So, I have a Silverburst Epi Thunderbird with no modifications, and I was at practise today, then all the sudden i hear a crackle, then a loud hum like when the guitar leads are being touched by your hands. The bass will still make sound, but its buried in the hum. I looked at the wiring, and it looked like nothings loose. Maybe I missed a wire? Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated. I have a gig next week.
The amp maybe? Or the cable?
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
no... i used the same amp and cable with my guitar. I was hoping that was it.
Output jack? Idk...
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
Other than that idk what to say. If no one else here can think of anything you.should take it to a local luthier.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
yeah, i just called guitar center, they say it either sounds like a ground or bad output jack. thanks guys!
Quote by Aleene
Check the wiring again, sounds like it's a grounding issue

I second that suggestion
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
My Jazz Bass has a slightly warped jack and buzzes like that sometimes. One day I'll get around to fixing it.
Quote by HowToFly
I second that suggestion

Triple. Humans are good at conducting electricity since we're mostly salty water. When you touch the strings, your grounding the current
If there are no other visible wiring issues to explain the grounding, lightly tug on the ground wire going to to the bridge and see if that came loose.

Most of the time there's a grounding problem, the noise comes when you're not touching the strings and stops when you ground it by touching them
If it increases when you touch it, it might be you have the output jack wired the wrong way around.

Incidentally, everyone who thinks you're grounding the guitar when you touch the strings should read this: http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Stop using it and get it checked out by a qualified engineer, elctricity does not take prisoners.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn