to this point, but slow and gradual progress can get you there.

Hope this helps.
Although not this song, there is an isolated vocal track from another song which could point you in the right direction http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0a54ce784d/david-lee-roth-vocal-track-runnin-with-the-devil-from-unearned-happiness .

It doesn't sound too much like falsetto, just be aware of the difference in sound once they chuck studio effects on the voice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It doesn't sound too much like falsetto

It has to be falsetto, surely! You can hear the switch from full voice when he does it, and the lack of support it has.
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
It has to be falsetto, surely! You can hear the switch from full voice when he does it, and the lack of support it has.

I agree it sounds different from his regular voice for sure, it just doesn't have that "airy" quality that falsetto has either. It sounds like something more, err, gutteral. I'm not sure if it's that great for your voice
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I agree it sounds different from his regular voice for sure, it just doesn't have that "airy" quality that falsetto has either. It sounds like something more, err, gutteral. I'm not sure if it's that great for your voice

I would describe is as reinforced falsetto, a bit like Axl Rose does. It's a pretty interesting technique to develop, but absolutely impossible to do with people around, unless they're fond of the sound of dying cats!
Thanks for the responses guys
I will try some of this stuff.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.