http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/elton_john/saturday_nights_alright_for_fighting_crd.htm

Those are the chords, I googled this and a lot of different answers came up, one said G major for the verse and C major for the chorus. But I think that may be wrong and that the verse in C major, seeming as it has C,F,G and Dm7 which are all in the key of C major, then I think the chorus is in F major seeming as it's got F,Bb and C. Is this right? Because I'm going against some of the answers in google. Also if I was soloing over this, would I just have to use the C major scale for the verse then just switch to the F major, simple as that, because I have never dealt with key changes like this in particular. Any other tips for the soloing is appreciated, thanks.
My name is Jack.
Well Jack, with my limited knowledge of music theory I think it's in the key of G. Depends on how you look at it, of course, but it would make sense if the F chord was the flat six (to build tension) the C is the three etc. The chorus should be in the key of C. You should note that there's a two-five leading up the C for the transition.

Soloing over this should be tricky. As such, I'm not going to say anything because I would have to assume, so I'll let another member talk about that.

Good luck!
C major for verse, then it changes to F major for the chorus is what I'll say after glancing over the first verse and chorus quickly. The reason why I don't think the verse is in G is because G is the perfect fifth of C and F is the perfect fourth, so it's just a standard I-IV-V kinda thing, also the Dm7 is part of C major and F major so that would work as a transition.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 17, 2011,
Pretty sure it goes from G to F, as Dm binds the verse to the chorus.

Don't hestitate to do some pentatonic licks in the lead.
I'm thinking the verse is in G major and the chorus is in C major. The progression in each key is I-VII-IV-I. Using the subtonic (lowered 7) rather than the leading tone for the second chord allows all of the harmonies to be major triads and it gives it a sort of 'rock/pop' sound. The Dm7 functions as a transitional chord since it lacks the leading tone of G major and works as a ii7 chord in C major.

For soloing I would recommend using a mixolydian or even a blues scale. Experiment with both raised and lowered 7th but I'm guessing the lowered 7th would fit in better with the sound of the song.
Quote by Sean0913
What does it resolve to?

This, definitely. You have to hear the resolution. As far as taking an educated guess...The Verse and Chorus have a recognizable pattern to them:

1st chord -> step down -> fourth down -> fifth up (a repeat of the first chord)

The step down is likely a borrowed subtonic (functioning as dominant), the third chord being the subdominant (as a predominant)...so, G for the verse, C for the chorus is a very real possibility.

The whole thing could be in C as well: V - IV - I - V for the verse, I - bVII - IV - I for the chorus. But, since this is how you will actually know the key, allow me to repeat [someone else] yet again!

Quote by Sean0913
What does it resolve to?

Ya dig?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
After listening to the song I can most definitely hear that the verse is in G major with a I-bVII-IV-I progression. It would be really hard to make yourself hear it as a V-IV-I-V. The C does not feel like a tonic at all. Especially consider the fact that the intro consists of only G and F chords.
Quote by RobinTrower12
After listening to the song I can most definitely hear that the verse is in G major with a I-bVII-IV-I progression.

Good! I feel like the point of actually listening to the music they are playing/writing/studying is sadly lost on too many people. Did you hear resolution in the chorus?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
If everything is in scale without any borrowed chords you're right.
And you really should go witht he idea of non borrowed chords.