Hi again,

I'm a noob trying to figure out the best set-up to advance beyond some chords on a cheap acoustic.

I bought some books and sniffed around for countless hours on the net to learn what to look for.
At first I thought I needed a tube amp because the consensus is that the sound is superior.
But then I figured out that I first need to discover what style of music I like and will be playing before I can decide what to look for in a more expensive tube amp.
So as a first time investment, I will go for a modelling amp (do I hear a booh?) because with all the build-in effects/settings, I can go on a discovery trip without the need for much extra gear which might be unused in the future.

I looked up some reviews, manuals, ... for the Cubes, the Vypyrs, the Valvetronics and the Mustangs.
There seems a bit of a consensus (or a self fulfilling prophecy?) that the Mustangs are very good on the clean tones, the Vypyrs are excellent for metal stuff and the Cubes are in between meaning they are good overall but don't excel on either side of the spectrum.
I do like blues and classic rock, to the latest alternative music (not heavy metal though), so I guess the clean channels/effects will be most important and therefore I'm now favouring the Mustang.

But which one?
It will be used solely at home so 40 watts of the II should be plenty, but the III has some better specs. Better speaker (so they say), more settings, easy access and changing the settings, included foot switch (for a bit more expandable to 6 (2+4))...
But I don't care about (at least for now) about the power of 100 watts. I'm afraid it will be unusable for home playing without claiming the entire house.
I know it has a phone output, but it defeats the purpose of the amp a bit if I would be playing with a headphone most of the time.
But OTOH, I guess because of the better specs, the III will remain value more if I would sell it in the future and it is not because I won't use the power now, that it wouldn't be used in the future.

What to do?
Is the III usable at (very) low volumes?
You can run ss amps at a very low volume and they still sound good. I think your going in the right direction with a modler as your first amp. If you get a larger amp as your first when it comes time to play with a band one day, you will have some thing that will still work.
Geting one with better specs will keep you happier longer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Good idea.
Just use the volume knob. If the Mustang is anything like my RP, you'll have three volume related parameters to set- amp model volume, preset volume and master volume. With these three you should be able to get the volume you want.
I just bought the Mustang III for use in my study and I think it sounds great a low volumes.

I didn't need the 100 watts either. The reason I went with the MIII was because of the LCD display that allows me to easily change amp models, turn effects off and on, and dial in various effect parameters right on the amp. The Fuse software (although I haven't played with this yet) allows further tweaking, But for me, at least for now, the software is less important because of the ease of changing settings right on the amp. Hope this helps.
I own the III as well, awesome amp and plays well at low volumes.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
A modeling amp is the best 1st amp to get. Any that you have listed are fine choices for you. Have fun with it and welcome to Guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate