[If in wrong thread, please do not pull asshole mod, just tell me and I will delete if needed]

If you are an experienced and/or trained vocalist, then I am calling on YOU. hehe

Alright guys.. I am currently in the process of recording an acoustic song that I am composing. It is rare that I actually find good melodies, both acoustically and vocally, so I want to take full advantage of my situation.
I, myself, am not much of a singer though I have a passion for it. I can write really profound and meaningful lyrics, but the only thing that holds me back is my voice. I believe I can sing well.. but to a very limited extent. My range is sooo limited that at times I want to just slit my throat, but that is stupid and is besides the point; I want to know of ways to keep my throat clear because I notice I sing better when it is clear.

What are ways that I can help keep my throat clear and presentable? I know the most obvious one is to stay hydrated.. I'm on it already.
I also want to know these ways because I'd rather me speak in my deep voice rather than my tired, soft voice.

Thx in advance.
R.I.P. Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka and Dimebag Darrell.

My Gear:
Dean Two-Tone Razorback
LTD MH-50 w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG350MDX
Line 6 120w Spider III
Marshall MG30DFX
Roland Cube 30w
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching