So I play a 5 stringed bass in D (ADGCF) and I need new strings. My old strings (GHS Boomers) didn't do the job so well of playing like that. They really bothered me how loose they were. So my question is, what are some good strings that will be pretty tight even when tuned like this? I'm thinking some Blue Steel mediums. (do they have any bigger)

Also on a semi-related note what are some cheap 4 set strings that are good for slap?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
It depends on really on a couple of factors. What is the scale length on your bass? Is it neck thru, bolt on or set neck? Do the strings run through the body?

If it's a 35" and/or neck thru and/or strings run thru body I would recommend a .130 - .45

Otherwise I say .135 - .50 (though you may only be able to find to .45 which imo would still be fine I just like a lot of tension for my heavier attack)
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jun 17, 2011,
I really don't know any of that stuff. How would I figure it out?
Well I just stalked your profile to see what kind of bass you have

It says Ibanez edb 405, so a quick google search shows me...

It's a bolt on bass (look at the back of the bass and see how the neck is bolted onto the body. A neckthru has no bolts and the neck wood runs the length of the body with the wings of the body glued on each side)

Strings run thru bridge not body (some guitars will run the strings through the back of the guitar body and into the bridge for supposedly higher tension and greater sustain)

And it's a 34" scale length (this is the measurement from the string saddles to the nut. 34" is standard, but some companies use a 35" scale length to give extra tension)

So to answer your question I would go with a .135 - .45 gauge on the strings. If you have any other questions just ask
Thanks man! You've been a huge help!

One last question. The last time I bought strings (The GHS Boomers) it was the first time buying new strings for this bass. When I was putting them in, the very tip near the bridge was a bit thicker than the rest of the string and didn't fit in the hole. So I was told I could file down the tip until it fit. So I did, and it worked. Do you think I'll have to do this again for the 135? And will it affect the sound?
You would most definitely have to do that. And you could either file it down again, or you can buy taper core strings in which the part of the string near the bridge is smaller than the rest of the string. Or if you want you could even bore out the hole in the bridge a little bit (I don't personally recommend this but it would solve your problem)
Alright thanks! What about the nut and bridge? These are some big strings we're dealing with here so how do I know if it'd fit in my nut and the little crevice it bends over on the bridge?
The string gauge really isn't that big, I run a .50 - .140 on my 6er (plus a .30 for my high string) with no problems and I only have it in C# and didn't have to do any modifications. Your nut should be fine, some people say you may want to file it down some, I disagree and say it will be fine but it's up to you. As for your saddles (the part on the bridge it sits on) it will fit fine
Alright man, thanks for all the help, I highly appreciate it!