So some of you may remember the metric ****ton of 'X or Y?' threads I've made over the past few weeks. Well I've stumbled across another guitar which appeals to me.

Basically, what are the differences between the LTD EC-401 and the Ibanex ARZ-400? I'm aware the Ibanez has worse pickups, but I'm able to swap them out for around the price of the LTD (depending on what I put in). Is there anything that makes one miles ahead of the other?
i can't give you the best advice, but i will help you with what i can.

i owned an EC400 a few years ago, it was a decent guitar, mine i paid i think like $250 on an ebay listing due to a ding. the EMG81/60 combo in it actually sounded pretty good. the fit and finsih wasn't the best, and there were flaws here and there (factory type stuff, not previous owner). but i remember hearing that when they went to the 401, they changed the country of origion, and i have heard mixed opinions.

the ibanez i have not played, but i just bought a 3550MZ and i love it.

the only thing is i would imagine that the neck would be pretty thin on the ibby, as 99% of them are, so that is one thing to consider.

really the best thing to do is just to find the one that fits your hands better and go for it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
as you mentioned, the LTD does have better pickups (either the Duncan or EMG set), but there are a few differences:

-the LTD has a 24.75" scale while the Ibby has a 25" scale. its a small difference which shouldn't lead to massive differences in playability (in the sense of being impacted by altered tunings), but it will slightly alter how it feels.
-LTD has better tuners (I'll take Grover over most companies any day)
-The Ibby has a slightly wider fingerboard. it also feels like the neck is a little thinner and maybe a bit flatter (I'm going by experience here)
-it is possible to get the LTD with a maple top (probably quite thin if not a veneer), which could add a little brightness to the tone

really though, they are rather similar. I lean towards the LTD simply because I like their necks quite a bit. However, your best bet may be to head into a shop and try them out side-by-side. thats really the only way to pick a guitar
what is the neck profile of the guitar you are playing now? the biggest thing that most people shop for in a guitar (not me becuause i am psychotic and buy whatever and drop quite a bit of cash), is the neck profile. that is because most people claim they can't get past a 'bad' neck on a guitar when it is just really a profile that just doesn't suit them.

i play gibsons, i am sure by now being on these forums you hear that gibsons necks are pretty meaty. i just bought a RG3550 prestige, which has a neck about a third thinner, i can get used to different necks and do fine playing it, and a les paul. it doesn't bother me, but again some people just can't get past certain neck carves and hate a guitar.

so if it were most people i would imagine they would say to go with the one with the better feeling neck profile, beccause that is one thing you cannot really change about a guitar.

also +1 to Grovers,

doubt a maple cap on a guitar in that price bracket would be thick enogh to alter tone. as you said its probably just veneer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The one problem I have with trying them out side by side is that there aren't any stores around here that stock both Ibanez and LTD, so I'd need to order them both in from somewhere else in the country and then dash between 2 different stores to try them both.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is the neck profile of the guitar you are playing now? the biggest thing that most people shop for in a guitar (not me becuause i am psychotic and buy whatever and drop quite a bit of cash), is the neck profile. that is because most people claim they can't get past a 'bad' neck on a guitar when it is just really a profile that just doesn't suit them.

My current guitar is a Schecter V-1 Custom, which seems to have quite a flat neck about the same thickness as ESP's Thin U (I think). I tend to wear my guitar quite low so as to avoid cramping my picking hand, and I find that thin necks make it easier to stretch between frets on the lower strings.
Quote by AxolotlShredder
The one problem I have with trying them out side by side is that there aren't any stores around here that stock both Ibanez and LTD, so I'd need to order them both in from somewhere else in the country and then dash between 2 different stores to try them both.

My current guitar is a Schecter V-1 Custom, which seems to have quite a flat neck about the same thickness as ESP's Thin U (I think). I tend to wear my guitar quite low so as to avoid cramping my picking hand, and I find that thin necks make it easier to stretch between frets on the lower strings.

if you think the neck profile is similar to what you have got, and you like the profile, stick with that, and go for the LTD. feature wise it is better (grover tuners, pickups) i would go for the LTD. again the one i had was pretty nice for a cheap guitar. however if you you have the means to travel to your ESP/LTD dealer, give the EC401 a test drive first. if for some reason it doesn't fell right, than maybe it would be worth going to the Ibby dealer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Ok quick update - I was at the music store today messing around with various LTDs to get a feel for the neck, and I found a Sterling JP100 that felt quite nice. What's the general consensus on these models?