Okay guys I need some assistance. But before that, let it be known I am a fairly big newb when it comes to guitar set-ups although I am trying to learn. Typically all the work I would do on a guitar I would get done at a music shop. So go easy on me

Basically, the situation I have now is that I enjoy playing metal (more specifically metalcore/classic heavy/thrash) but I don't have a guitar set-up for it. The artists I cover with my band typically play in Drop C to Drop D tuning, but I wouldn't mind getting a guitar set-up for the range of Standard B tuning to Drop D tuning (if possible to stretch this far; if not then from Standard B to Drop C).

I currently own a Fender Strat HSS American Deluxe and an Edwards E-LP 92SD like those you see in the links provided. I am thinking of tuning the Fender for rock/blues/hard-rock and potentially using the Edwards for the metal set-up.

However, I am unsure whether the Edwards LP would be suitable for metal/core/thrash etcetera. Would using the Edwards be a good choice for a metal tune? If so, how should I go about doing so? (I was thinking EMG 81/85, heavy gauge strings, getting it set-up professionally)

If the Edwards is not a good choice, I was thinking of purchasing another guitar for metal. If so, what are some recommendations for such a set-up. I'm more used to the Fender's neck and I do enjoy using the tremolo a lot (although both aren't too essential). I was thinking along the lines of a DBZ Halcyon GX, an ESP EX (or other similar) series guitar or a Schecter, which I can pick-up from eBay or a store for not too much.

I will probably by buying a new amp soon as well and was going to go with a Marshall AVT stack or other similar. I currently use a solid state 100w amp (which does the job okay).

Sorry about the essay, I just wanted to be specific Any other information I can provide so you can better assist me I can! Fire away UGers.

TL;DR: Tune my Edwards E-LP 92SD for metalcore set-up (drop C tuning) or purchase another guitar?
Maybe you should just stick with your guitars I think they're pretty good enough. Get a good set of strings for your LP (if you go for drop C to drop B, you'll probably need like 12-58s or 11-58s, depending on what you use now..). Also, you could let the luthier near you to do the set-up. If you truly need drop D.. Maybe you could do that on your strat because I don't know any kind of strings can do drop D to drop B.

What I don't understand is that why do you think you need EMGs for thrash and other metal stuff? Probably you'd be better off with saving an awesome amp, like ENGL or Mesa or Peavey... Preferably versatile since you like to play some blues. Mesas are good for versatility.. They're expensive yeah, but they're also really, REALLY good.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Well typically most metal guitars I see use EMGs of some sort and I thought that adding some to my LP would give it a more metal-like tone (again I am a newb ), but if you feel the Seymour Duncans in it now should do the job, then I guess I'll just grab some heavy gauge strings and get it set-up for metal. Basically for metal I don't enjoy the current tone in the LP, but then again I guess that must have something to do with my amp. I'll look into those brands.

Oh and I was going to have my Fender set up for rock/hard-rock/blues, and keep the Edwards/whatever else exclusively for metal. I want an amp that would suit my Fender and Edwards/whatever. Does that change things at all?

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I thought the length of my post would deter people from posting
Your tone's got more to do with your amp than your guitar. Think of pickups as things to tweak your sound, not completely overhaul it. You should be looking more into upgrading your amp, and for the record Marshall AVTs are complete shit.

Those Edwards are great all-rounder guitars, I've wanted myself for a while now. Les Pauls are pretty common in metal. It's all ddown to your personal preference really.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
You should be looking more into upgrading your amp, and for the record Marshall AVTs are complete shit.

Two things I was hoping not to hear. Well I guess I should just get my guitar set-up with some heavy gauge strings, take it to a music shop and test a few amps. Thanks for the assistance guys.
I can't recommend the engl amps enough. Great sounding for metal and clean up well, though you might want a eq pedal for the cleans
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by antwan13
Two things I was hoping not to hear. Well I guess I should just get my guitar set-up with some heavy gauge strings, take it to a music shop and test a few amps. Thanks for the assistance guys.

Based on what the implied budget is a

This might not be a bad amp choice

Jet City 20w combo

If your funds are tighter a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ might be worth looking at.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
set-up the edwards with an adequately heavy string set. beyond that, the edwards should be just fine for metal, save for really extreme stuff.

as for the amp, I would dodge the marshall for heavier stuff. I know lots of guys play them for metal and hardcore, but I cannot for the life of me see why. better amps can be purchased for around the same money. plus the avt amps have never been all that great (people bought them because they said marshall on the front).

for an amp, you may want to go used so that you can get a much better amp and stay within your (implied, based on the gear you mentioned) budget. here are 2 ideas:
-Mesa Boogie dual rectifier + Cab used goes for about $1200-$1300 ($1000 for a single rec)
-Peavey 6505+ head with any $500 cab would be about $1200
Quote by avenge the rage
I can't recommend the engl amps enough. Great sounding for metal and clean up well, though you might want a eq pedal for the cleans

Interesting. These amps seem to be a bit more on the expensive side but I'll do some research. If they do sound as good as you say I guess I'll just start saving. (Note: I live in Australia and most music equipment is hugely expensive in comparison to the US)

Quote by Willowthewitch
Jet City 20w combo

If your funds are tighter a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ might be worth looking at.

Noted. Would you recommend that these amps would be loud enough for gigging though? I would be starting off in smaller venues but hopefully I can use these amps at larger venues too if I get there.

Quote by krehzeekid
set-up the edwards with an adequately heavy string set. beyond that, the edwards should be just fine for metal, save for really extreme stuff.

Okay sweet.

Quote by krehzeekid
as for the amp, I would dodge the marshall for heavier stuff.

Marshall seems to be less preferred. I will take note when I go to the shop.

Quote by krehzeekid
for an amp, you may want to go used so that you can get a much better amp and stay within your (implied, based on the gear you mentioned) budget. here are 2 ideas:
-Mesa Boogie dual rectifier + Cab used goes for about $1200-$1300 ($1000 for a single rec)
-Peavey 6505+ head with any $500 cab would be about $1200

Those are great prices, and Mesa definitely seems like it'd be a good option for the style I want to play, but yeah, I live in Aus and things are a bit on the expensive side. Will definitely look into these recommendations though.

Thanks for all the help guys! Appreciated.

And sorry for the late reply but I had work
The vt40 could play small bar gigs. For modelling amps and the price theyre quite well done.
I cant get enough distortion outta my vt30 for alot of what I play, but a pedal took care of that.
The effects are pretty crappy and the headphone inputs are complete junk, but IMO its got a nice smooth clean channel (a few actually)(with emgs or my sh-13).
I tried it out, a vypyr 30 and a mg30. Vox ftw. But if you wanna play larger gigs its a no go.