Hi, i am looking for a decent/cheap boost pedal I have my eyes on:
Big Muff
Micro Big Muff
Angry Troll
MXR boost line driver

Are these good? The muffs look cheap so i might buy one of these.
I'll be using it in solo's as my amp is a single channel amp.

To get the volume to boost can i use it upfront or must it be in the effects loop?
Thanks for any help
muffs are fuzzes- not what you want if you want an actual boost.

it'll only boost the volume much upfront if the amp's set clean. if you run the amp distorted it'd need to be in the loop to get a volume boost, yeah.

I haven't tried those particular boost pedals, so I can't really help. I know there are tons of options, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I will be running the amp distorted, i just need the boost for solo's. I already have a DS-1, if i put that in the loop would it work as a boost pedal?
Quote by darkwolf291
DS-1 isnt the best boost in the world.
I'd grab a Bad Monkey if I were you, or a Tubescreamer if you can afford it.

Yeah i know, i got it when i was first starting.
well you could build one for 22 dollars
http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/SoloPro.pdf
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies

That seems like a good idea, i might do this i need it ready by 2nd july. I've got lots of spare time, because i've finished school. Is it easy to do, i want to start doing stuff like this but havent tried yet.

Also I tried my DS-1 into the effects loop on my Laney TF700 and got a noticeable boost, this is my backup amp, since i got my main amp back today i tried it in the loop and i couldn't get it to boost the volume it was barely noticeable. I think this could be my amp has this happened to anyone before. Its a Laney GH100L
have you got the loop switched on on the laney?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
put it in the front of the amp, not the fx loop it will work better this way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
have you got the loop switched on on the laney?

Yeah i've tried it in both insert and sidechain.

Quote by Robbgnarly
put it in the front of the amp, not the fx loop it will work better this way.

I've also tried this, just sounded the same.
ah ok, just making sure

how loud do you have the laney? the boost in the loop will only work if it's well below power tube clipping (i think).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dial your ch vol back a little and boost the master to the same level(volume wise) and see if that helps.
just a suggestion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah that'd be worth a try.

though if the master's on 1 (depending on where it and the gain/drive controls are in the circuit) it should still work.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I might sell it once the ironheart is out. Just for gigging at the moment, people say my solos are to quite. Would it be worth getting an eq pedal, like the Boss GE-7?
typically you would put your gain/drive effects before the amp input, and you would put your time domain effects like chorus/delay in the effects loop.

boost is often used in a boost/drive context. it's adding input gain, but also adding saturation to the input signal at the same time. it's often used to a have a solo stand out. usually having a bit more drive besides a bit more volume is a welcome addition to the sound in that setting. the saturation compresses the signal, which adds to the standing-out of the solo because the notes "stay there" rather than disappear quickly in terms of volume.
Quote by joesix
typically you would put your gain/drive effects before the amp input, and you would put your time domain effects like chorus/delay in the effects loop.

boost is often used in a boost/drive context. it's adding input gain, but also adding saturation to the input signal at the same time. it's often used to a have a solo stand out. usually having a bit more drive besides a bit more volume is a welcome addition to the sound in that setting. the saturation compresses the signal, which adds to the standing-out of the solo because the notes "stay there" rather than disappear quickly in terms of volume.

I normally do put my ds-1 upfront (on the rare occasion that i use it), but i was trying it as a boost pedal, which i've heard works better in the loop. It did have much more volume in the loop than out front on my TF700, but no difference on my GH100L.
Would the Boss GE-7 eq work good as a boost as it has level and the ability to boost mids.
I don't think many people understand what you mean. You're after a volume boost, for your solos, right?

Putting the DS-1 in your fx loop will give you a volume boost. Putting it in front of your amp like everyone else is saying will just give you a distortion effect. I use a Boss GE7 for my solos to give a volume and subtle mids boost. I think an eq pedal would be your best bet. They also work best in your loop.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Quote by Bidley
I don't think many people understand what you mean. You're after a volume boost, for your solos, right?

Putting the DS-1 in your fx loop will give you a volume boost. Putting it in front of your amp like everyone else is saying will just give you a distortion effect. I use a Boss GE7 for my solos to give a volume and subtle mids boost. I think an eq pedal would be your best bet. They also work best in your loop.

Yeah exactly, thanks
I'm thinking of getting the GE-7 pretty soon I've just bought a GE-7, 5 mins ago from ebay.
Last edited by RockGuitarist09 at Jun 19, 2011,
Ive got this amp (love it!) and had trouble trying to get a volume boost for solo's. I have a Marshall BBII which has a boost function but I couldnt seem to increase the volume either before the amp or in the loop.

At the moment I just use the extra gain stage (about 3/4 round) and switch pickups to try and cut through. I need to fiddle a bit more!
Quote by selkies

This isn't a boost. It's two volume pots you can set to different levels. While you can set one higher than the other, it won't be an actual boost. It would just be like turning your guitar's volume knob up.

This is a boost. http://www.buildyourownclone.com/confidence.html
IMO the best way to boost your solos is with an EQ pedal in the loop.
You can either leave the frequencies alone, and just raise the level slider, or up the mid frequencies and level slider for a really nice solo boost.
When you boost the mids and level even just a little it really helps those solos cut through the bass and drums and other guitars.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Last edited by TornUp at Aug 13, 2011,
dont forget clean boosts. they provide a "Clean" gain that doesnt add more grit like a tubescreamer...pretty much only volume.

for example, a level control on a boss pedal, sitting next to a gain. level is more of a cleaner boost.

a clean boost pedal like a katana, BBE boosta Grande, etc are clean boosts.

EQ pedals with level controls are clean boosts - like the BOSS GE7. i have one and use it for that and tone shaping. 2 pedals in one.

IMO i will ALWAYS own an EQ pedal.

...and not true. i run my EQ pedal in front and trust me...it can boost the heck out of the volume cleanly. it goes to 15 DB....most of the time a boost of 3 or so DB is VERY VERY noticable. 5 + is generally overpowerng the band if you are already set even in the mix.