just curious as to when i should change strings on my acoustic elec. i play on average about 30 min./day. i have been leaving them on about 2 months on average-what are your thoughts on this??
Whenever you feel like it. I change mine every week or two simply because I don't like the feel & sound of dirty strings. Also depends on your body chemistry, how fast your sweat & oils wear the strings down.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Also depends on type of strings and manufacturer as to quality of strings.
I dont know about acoustics, but on my electrics i have left them on ther for 6 months before and nothing was bothering me, sure it isnt healthy, but i dont mind the sound of dirty strings, and sometimes life just decides to make you poor
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
i leave them on until they sound dead, or until i need them to sound good again. if i know i'm not doing any studio work or playing gigs for the next 10 months lets say, i wont change the strings. i dont care much when i'm not doing anything important. they sound good enough to me. i'm not made of money. i cant keep changing strings every 10 days
I leave my acoustic strings on for a longer time, I love the sound of worn in Acoustic strings, as opposed to new strings so I try to change them as little as possible.

On electric I change then whenever they break.
Here's a quick flow chart as to when to change your strings.

Do your strings sound the way you want them to and play well?
1. Yes
2. No

If 1, do not change them.

If 2, proceed to changing them.

Honestly, just change it... whenever. I used to change my strings every 2-3 weeks because I played really often. Nowadays, I actually haven't changed my strings in a good few months.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i'm with them - change them when they don't sound good to you. on the other hand, i recommend never to change them just before a show as new strings tend to sound different (and to me, not as good) as strings that have had a few days to break in.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
you should definetely change them when the part of the string on the fret board begans to change color or when you tune them and they dont stay for a long time. i'll about once a month but if it can stay tune for two that's great !! once you get yo kno you;ll guitar more itll be easier to decide
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD