Hey, I'm a beginner guitarist and I am looking for an electric guitar for anything up to about the $300 price range. I really do not know much about guitars, but I have done some research and found a few supposedly good guitars.
I've narrowed it down to the Les Paul Special II, Musicman Sterling Silo 20, and Ibanez RG120.
Which of these should I get, and why? Also, if these aren't the best I can get for the price range, then what other guitars are recommended?

Note: I'm aware that the Sterling is definitely above $300, but there's a sale on it at my local store bringing it to around this price, which is why I have it listed here.

Thanks for any help in advance.
I'd say a Jackson Dinky:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32rt-dinky-electric-guitar

or an Ibanez rg2ex1:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg2ex1-electric-guitar

Both are solid guitars for beginners or intermediate players.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
what genre's are you going to be playing? and do you already have an amp?

i would go for the musicman out of those, but i wouldn't actually buy any of those for myself. i'm not a fan of ibanez or epiphone necks, and i'm overall just not a MM guy. but if you let us know your style, we'll be glad to help
Quote by User_Name336
what genre's are you going to be playing? and do you already have an amp?

i would go for the musicman out of those, but i wouldn't actually buy any of those for myself. i'm not a fan of ibanez or epiphone necks, and i'm overall just not a MM guy. but if you let us know your style, we'll be glad to help

It's a little early to know yet what I might end up playing, but if I continue with the sort of roots I went along with my drumming (percussion is my first instrument), I would definitely say rock and metal. And no, I don't have an amp yet.
Quote by Lumpsack
It's a little early to know yet what I might end up playing, but if I continue with the sort of roots I went along with my drumming (percussion is my first instrument), I would definitely say rock and metal. And no, I don't have an amp yet.

Well firstly, decide what you wanna play.

Ibanez RG120s are great guitars. Just block off/hardtail the bridge and it's an amazing guitar for the price.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
It seems like the Ibanez seems to be the big gun here, I think that might be what I end up going for. However, if anyone has any objections I'd love to hear them too.
I'd say the Epiphone is more of a classic-modern rock sound and the RG is suited fora little higher gained stuff......try them out and see what's more comfy.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The singer in my band plays a Les Paul Special II, and it is surprisingly good for how cheap it is. When I first played it, I thought it was about a $600 guitar.
I highly recommend it, as, seeing as its a Les Paul, it can play practically any style. The neck feels fine to me, and I usually hate Epiphone necks. My singer's guitar is black with gold hardware, which looks amazing but I don't think is available any more. Still, black with nickel doesn't look too shabby
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Just wanna double Ibanez recommendation here - those guitars are somewhat cheap yet could be a good investment for the future. I still prefer my old Ibanez even over ESP's to be honest but I guess that's just a personal preference.
Thank god nobody's recommended the shitty ass Squires.

I also recommend Ibanez. Out of all guitar companies Ibanez in my opinion has the best low-end guitars. Even the cheapest models I've tried managed to play and feel decent plus it stayed in tune.
I'd recommend a used MIM strat or tele. You can pick those up for ~300 USD and they are excellent, solid instruments that can be used for almost any genre.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Out of those guitars the MM is the best choice IMO. But have you looked at the Epi G-400?
The Vintage models are only $299 and are great for the price. All mahogany, set neck, Grover romantic tuners all stock. The pickups are not great, but I have deff heard worse on a $300 guitar. The finish is also a satin finish, which means a very smooth neck. The only guitar that you listed that would come close to the quality of the G-400 is the MM Sterling from your list. I have one and swaped the bridge p/u for a Seymoure Duncan SH-4 and now I have a grand total of $372 in my G-400 and it is a great guitar for practicly any stlye I want to do now. But it does Metal/Punk great now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Out of those guitars the MM is the best choice IMO. But have you looked at the Epi G-400?
The Vintage models are only $299 and are great for the price. All mahogany, set neck, Grover romantic tuners all stock. The pickups are not great, but I have deff heard worse on a $300 guitar. The finish is also a satin finish, which means a very smooth neck. The only guitar that you listed that would come close to the quality of the G-400 is the MM Sterling from your list. I have one and swaped the bridge p/u for a Seymoure Duncan SH-4 and now I have a grand total of $372 in my G-400 and it is a great guitar for practicly any stlye I want to do now. But it does Metal/Punk great now.

As shallow as it sounds, I heard that the Epiphone is great, but I just really dislike the look, and I'm not sure how much enjoyment I would get out of something I don't really want to see despite how good the quality.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it seems as if an Ibanez is the best course of action right now; I appreciate the help.
Quote by Lumpsack
As shallow as it sounds, I heard that the Epiphone is great, but I just really dislike the look, and I'm not sure how much enjoyment I would get out of something I don't really want to see despite how good the quality.

Thanks for all the comments guys, it seems as if an Ibanez is the best course of action right now; I appreciate the help.

No worries not everyone likes SG's, for someting more traditional the LP studio is pretty diecent.
Have a look at ether RondoMusic or GuitarFettish they have some realy diecent guitars for realy cheap compared to Ibanez/Epiphone/Squire.
The Xavierre guitars from GF have realy good electronics way better than anything in there price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate