A new video / song I produced with a member of RGK

I promise I'll listen to your music and talk about it with you within 24 hours. CHECK THIS OUT! BE thankful there is some positive forces out there. Keep grindin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5p8X0YVXo&feature=relmfu

sub the kids on YT n they'll hit you back or get attem or twitter. LUVU!

RGKisgay.com
twitter.com/realgoodkids
facebook.com/realgoodkids

REALL APPREESHIATE THAT SUPPORT
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Jun 27, 2011,
nightwind,
Glad the lyrics were not very naughty. Video quality was very good. Audio quality was quite good for a youtube video. I'm not a big fan of most rap music, but I think instrumentally it sounds very good! Since I'm not much into rapping, I will let someone else comment on the actual rapping. The more melodic vocal part seems a bit pitchy to me at times (maybe pitch correction would help?), though the vocal melodies are good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446711
I'm not much a fan of rap, but I actually liked this piece. I also enjoyed that your channels background looks like something done by Andy Warhol.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Quote by aaron aardvark
nightwind,
Glad the lyrics were not very naughty.

this is mad cute<333344444

Very good flow, the style is not my cup of tea though. Like Aaron, I'm glad the lyrics weren't too naughty. The audio quality was very good, and it takes a good quality for rap songs since lyrics are everything.

Good job.
Am I the only one that thinks this is garbage? Stupid, awkward video, rhythm is off, that chant thing in the middle...the only positive thing I can say is the lyrics are rad, for the most part. But geez, that chant thing is just awful.
nightwind & others,
I know my vocal pitch control is not exactly perfect. For people that want to see if they can tweak notes (pitch correction, good for timing correction too!) for a 30 day trial (I don't work for this company), check out this free trial of Melodyne Editor at this link (I've been trying it out for a few days, and now I want it!):

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=demos&L=0
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by iantomlinson
Am I the only one that thinks this is garbage? Stupid, awkward video, rhythm is off, that chant thing in the middle...the only positive thing I can say is the lyrics are rad, for the most part. But geez, that chant thing is just awful.

Dude, this is the second thread I've seen you troll (first one being one of mine). If you don't have suggestions on how to make it better, then gtfo.

I'll admit, the chant thing is kinda weird, but nothing a little studio magic a la pitch correction won't fix. The rapping style is very different, but I dig it! It gave it a laid-back vibe. I'm eager to see more!
Quote by BrandonBeaux

I'll admit, the chant thing is kinda weird, but nothing a little studio magic a la pitch correction won't fix. The rapping style is very different, but I dig it! It gave it a laid-back vibe. I'm eager to see more!

that's great you got some good vibes off it that's all I'm tryin to do. Just want everyone to have a good day!!!! That little boy in the video, he was just in the park and just started chillin with me and it was so nice , I asked the parents if I could use some footage in a music video and they loved that. Really was a good day.

I'm glad you all have certain ideas about singing and all that! I want you to pursue whatever you find beautiful and find a way to share it with others.

@iantomlinson

It's ok if you think this is the worst thing ever! Because if I find ONE person who had a better day because of it I'm doing good, but I know it can't be everyone. I remember the first time music really touched me and like wow, well, that feeling is why we all do what we do right?

I like it, the chant thing is very good acutally... you will find that these things that "dont sound right" are what hook people into your music... think of eminem "halies song", he cant really sing in a "singing" voice, but the way he sings is strange and it REALLY hooks you into the song..

As well with this one.. When i first heard the chant i was like "huh...", then by the end of the song it was stuck in my head...

I liked the whole thing really, kinda strange but once you listen to the whole thing its very good.

good job fella, And thanks for commenting on my video!
Quote by DarrenReeder
I like it, the chant thing is very good acutally... you will find that these things that "dont sound right" are what hook people into your music... think of eminem "halies song", he cant really sing in a "singing" voice, but the way he sings is strange and it REALLY hooks you into the song..

As well with this one.. When i first heard the chant i was like "huh...", then by the end of the song it was stuck in my head...

I liked the whole thing really, kinda strange but once you listen to the whole thing its very good.

good job fella, And thanks for commenting on my video!

Man you get me!!!! WOW alls I'm saying is when we let our preconceptions down sometimes we can be the most beautiful!!! things dont have to GO a certain way. Yo I'll be straight up and with the kind of music I like to make people have a lot against it, but knowing that there is this support out there makes a huge difference to me man, even if just one person is listening, wow.

Nightwind, you are possibly the most hilarious reviewer ever. Thanks for the crit, it was helpful and funny.

I don't like much hip-hop either like loads of people in here, but this is pretty close to the stuff I do like! It's got unique delivery. At first I was like "Hmm?" but then it kind of grew on me. It doesn't seem so much like you're trying to sound like a rapper. It seems like you're just telling it how it is, which is (I think) the saving grace of good hip-hop. Your lyrics are good! The chant was a cool idea for an interlude/bridge, but it is a little pitchy and could do with some work... The music itself is actually really good too. It's hip-hop fare but it does set the tone of the track very very well, and there is enough variety and layering to keep it interesting. Overall, good work man. Just a few pitch issues to work out, then you've got a great song.

This isn't a music video critique forum so, I won't say anything about that. :P
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
I don't really listen to hip hop (although I used to when I was younger) so I can't comment on the delivery and lyrics, but musically it sounds good, very chill track, plus vocals fit with the music. Sounds cool man.
I'm not watching the video because I'm lame sorry. Well he has an interesting voice, the lyrics are interesting as well. The double vocals, I'm not a fan of but I understand it. It's just kind of weird, I don't know, it's all done well, so good job.
nightwind,

Sorry for the time it took me to finally comment on your vid! Okay, here we go:

Really like the intro, and I dig the piano sound. I feel like the instrumentation was spot on for this type of music, and the structure in and of itself is quite good. I'm not to crazy about the music video, but that's just me, and you certainly have more cajones than I do for making one.

With regards to the chant: I think it's a great idea, just not executed as well as it could have been. I feel like you were going for a large, group style vocal attack for that, and you just didn't record enough voices. If you have another person or two who could also sing that with you, the vocal diversity would help smooth out some of the pitch issues that others in this thread have commented on, especially if you make two or three tracks of it to overlap during that part of the song.

Glad to see that you get so much out of making music, and I wish you luck with future recordings!
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show
I liked the piano part, the lyrics at the start reminds me of everybody is free to wear sunscreen. I liked the little string stabbs nearer the end, accompanied the pianos well The lyrics were quite good, could have used a little more work but they're far from the worst rap lyrics I've seen. The only bad thing I can think of is the vocal melody at 1:36 doesn't quite fit, not sure if that's on purpose for effect or what but it doesn't sound right o me.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453146
I'm not a big fan of rap, so I'm not really sure how much help I'll be. The chanting thing sounds very off, especially the first time it comes in, it might sound better an octave higher, if someone was really projecting it (or maybe add that element in, a female singer could probably do it best). The instrumentals sounded good, more imaginative than most rap I've heard. Especially towards the start, the rapping itself didn't seem that inspired, just like you were trying to keep the words with the beat, no emotion behind them for the most part, but you were probably concentrating on getting them to fit in with the beat, so thats fine. Pretty good overall.
The chant is fine. As a Kate Bush fan I'm used to that kind of thing. I also like the aggressive Hetfield-ish "-ah!" at the end of some of the vocalese lines.

I love the chilled out backing track. All the instruments were nicely spaced in the mix. Very tasteful. EQ good but I'd tweak the treble down just a tad on the percussion.

I don't listen to this kind of music so it sounds original to me.

The "alright" at start sounds Canadian!

It was cool. Listened twice. Nice.
Kate Bush is the shit, just gonna toss that one right out there.

Jus told some of the boys and we are havin a gas that you picked out the "alright" as being canadian. Good ear for music and accent hahaha.

I appreciate what your sayin Jehannum, I think we always go to approach things with as few preconceptions as possible, so we can let things be themselves. I get confused when people are sayin "These chants need to be this way" .... Why? What happens then?

Much luv guys thanks for your ears!!

Quote by nightwind
I get confused when people are sayin "These chants need to be this way" .... Why? What happens then?

A thousand times yes to that! What I love about some older music (60s, 70s) is the sudden intrusion of something unexpected and seemingly random but which isn't really random - only conformity-bending.
Quote by Jehannum
A thousand times yes to that! What I love about some older music (60s, 70s) is the sudden intrusion of something unexpected and seemingly random but which isn't really random - only conformity-bending.

AND THAT IS THE MUSIC!! It's too bad the ways we dig ourselves into certain hole. It HAS to sound clean, the drums HAVE To punch, the solo HAS to wail and be diatonic. No one is ever proud of their differences when it comes to life, so no one is ever in music. Wow, if only.....

I like the beat a lot. The lyrics are really good too. Its not what I would normally listen to but I think its pretty good.
The way you sing reminds me so much of like, a more coherent version of the singer of Modest Mouse. The quality was nice, didn't really sound like your typical hip-hop, which was nice, more natural sounding instead of those over processed kick sounds.

I'm not much of a rap/hip hop fan, but this, this I'll listen to happily.

Thanks for the crit btw.

Sounds good so far. There are a certain bits that feel out of key with the backing. The backing is wonderful. The lyrics are pretty damned good tbh. Wasn't expecting this to be so chill.
The chant is bad. It really is. It's out of key, badly out of key. Completely breaks the immersion in the song. I would recommend either redoing it in key or scrapping it and writing something... better. Sorry I can't be more constructive. I feel like the I'm a boy, I'm a lion thing would be a better chant. And then come back into it with just the vocals.

It's better than I thought it would be for sure. I feel like the vocals could use some polish to match the goodness that is the backing.
I think there is potential here, so let me start with the positives. I think that the talent to rap is definitely there. Some verses had a good speed to them, which I like in rap. The production wasn't bad either, everything was clearly audible and it's good enough to get your music started. There were also some funny lines in there, haha.

That said, I see some areas for improvement. This song didn't really have a memorable hook or melodic chorus. I think if the song as a whole were musical it would set a lot better on the listener. I haven't listened to all of your guys tracks, but I would like to what you guys can make with a more engaging set of chords. As this one sits I think the chorus is off putting to the listener.