Ive been playing Electric for about a year and a half and I would say I am pretty good but I never really learned much about playing in key,scales or chords except the minor pentatonic. so can someone please tell me what stuff I should learn and what sites are really good and easy to understand because I would say I have a short attention span when it comes to learning things. I also know there's a hundreds of chords and scales so which stuff should I learn?

Thanks for any help.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
I personally always found learning theory very irritating and tedious and to this day i have still neglected it. If it's an option i would suggest you get a guitar teacher that knows his theory. He should be able to keep you on track in a way that will also keep you motivated.
As for sites.. I think there's a whole bunch of theory stuff here on UG, but where those threads are i do not know.
Sorry i can't be of further assistance.
Quote by vayne92
I personally always found learning theory very irritating and tedious and to this day i have still neglected it. If it's an option i would suggest you get a guitar teacher that knows his theory. He should be able to keep you on track in a way that will also keep you motivated.
As for sites.. I think there's a whole bunch of theory stuff here on UG, but where those threads are i do not know.
Sorry i can't be of further assistance.

Thanks. I had a teacher and I didn't like it, he wasn't very good at explaining it and I would like to take my time learning this stuff without having to pay
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
musictheory.net

Honestly, most scale/chord theory is pretty quick to get through with some dedication. Learn how to build chords and scales (particularly major and minor) and learn all the notes on the fretboard, and you'll have about 99% of anything you'll ever applicably "need" for guitar.

If you're still in high school, I'd recommend taking a theory class if it's available. You go slow but it gives you a lot of time to experiment and learn practically and gives you a nice, strong foundation as well as a teacher (that's free) that can give you a hand if you need help with a specific subject. Plus you get a fun class rather than Calculus or whatever else you'd use to fill an elective
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by BurningTurkey
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=C&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

the only website i'd recommened for scales and the like
also, learn the note names on the fretboard if you dont know them. it will benifit you to no end

But it doesn't actually teach you anything, so it's not a particularly useful resource. It's a good reference tool, but it won't help you understand any of the things it refers to.

TS, have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section, also check out musictheory.net
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Minor Pentatonic, All of the Major Scales with relative minor function, Melodic Minor, Harmonic minor and diminished would all be very good scales to start with. Also their chord scales should be learned at the same time so you can improvise with them ASAP. If you learn scales and then wait until you "have them down" to start improvising or soloing then it's literally like learning them all over again.
A Google search on "Guitar Scales" should yield some good sites.

All the best,
Joe
1) Learn how to identify notes on the keyboard.
2) Understand that a key is a combination of notes, and in a nutshell, playing outside it is not playing in key.
3) Understand that playing notes outside a key is not necessarily not playing in key. You can do whatever you want on the guitar.
4) Learn how barre chords are formed so you can form whatever chord you want.