So Facebook has rolled out a facial recognition service on the site

As far as I can tell, it sees photos that look like you and suggests people tag you in them?

There's a lot of controversy over this, but I'm not seeing the issue. Where's the risk in leaving it on?

What do you think of it? Creepy?
It's just another ploy to trick us into constant surveillance.

Not really, but I don't see why taggins is so important.
**** sake so every Harry Potter fan pic that is up there I am gonna be tagged in
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
You know the really simple way around it? Tag yourself in pictures that don't contain your face, like a picture of your guitar, some abstract pretty coloured artwork you did or a picture of your dog.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Crofty89
You know the really simple way around it? Tag yourself in pictures that don't contain your face, like a picture of your guitar, some abstract pretty coloured artwork you did or a picture of your dog.

Or just disable it in your privacy settings.
I went and turned it off as soon as I heard about this. I don't want no computer tagging my face, I hate it when people tag me in photos. Just really pisses me off. Or when you get tagged because half you face or arm is in the photo and you still get notifications for all the comments -_________-
Quote by Gyroscope

Could you direct me to that, I can't seem to find where it is in my privacy settings.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Crofty89
Could you direct me to that, I can't seem to find where it is in my privacy settings.

Account -> Privacy Settings -> Customize Settings -> Suggest photos of me to friends.
Quote by Sweet Laddio
I went and turned it off as soon as I heard about this. I don't want no computer tagging my face, I hate it when people tag me in photos. Just really pisses me off. Or when you get tagged because half you face or arm is in the photo and you still get notifications for all the comments -_________-

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to tagging. Every toe must be credited! Once I was busy tagging people in a friend's album when I got a call, it was her yelling: "STOP TAGGING EVERYTHING!! I already got a hundred e-mails for that!" I was on the 15th photo or something.
I'm curious as to how accurate it is, and whether it makes allowances for duckface.
🙈 🙉 🙊
To me the problem is that facebook just assumes that you WANT to be tagged in all kinds of pictures. If they offered the service as an option and if it were deactivated in the default settings, it wouldn't really be an issue to me. The problem is really just that assumption (much the same for newsfeed filtering, connecting to other web pages etc etc).

Additionally, it is an issue because technology like that could surely be used to gather and organize information about people, to "spy" on them. To see which of their friends people spend time with etc etc. That's just creepy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
I wasn't too concerned when I first heard about this, about I did think it was a bit dodgey when I realised this makes it possible to take a picture of someone you don't know and have facebook tell you who it is. That's a little weird. But meh, my facebook is all set private anyway, so I don't really care. Just be smart with your security settings if it bothers you.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Gyroscope

Hahahahaha
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
I don't care.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
is this only in the US or UK or something? I'm in Canada and when I looked for this option to disable it, it says this feature is not available to you yet.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I wasn't too concerned when I first heard about this, about I did think it was a bit dodgey when I realised this makes it possible to take a picture of someone you don't know and have facebook tell you who it is. That's a little weird. But meh, my facebook is all set private anyway, so I don't really care. Just be smart with your security settings if it bothers you.

See, it doesn't bother me, and it seems useful. But people are making a fuss of it, and I feel I'm being cavalier with my info? I feel like it's too late, anyway. Between using Gmail, Google Docs, and Facebook, the interwebz basically know everything.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
this makes it possible to take a picture of someone you don't know and have facebook tell you who it is

I'd imagine they would limit it to photos taken by friends/friends of friends
Makes me glad I quit Facebook.
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
I don't have Facebook so I don't really care.

People who say it's necessary either have jack shit for social skills or are too lazy to stay 'friends' (if you can even call it that) with people.