Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, i thought it'd be cool to share what kind of music your into (not limited to one genre of course) and who your biggest influences are, I'll start.

I'm into everything but rap, pop, and country, I play guitar and sing lead vocals in an Alternative Rock Band named Saving Gabriel (no site or anything, we just got our shit together recently)

And my biggest influances include Slash (goes without saying doesnt it?) Avenged Sevenfold, Perfect Like Me (not famous but i highly recommend their old tunes) Trust Company, Breaking Benjamin (who deserves more fame than Nickleback (god im ashamed im canadian for that) Underoath, and my Number one Influence is honestly Rebecca Black, fun fact, thats what i sound like what i sing without autotune....
Quote by Zeletros
None(not a band/guitarist name)

influence in terms of my guitar writing i have none,
in regards to bands i aspire to be as good i would say Jordan Buckley from Every Time I Die, Dave Grohl just for the song Everlong (love the rest of his back catalogue) and At The Drive-In/Refused (two amazing bands who were before their time).

but as said i don't try and copy and style of playing or mimic a feeling, it is my music so i want it to be based on my emotions not others.
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
in regards to bands i aspire to be as good i would say Jordan Buckley from Every Time I Die, Dave Grohl just for the song Everlong (love the rest of his back catalogue) and At The Drive-In/Refused (two amazing bands who were before their time).

but as said i don't try and copy and style of playing or mimic a feeling, it is my music so i want it to be based on my emotions not others.

I know what you mean man, with the copy a style ect, when it comes to writing we tend to ban our ipods ect. It helps with originality. Your point is well put my man.
pantera,anthrax,zakk wylde,kid rock,i think they inspire me more than influence how i play guitar but its cool when people say "that sounds like this or that"etc.
I like lyric/guitar/groove oriented blues:

Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, J.J. Cale, Chris Rea, Jeff Beck
Current Gear:
2010 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe White
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic

Peavey Envoy 110(40 watt)
mostly guitarists

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Marco Sfogli, Tommy Emmanuel, Greg Howe

Then maybe Alex Hutchings, Jack Thammarat and Gary Moore

I used to get alot of inspiration from bands like Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, Whitesnake, Toto and Pink Floyd :P great for beginners

But yeah, currently, the guys on the top list WOW me the most
dimebag inspired to pick up the guitar and start playing.

Jeff Loomis, Jason Becker and Chris Broderick make me want to progress and keep practicing.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
mostly guitarists

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Marco Sfogli, Tommy Emmanuel, Greg Howe

Then maybe Alex Hutchings, Jack Thammarat and Gary Moore

I used to get alot of inspiration from bands like Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, Whitesnake, Toto and Pink Floyd :P great for beginners

But yeah, currently, the guys on the top list WOW me the most

I definalty and with you on Satriani, the man kicks so much ass coldplay ripped him off! haha
My biggest influence are the Foo Fighters! (except for their last album)
Others are Collective Soul (!), Rise Against (?), Deep Purple (?), Pink Floyd (?), Led Zepplin (?), Muse (?)
(!): Almost every song
(?): Some or few songs

Genres: (Alternative) Rock, oldies, some jazz and funk
Rush, Rush and more Rush.

Also, Yes, Pink Floyd, Bad Company and the Beatles.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Paul Gilbert is my biggest influence. For pretty much everything he does. His playing, his attitude, his approach. I just find him a very inspiring person. The guitaring world needs more Paul Gilbert's instead of the snobs, idiots and all round s***heads we have to put up with.
I also love Joe Satriani for the same reasons; I always look to Joe when I'm writing instrumental guitar music.

Beyond that I like a lot of 80's metal and 70's rock. But I'm always looking to be inspired by other genres - as Paul will tell you, there's something decent in every genre! Johnny Cash, Pat Metheny, Stevie Wonder, Joe Bonamassa, John Coltrane, SRV.
In no particular order...

Muhammed Suicmez, Christian Muenzner, Guthrie Govan, Tosin Abasi, Satriani, John Petrucci, Andres Segovia, John Williams, Paco De Lucia...

Theres a hell of a lot more, but those are the ones you could perhaps actually "Hear" in my playing.
Guitar playing wise... Jeff Beck, Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Alex Hutchings, Malmsteen...

Composition wise... early-mid Baroque/ romantic/ impressionists.
I'm into any player that is known to be awesome. Vai, Satriani, Petrucci .....ect. Cause you know if you list awesome players in your influences, other people will assume you're awesome too! A fashion statement of sorts.

But seriously, one of my favorite players is Alex Lifeson. I enjoy what he did for the 1st 10 or 11 Rush albums.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 17, 2011,
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tim Collis from this town needs guns in my post rock playing, hugh laurie has got me into delta and new orleans blues, and Tim Ainslie.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by GuitarMunky
I'm into any player that is known to be awesome. Vai, Satriani, Petrucci .....ect. Cause you know if you list awesome players in your influences, other people will assume you're awesome too! A fashion statement of sorts.

But seriously, one of my favorite players is Alex Lifeson. I enjoy what he did for the 1st 10 or 11 Rush albums.

I'm into those prog guitarists, y'know that are dead cool and write really complicated music...that way, people will think I'm clever and know lots of theory and I'm an awesome player...

Quote by GuitarMunky

He's so underrated.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
atreyu was the first heavier bands songs i started to learn, so that gave me a good metal foundation. Metallica, as i lay dying, the black dahlia murder, lamb of god, and most recently parkway drive are all my other main influences. id say my playing is a mix between all those bands.
Quote by griffRG7321
I'm into those prog guitarists, y'know that are dead cool and write really complicated music...that way, people will think I'm clever and know lots of theory and I'm an awesome player...

^ you're not alone!
shred is gaudy music
Being fairly eclectic many artists have influenced me over the years, depending on the genre. But there is only one band that I can say truly changed my life or made me rethink my liking/disliking/approach to music and that was Triumph.

So my all-time biggest influence transcending all genre barriers, just like the band themselves did, were Triumph.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ you're not alone!

Maybe you didn't get the sarcasm, any genre can be belittled in the same way you did to instrumental rock.
Quote by griffRG7321
Maybe you didn't get the sarcasm, any genre can be belittled in the same way you did to instrumental rock.

I wasn't belittling the music. I like alot of it myself.
shred is gaudy music
I get ideas from anything really. I love jazz, classical, ("good" [because good is subjective]) dubstep, metal, some "good" rap music, techno stuff...whatever I can get my hands on. I listen to mostly metal though; bands like In Flames, Haste the Day, Dark Tranquility and Becoming the Archetype to name just a few. Too, guys like Papa Roach, My Chemical Romance, Iron Maiden, The Prodigy, Fort Minor, Fear Factory and HIM also inspire me and I love listening to their stuff. Classical music is also really rad; I love Schubert's "Der Erlkonig" and Brahms Symphony 4 Movement 4 (I think it's that) for example. As I said before, anything.
Lil' Wayne, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Nas, Mozart, Bob Dylan, 2Pac, Jason Webley, and Nirvana.

I like a lot of cliche music.
Last edited by yoyoyoitcool at Jun 18, 2011,
A lot of punk rock, experimental, art rock, indie, rap, and metal. The White Stripes, The Velvet Underground, The Mars Volta, The Flaming Lips, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Beck, Bob Dylan, Sonic Youth, Kanye West, Death, Slayer, and Opeth are all prime influences.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by Stretch_Wilson

You are influenced by every song you've ever heard. You may not be inspired by all of it, but to suggest that your writing isn't influenced by the popular music we're completely surrounded by and the music you listen to personally is ridiculous.

Though I don't hold them in the same esteem anymore, when I was younger the music of all those instrumental guitarists was very inspiring, really opened my eyes to the possibilities of the guitar. Guthrie Govan is one of those guys who I still admire quite a bit. I think the whole mindset of jazz, but also just of musicians who aspire to truly know the guitar inside and out is the biggest motivation - at least currently - in my own practicing. Trying to apply theory to the guitar as well as learning to read music were two goals I feel at least a degree of accomplishment with over the last year, and that was almost solely inspired by jazz musicians, particularly a teacher I had.

As far as bands that have been of some importance to me as a player, I really found the music of Pink Floyd eye-opening at a younger age, and it was certainly fantastic enough to stick with me all along. I was a big metal head for a lot of years, Muhammed Suicmez from Necrophagist and Jeff Loomis from Nevermore were both big inspirations as far as trying to gain technical proficiency - though I never got anywhere near the sort of shredding those guys do. And of course other obligatory (but important) artists like Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles, who's music has basically permeated all aspects of the popular music we hear today.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Guitarists: Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani, Tony Iommi, Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Slash, Eric Clapton, Marty Friedman, Carlos Santana, Guthrie Govan.

Bands: Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc.......

I love riffs. Tony Iommi and James Hetfield figure highly.

Recently I've tried to bring more melody to my music. I am hearing a subconscious Morricone influence. I definitely try to bring a Jerry Goldsmith vibe into some of my stuff because I know his music well, and love his themes and style.
My main influences are Jeff Loomis/Nevermore, Chuck Schuldiner/Death, Kiko Loureiro/Angra, Beyond Twilight, Anubis Gate, Opeth, Ihsahn, Megadeth/Marty Friedman and Stratovarius/Matias Kupiainen.

I really recommend Beyond Twilight's 'Section X' and 'For The Love of Art and The Making' who aren't familiar with them. A very unique Progressive Metal band for sure.

As far as non-metal musicians go, John Williams (Classical guitarist), Nobuo Uematsu and many other Final Fantasy composers, Al Di Meola, Camel, Domenico Scarlatti, Igor Stravinsky and Sergei Prokofiev.
I would have to say my three biggest influences would be James Jamerson, Stevie Wonder and Tom Morello... IMO all are/were fearless pioneers. Jamerson played with the pure passion and timing that was out of sight, and the man nearly single handedly defined an entire genre of music, which I truly admire... not to mention his bass alone has played on more #1 hits than even the beatles. As for Morello he is a master of the more logical side of music. You'll be hard pressed to find any guitarist with Tom's knowlage of theory and the arsenal of techniques he uses/developed. Then we get to Stevie Wonder IMO one the greatest musicans of all time. He's not the most technical guy out there. But he litterally does it all, and is what I aspire to be. He cant be defined by any thing other than "musican" he's a "singer, multi-instrumentalist, composer , conductor, recording artist, producer, ect..." there isnt a single aspect of music he isnt involved with and doesnt do damn well. The part I truly admire about him though, is he never losses his voice as a musican. If he's singing, playing piano, harmonica, it doesnt matter... the second you hear him, you instantly know thats Stevie Wonder... its hard enough to develop a unique voice on one instrument. Guys like Steive who have their own voice regardless of the instrument, are few and far between!!!

After that its a mix mash of all sorts of musicans from any and every genre you can imagine. I'll save the fourm space because, there are way to many to mention.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Jun 23, 2011,
hmm. Difficult. In terms of guys who Inlfuence my playing, i guess: Dweezil Zappa(i have really similar vibrato and similar phrasing due to listening to him so much), Randy Rhoads(I have similar note choice due to listening and dissecting), Claudio Sanchez(Rhythm playing style and vocally), Frank Zappa(in attitude), Jake E Lee(in attitude) Guthrie Govan/David Walliman(for fusion phrasing... still workin on getting the outside thing goin). That's just in my style I think.
All in all: Coheed and Cambria, Zappa, The Fellowship, Ozzy, youtube
I have alot of bands that influence my taste, but I think Kurt Cobain inspired me to pick up a guitar.
Audley Freed. I was watching his videos from the Gibson sessions, and he has a fantastic handle on chord/scale technique, and draws from many classic guitarists. He inspires me to be better
in no particular order

-eric clapton
-jimi hendrix
-eric johnson
-stevie ray vaughan
-jeff healey

theres a lot of others of course but those are probably my top 5 guys i listen to the most. although i tend to not listen to SRV much anymore because i dont want to be another stevie clone. i play more like a mix of clapton and eric johnson these days.
Jimmy ****ing Page and Biggie Smalls

EDIT: Nahh Jimmy Page and Keefie for shizz
Last edited by LZRocker at Jun 23, 2011,
Beatles,Zeppelin,Van Halen,Queen, a bit of Chuck Berry
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Page 1 of 2