hey so i have a rhoads pro.

and i'm going to paint on yellow bevels like the jackson RR24

Here's my guitar:

I'm going to paint it to look like this:

I'm read the ultimate painting and refinishing thread
when i'm working with such a small area like the bevels, anyone have any ideas as to how i'd snad them and not accidentaly sand the parts of the guitar that i dont want to paint?

also i dont want there to be any lip where i paint

anyone have any suggestions on which yellow paint i should get and which clear coat as well as other supplies??

thank you
this is going to be fun
Quote by supersac
no idea on paint and stuff
but cant you just tape off the areas your not going to be working on?

ya i'm going to tape off the area i'm not working on, but i've gotta sande and chances are with the millimeter wide area i'm going to be working with i'll have a hard time sanding and not sanding through or messing up the position of the tape
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I wouldn't worry about nitro on a guitar like that. Also, I'd scuff the entire body with 600 then mask off your stripes, spray 'em, then clear over everything.

how come you wouldnt worry about nitro on a guitar like that?

what kind do you suggest?

what does it mean to " mask off stripes?"

what paint should i use?
Well to me nitro is used if you want a guitar to wear like a vintage guitar or if you're worried about the tone a finish may or may not take or improve. In your case, your guitar has already got a thick coat of poly so I wouldn't worry about the finishes effect on tone. I would use duplicolor spray paint. You can get it from shucks and such. I painted a body "school bus yellow" with it once, looks pretty good. and it cures a lot faster than poly for wetsanding and buffing. And when I say mask off I mean use masking tape (or a combination of masking tape and newspaper) to cover all the parts your don't want yellow on.
thanks for your help levi!

does that paint you recommended dry hard? i'm worried about paint that will dent or be affected when touched repeatedly to my clothing or fingers/arm
also i'm wondering do you recommend which type of paint by duplicolor? general purpose, or engine, or brakes?

what kind of clear cloat should i use? do i go nitrocellulose there? or something else.
i'm really looking for durable hard stuff
Last edited by vincelombard at Jun 17, 2011,
I second the duplicolor, it works realy well and is pretty cheep.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
are you going to bevel the edge like the other guitar? i wouldnt sand the area you want to paint, use a scraper carefully, then you shouldnt have to worry about ruining the finish you want to keep.

Althought someones idea was the best to scuff sand the whole thing, then re clearcoat the whole thing.
Quote by MartialLawband
are you going to bevel the edge like the other guitar? i wouldnt sand the area you want to paint, use a scraper carefully, then you shouldnt have to worry about ruining the finish you want to keep.

Althought someones idea was the best to scuff sand the whole thing, then re clearcoat the whole thing.

which clearcoat should i use?
Yeah, you don't need anything fancy, Duplicolor should be just fine. You shouldn't need to worry about the durability either since it is an auto paint after all. I also suggest getting the Duplicolor clear coat as it's least likely to react with the paint you've already put on. (Bad things can happen when you mix brands, always test beforehand if possible.)
I pride myself on my humility.
If you use a sanding block, it is not hard AT ALL to sand the only the bevels... but you need to sand the whole thing with either 600 or 800 grit anyway, because you will have to clear coat the whole thing after you are done.
Dont use nitro if you want a durable finish.. it is soft and takes forever to dry.