Apart from colour, there may be a slight sound difference.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Maple is one of the brighter tone woods. Ebony sounds a lot darker to me.

Also, when you want maple you will need to make the entire neck out of it, for the sake of tradition. Ebony necks aren't made because it's a heavy wood, and it would throw the balance off of the guitar when it's hanging from your strap. If you want ebony, it will just be the fretboard.

When it comes to metal, you could take a cigar box guitar, hook it up to a Mesa and still kick more ass than most shred-kids, even with the tone. It doesn't matter really, just personal preference. I have none, but some will prefer ebony and rosewood over maple because it sounds darker than maple.
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Lord_Doku
Maple is one of the brighter tone woods. Ebony sounds a lot darker to me.

odd, because Ebony is supposed to be as bright or even brighter than Maple. Rosewood is the warmer wood.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
they bot hare bright. they have different feels.

maple boards (like fenders) are almost always finished unless its specified otehrwise (generally a custom build or a semi boutique brand). ebony requires no finish, so has more of a woody texture (rosewood has the most grain, so its the most woody)

both require to care, although the finish on maple can wear off giving it a road worn look. ebony needs nothing.

both are bright. i feel like most have a decent "POP" to thier notes, but maple has more. like strats. thei design, woods, bolt on neck andmaple boards make notes literally pop. or perhaps its how i play, cause i have a lot of attack to my picking.

i find a guitar with a set neck and an ebony board to have a more subtle pop, but a brightness none the less.

i would conclude with TONS of gain or perhaps even active pups, fingerboards have less impact on overall tone, but it still has an impact on attack and "pop" of the notes
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by randomhero93
odd, because Ebony is supposed to be as bright or even brighter than Maple. Rosewood is the warmer wood.

Really ? In my experience ebony was always darker to my ears than maple...

Maybe I ought to get my ears checked, been listening too much Happy Hardcore lately anyway
Quote by Lord_Doku
Really ? In my experience ebony was always darker to my ears than maple...

Maybe I ought to get my ears checked, been listening too much Happy Hardcore lately anyway

Typically the denser the wood the brighter it is. Maple and Ebony are both rather dense, rosewood less so.
Quote by Lord_Doku
Also, when you want maple you will need to make the entire neck out of it, for the sake of tradition. Ebony necks aren't made because it's a heavy wood, and it would throw the balance off of the guitar when it's hanging from your strap. If you want ebony, it will just be the fretboard.

I thought ebony necks wasn't common because it is so extremely expensive to make a whole neck of one piece of ebony. Another fact is that is rare to find a guitar today that has an ebony fretboard that has not been dyed black because of streaks of grey or brown that is a common natural occurrence in the wood - all black ebony is hard to find.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
I thought ebony necks wasn't common because it is so extremely expensive to make a whole neck of one piece of ebony. Another fact is that is rare to find a guitar today that has an ebony fretboard that has not been dyed black because of streaks of grey or brown that is a common natural occurrence in the wood - all black ebony is hard to find.

IMO they are speaking of Ebony necks....

and they mean fretboards........

and there are mostly Rosewood fretboards - and not Ebony.....
Ebony and maple fretboards are basically the same. Maple with a gloss finish can feel a little slicker if you're a super fast shredder who only touched the fretboard once in a while. Ebony is going to feel slicker if your fingers touch the fretboard a lot. The Jim Root guitar has big fretwire though so I don't think your fingers will be touched the wood much at all so that doesn't matter. Tone wise they're really close, pretty much the same. Ebony has a slightly more compressed tone so the initial pick attack comes through better and notes stay at a louder volume for slightly longer but then they suddenly die. Maple has softer attack. It seems to sustain better but the volume of the note does start to dip a little quicker. But like I said with a neck that has big fret wire like the Jim Root models it hardly mtters at all, the string will probably never come in contact with the fretboard.
^This.
Personally, ebony usually sounds a little bland to me, mostly because of the compression and fast decay, but thats on a maple neck. I usually prefer rosewood with maple, but all maple is good too.

Ebony on a mahogany neck is better IMO, the slower attack and warmth of the mahogany neck seems to offset the brightness and compression of the ebony.

Oh, and ebony necks do exist, they're just rare and expensive! You'll only ever see them on custom shop/high end boutique guitars
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 17, 2011,
If you have super jumbo or just large frets, it won't make a difference for the most part. I like a maple fretboard but ebony looks wonderful on darker colored guitars (save for a black strat... black strats with maple necks are TEH SEX!)
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I've used ebony fret boards since 81' to me is the Ferrari of fret boards smooth and very fast. After playing on ebony all these years it's hard to go with anything else. I have an 81' Custom Les Paul with very low action and I've never played an easier guitar to play than that one it's like playing on butter. I always spray my guitars with Finger Ease daily I'm sure most of you guys know about it. It's a string lubricant makes the fret changes faster and helps reduce finger tenderness and makes the neck look really nice, dark and like butter. I never play with out it. Can't stand dry necks. Ebony is easier to play IMO