Poll: Do you think it's a good idea to always have an extra pack if strings?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think it's a good idea to always have an extra pack if strings?
Yes
142 92%
No
12 8%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 4
Do you think it's a good idea to have an extra pack of strings just in case one breaks on you'll and of a sudden you don't have another one to put on?( long sentence I know)

I finally got my strings and I finally got the high e string back on my guitar . So I'm debating whether I should get another pack of strings just in case... What do you guys think?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
No. It's a terrible idea. Strings are so expensive and hard to carry around, I can't believe you even asked. The ones on the guitar are bad enough.
Roc, can you change the poll title? I meant "of" not "if". Thanks.
Quote by fly135

I'm not worried about the price. I use Ernie ball super slinky's which are $4 on Amazon. I would get them at a local music shop, but I have an Amazon gift card, and plus they are cheaper on Amazon then my music shop. I just want other peoples opinions.
Quote by Roc8995
No. It's a terrible idea. Strings are so expensive and hard to carry around, I can't believe you even asked. The ones on the guitar are bad enough.

He speaks the truth.
i think musicians friend sells just the high e, id keep a couple of them if youre playing out, id think thats the most common break
ibanez rocks
Does anybody have any alternatives to Ernie ball strings under $5?(9-42)
Is you local guitar shop is 30+ minuets away, then yes. Everytime I go, i buy 2-3 packs of strings just so I dont have to go back every 3-4 months. I cant even think of a reason not to..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Does anybody use Fender strings? How are they?
this thread delivers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've used them for a while. They sounded like any other string and held as long as any other string.

Personally, I like coated strings. Elixir Nanowebs in my case. They cost more than non-coated stuff, but also last me significantly longer, so much that it outweighs the initial cost by far.
how could the answer ever be no? there is literally NO advantage to not having extra strings.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Do you believe its a good idea to wear a seat belt?
Do you believe eating well and exercising is a good idea?
Do you believe paying credit card bills is a good idea?
double tap
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
how could the answer ever be no? there is literally NO advantage to not having extra strings.

Potentially, if you buy too many, you could be crushed under their weight. Or get lost in a labyrinth of string-packs.

Quote by darkwolf291
There's nothing that turns me on more than not having an extra set of strings. It's the ultimate in living on the edge. It's pure sexual thrill.

See, ts, this is what I'm talking about. You'll be drowning in strings while I'll be nailing that guy.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 17, 2011,
i also forgot about the potential to be the douchebag at a show that didnt bring extra strings for his squire, so he breaks a string "accidentally" and has to borrow the other band's prs custom 24. think about it TS, no strings=potential prs playing

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by kutless999
Do you think it's a good idea to have an extra pack of strings just in case one breaks on you'll and of a sudden you don't have another one to put on?( long sentence I know)

I finally got my strings and I finally got the high e string back on my guitar . So I'm debating whether I should get another pack of strings just in case... What do you guys think?
Buying spare strings requires careful thought about the following:
  • Will the $10 extra expense allow you to continue to support the bad habits of your groupies and hangers on?
  • And most important, how will it affect your sex change fund?

Good Luck!

I just ordered another pack. From now on, I think I'll always have an extra pack of strings just in case...

I knew some of you would make a joke about it.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 17, 2011,
I used to pack extra strings, but then i had a whole bunch of incomplete sets from just replacing the one I broke on the fly. Now, i bring my arc welder to practice and gigs and just weld the broken string back together.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by kutless999
I just ordered another pack. From now on, I think I'll always have an extra pack of strings just in case...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kutless999

I knew some of you would make a joke about it.

Cheaper in 3 packs
Just buy a bunch of spare high E's, and some G's. They break more than anything else xD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Just buy a bunch of spare high E's, and some G's. They break more than anything else xD

Yeah, but what if a b string breaks?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 17, 2011,
alert the UN?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by InanezGuitars44
double tap

Do this to girls.
GEAR:

1994 MIM Squier Strat with custom paint
Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
but if you leave spare sets of strings lying around, won't they rust off?

well maybe not so much for strings that come in air tight packaging (ernie ball, ghs boomers etc), but for strings that don't have air-tight packaging (d'addario), the strings will get rusty if you don't use them and just leave them in the packaging......
right now atm i have at least 30 sets of d'adarrios here....

bought a 10 pack of 11's had a bad set of strings, probably have 7 sets left.

brand new 10 pack d'add sent me because i called and complaned about a bad few sets of strings, they sent me a 10 pack, which is still untouched so 10 packs

i have a 10 pack of 9's that are a few years old (plastic wrapped though) that has been untouched, so another 10 packs.

and i think i have a few sets of 10's somewhere

and have IIRC 3 packs of 12's

other random strings and classical strings puts me at maybe 35ish EXTRA sets of strings.

buy in bulk. it saves the wallet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you want to be that annoying band member that is never prepared and always bumming things of the other guys like strings, cables, batteries and picks then sure, don't take any spares. But if you don't want to be the band douche buy spares.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification