Working on a kit build. It's a JEM style with a floyd rose. Seems that for the life of me, I can't get the strings off the frets. I've raised the floyd trem bridge as high as it can go, which I'm sure is too high (this was almost high enough and got rid of most of the contact, but then the balance springs snapped off). I've adjusted the truss til it is resisting, and have it looking pretty straight. Is there a chance that the neck isn't recessed enough into the body? What's a test for this? Is there a typical height from the body to the fretboard?

This is about the last thing that I have run into in this nightmarish build...
Last edited by Weszilla at Jun 17, 2011,
The nut seems plenty high, there's no issue at the first fret. I'll up some pictures later tonight.

It's a bolt on, is it possible the angle is too low or negative? How would I check and correct such a thing?
Many guitars actually can't operate with a perfectly straight neck. You need a bit of relief. Try setting up the guitar like this...

http://www.satriani.com/2000/about/gear/

It's basically how I set up my guitar. I use a $1 depth gauge from Radio Shack that measures 64ths of an inch for all my setup work.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 17, 2011,
If there's no contact at the first fret then the problem can't be in the nut, it is however possible that the neck angle is bad, if it is, just remove and reinstall the neck making sure it's making full contact, without a shim, if it fixes the overall situation you can then work on it to your liking
Quote by Shinozoku
Many guitars actually can't operate with a perfectly straight neck. You need a bit of relief. Try setting up the guitar like this...

http://www.satriani.com/2000/about/gear/

It's basically how I set up my guitar. I use a $1 depth gauge from Radio Shack that measures 64ths of an inch for all my setup work.

Out of the box, the neck was totally bowed, like a rainbow. It was completely unplayable, I feel pretty good about the truss setting right now. Starting to think it is the neck angle, since that would explain the buzz at every position. Shouldn't buzz on the 20th fret...
Good point. Either way that page is a great setup guide for low, even action
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores