Page 1 of 2
Looking for a new pedal, and decided to go with multi effects. I play a lot of classic rock, but I love a modern gain tone as well. So versatility is good. I play for my highschool church band, but we are EXTREMELY contemporary. I like acoustic sounding cleans, not to twangy if i dont want it.

Looking for something that sounds nice tone-wise as well, as for some reason i dont like my Roland Micro Cube for using out of a DI Box (like at church). Sounds like it lacks presence, even with tweaking.

Budget is around 200 new MAX, so that I could get it for 150ish used. But id prefer even cheaper

Thanks.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Looking for a new pedal, and decided to go with multi effects. I play a lot of classic rock, but I love a modern gain tone as well. So versatility is good. I play for my highschool church band, but we are EXTREMELY contemporary. I like acoustic sounding cleans, not to twangy if i dont want it.

Looking for something that sounds nice tone-wise as well, as for some reason i dont like my Roland Micro Cube for using out of a DI Box (like at church). Sounds like it lacks presence, even with tweaking.

Budget is around 200 new MAX, so that I could get it for 150ish used. But id prefer even cheaper

Thanks.

Well, I heard that the Digitech rp series has some nice cleans.

Look at the rp255 and 355. They both come with a built in expression pedal that can be used for wah, wahmmy, volume, and many other parameters. It also comes with a 20 second looper and a built in drum machine.

Most of the mfx units under $200 won't have the best distortion, but it will probably be bettr than your Micro Cube. As you can see in my sig, my rp355 should be coming any day now......
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
My advice.

Take the 200

Sell Vypyr

Sell Roland

Get probably about $400, hit up dat used marrrrrkeettt!
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I use a Digitech RP-50 which I got for 20 bucks used, from Guitar Center. You can find them relatively cheap for around 25-35 bucks. You can use them for practice or gigs contrary to what the tone snobs say.
Quote by jeffo46
I use a Digitech RP-50 which I got for 20 bucks used, from Guitar Center. You can find them relatively cheap for around 25-35 bucks. You can use them for practice or gigs contrary to what the tone snobs say.

Yeah, you can get an rp355 used for under $150, or new for $167 on EBay(which is what I did). The 355 would be the best for you because it has a stomp box mode, and you can hook it up directly to a pa system(the 355 and up models are the only ones that can do that).
I would have to agree that the RP355 is probably the best pedal in this price range.
The best mutli effects in the 200 dollar range is the Vox Tonelab St, at least on paper it looks to be the best because it is TUBE driven, which is a good thing.
Quote by SSampuser68
The best mutli effects in the 200 dollar range is the Vox Tonelab St, at least on paper it looks to be the best because it is TUBE driven, which is a good thing.

Yeah, but I think the effects are better on the rp355. And what happens when the tube in the Tonelab breaks? How would you replace it?
Quote by SSampuser68
The ST lacks a looper. The ST lacks separate modulation and delay FX, which is puts it in a category of it's own in lack of features. With that said the ST isn't a bad unit. It's simple and does sound good. But on paper, not so much.
Yeah, plus, there's no stomp box mode and no computer editing software.
Quote by SSampuser68

The tube is just a gimmick. It does nearly NOTHING to the tone.

Check the RP's. They're good units. I'd also suggest you the Zoom G2.1Nu / G2.1 which are solid units as well, I personally have one, but gonna upgrade soon.
Last edited by Syriel at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Syriel
The tube is just a gimmick. It does nearly NOTHING to the tone.

Check the RP's. They're good units. I'd also suggest you the Zoom G2.1Nu / G2.1 which are solid units as well, I personally have one, but gonna upgrade soon.

+1

I think it sounds the same as the pod 2.0
I wouldn't say that the tube does nothing to the tone. The only thing that makes the tube a gimmick is that people believe that having a tube automatically makes the tone superior to units without a tube. This is best characterized by SSampuser68's post. The only thing that determines how good the tone is, is playing through it.

Vox has always gotten decent marks on it's multifx tone from people that use them. All we can surmise is that Vox only knows how to do it by using a tube. Other multifx makers can achieve decent tone without a tube.
Quote by fly135
I wouldn't say that the tube does nothing to the tone. The only thing that makes the tube a gimmick is that people believe that having a tube automatically makes the tone superior to units without a tube. This is best characterized by SSampuser68's post. The only thing that determines how good the tone is, is playing through it.

Vox has always gotten decent marks on it's multifx tone from people that use them. All we can surmise is that Vox only knows how to do it by using a tube. Other multifx makers can achieve decent tone without a tube.

You are right. Different companies have different ways of making mfx units sound good. It just depends what sounds the best to you.
i would sell the amps you have and use the 200 plus what you get and buy the pod HD series (500 etc), when at home you play through your computer or something and when with the band you play through the PA

youll get a better tone than now plus you get all effects youll need

and later on you can get a atomic cab ( cab and poweramp in same) or something to play through at home
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

is there a big enough difference from the RP355 and 255 to really spend that much? Im a 16 year old trying to save for a car too :P Also, i wont be adding to the budget, even though i probably will sell my amps, I'll use that $ to get a 1W tube, and use my Multifx to do the talkin.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
is there a big enough difference from the RP355 and 255 to really spend that much? Im a 16 year old trying to save for a car too :P Also, i wont be adding to the budget, even though i probably will sell my amps, I'll use that $ to get a 1W tube, and use my Multifx to do the talkin.

I just got my rp355 today and it is so worth the $167(new). Yes there is a big difference. The rp355 has stomp box mode, which allows you to turn delay, chorus, and distortion on and off with a press of the switch. Also, you get a midi out( which is not included in the rp255) which means you can hook it up straight to a pa system. There's also an amp a/b switch. For example, on preset 1 you can have a Marshall jcm800 on on channel A and a fender bassman on channel B. Plus, you get more effects, stomp boxes and amps. It's only a $17 difference. Get it, you won't be disappointed.
What about the Line 6 Floor Pod Plus? That any good? It looks easier to use, and more handy with the footswitches.
i have digitech gnx4 and for me it's the best multi effect pedal in the world
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
i never liked the layout of the floor pod series, but the pod xt/x3/hd are excellent. just the ones specifically title "floor pod" i never liked.

i guess the rp355 is the best way for you to go in this situation.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I am also a Digitech fan.

The 50 and other lower end models pretty much only sound good thru headphones. They sound crappy when pumped into amp or mixer/PA. My 50 is great for practice. Our rhythm guitar uses a 90 (50 with wah/volume pedal), and it does OK, but will leave you wanting.

I have a 500. For playing live it is awesome. It keeps my rig simple, and I have not yet reached the end of what it can provide that I would want. It sounds great going through a house PA, or into a mic'd clean channel amp (typically a Fender 30w tube combo).

An important feature you'll want from the digitech mfx units is the ability to select output for either amp or mixer. It makes a big difference in how it sounds. I know the 500 has it, and I think the 355 is virtually the same as the 500 but without the pedalboard switches.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the 355 and up digitech units.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
What about the Line 6 Floor Pod Plus? That any good? It looks easier to use, and more handy with the footswitches.

The floor pod is made of plastic but the r355 is made of die cast metal. I love the rp355, it's so worth the money. The distortions are better than I expected.

I'm so glad I got the rp355 because I almost got the rp255. I have to thank fly135 for telling me to get the 355 and not the 255. I'm glad I did. Plus, I don't think the floor pod plus has a looper. Trust me, get the 355, you will be glad you did.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 18, 2011,
Wow, it really sounds like the to355 is worth th extra cash thanks
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Wow, it really sounds like the to355 is worth th extra cash thanks

No problem, I hope you enjoy it.

P.s. You can get it new for $167 on EBay. Thats what I did. Really fast shipping.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
I have to thank fly135 for telling me to get the 355 and not the 255.
Well it was your post that ended up with me finding a killer deal on my M5 while checking out a coupon code on the RP for you.
Yeah there's a Guitar Center in Nashville that has it for $120. My Aunt is going to buy it for me and bring it to me in 2 weeks. Thanks guys.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Yeah there's a Guitar Center in Nashville that has it for $120. My Aunt is going to buy it for me and bring it to me in 2 weeks. Thanks guys.

You are welcome. I hope you have fun with it.
I think he means $120 used. I doubt it's new. If it is, that is a crazy price.
Oh one more question before I buy it.

Are you guys sure the extra $ on the RP355 will be worth it? Considering I will only be playing casually with my friends, practicing by myself, and playing in my church band and church concerts. And how will a Vypyr 15W sound with it?
What do you mean extra dollars? It's well worth $120. You can't get much for cheaper.

Can't say how it will sound with the Vypyr. I could hook my RP1000 to my Vypyr 15 and let you know.
Yes, it is worth the extra money. It's larger and heavier than the rp255 so it will be more stable and rugged. Is the $120 rp355 used or new?
Used RP355 for 120, and Fly, I meant compared to the RP255 :P
Go for the used rp355. Or if you want it new, get it on eBay for $167. It's your choice. If you have a question about buying it used, ask fly, he buys all his mfx units used.
floor pod plus....... is ok I have one but I would much rather have gotten a zoom with usb as aposed to anything with just midi.... Zoom has a great acoustic simulator in the multi effects and if you take the time there distortions are pretty awesome as well...
The distortions in my rp355 sound better than I expected and the same with the wah.
Alright, I tried the RP out at Best Buy, and it sounds good. But it did sound extremely muffled, but that was probably because of the headphones.

So, what amp do you think would sound good with this? I was thinking a 1 to 5 watt tube. And actually, I could sell my two current amps and get a Kustom Defender 5W mini stack used for around the same as how much I'd get, selling my Roland and vypyr. But any other suggestions?
I use the rp355 through headphones and it does not sound muffeled. Were they nice headphones? Also, the amp/mixer switch on the back could have been set to amp and not mixer, that could be why. I'm glad you like it.
I've had an Epi Vjr head/1x12 cab for years and it's always sounded good with multifx and pedals. I don't have any real preference for the 5 watters. You might consider checking Craigslist regularly. I'm always finding deals.
So is the Kustom OK? its cheap and yeah.. haha otherwise ill wait and check my craigslist a lot for low watt tubers
Page 1 of 2