Okay, so basically, somewhere down the line i'd like to buy a tele, but i realise there are a lot of different types out there, fender mexican, fender deluxe, etc. So i don't really know what i'm looking for or what is best. So i'm making this thread just to get info and opinions from you about different teles.

I'm really interested in one just because it would be a nice difference to my other guitars and i've always liked the sound of them, so this would give me a bit more variety, i need a decent single coil guitar anyway. I usually play like, bluesy rock with loads of fuzz and such and i realise you can basically use any guitar to get that sound if you set everything up right, but i thought i'd just mention it anyway.

I suppose the budget would be around £600 , i'm not planning on getting one just now so it isn't urgent, but i'd like to know more.
I got a mexi tele. I have a lot of issues with the electronics. My pickup switch cuts out whenever I switch to the bridge. Easy fix, but I'm lazy. Wouldn't trade this thing for the world though. It's got "character."
Of the Teles I've had a go on/own/owned:

Fender MIM Standard - used to have one of these. Got it for very cheap. Played well, looked good, good built quality. Solid as a rock in fact. This was my 'beater' guitar and would hang around my room at uni. I knocked it etc but the thing was still flawless. Literally had no complaints about this guitar. I regretted selling it until I got my next Tele. The reason I did sell it was that the polyester finish started pissing me off, and I was getting to the stage where I was thinking of upgrading parts. I felt that it would be better to sell and start afresh.

Fender Baja Telecasters - I really like these. Before the recent price hikes these were the best value Teles in my opinion. Played nicely, sounded good, the parallel switching option was a real bonus. Reviews on these things are all excellent as well so they seem to stand the test of time.

American Special Telecasters - sounded great, felt cheap. For some reason they feel very toy-like. I can't quite put my finger on why though, I think it's the way they finish them. I wouldn't buy one new.

American Standard - on the used market these are excellent value. On your budget I'd say this is probably what you should go for. You'll easily be able to get one on that budget. The hardware is a big step up from the MIMs and I've never played one I didn't like. Have all the classic Tele twang and real comfortable to play. I nearly bought one a few months ago.

American Deluxe Tele - what I actually bought was this. Not much more than the American Standard but it has binding, a nicer finish and nicer grain wood, locking tuners, schaller straplocks, S-1 switching option. I'm not 100% on the noiseless pickups but the reason I bought this was that it plays magnificently. The finishing is all perfect and the neck is orgasmic. Really smooth, frets nice and even, but the big thing is the compound radius. The neck joint is also curved for better access at the higher frets. This guitar really blew me away and I had to buy it. I have a feeling this will be out of your price range though, even used.

I think that's about it for Teles I can remember well.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 17, 2011,
mij tokai breezysound EDIT: assuming you're after a vintage spec tele

fretkings (if my strat-style one is anything to go by) would be nice too if you're after a more modern style of tele
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Duv
Of the Teles I've had a go on/own/owned:

Fender MIM Standard - used to have one of these. Got it for very cheap. Played well, looked good, good built quality. Solid as a rock in fact. This was my 'beater' guitar and would hang around my room at uni. I knocked it etc but the thing was still flawless. Literally had no complaints about this guitar. I regretted selling it until I got my next Tele. The reason I did sell it was that the polyester finish started pissing me off, and I was getting to the stage where I was thinking of upgrading parts. I felt that it would be better to sell and start afresh.

Fender Baja Telecasters - I really like these. Before the recent price hikes these were the best value Teles in my opinion. Played nicely, sounded good, the parallel switching option was a real bonus. Reviews on these things are all excellent as well so they seem to stand the test of time.

American Special Telecasters - sounded great, felt cheap. For some reason they feel very toy-like. I can't quite put my finger on why though, I think it's the way they finish them. I wouldn't buy one new.

American Standard - on the used market these are excellent value. On your budget I'd say this is probably what you should go for. You'll easily be able to get one on that budget. The hardware is a big step up from the MIMs and I've never played one I didn't like. Have all the classic Tele twang and real comfortable to play. I nearly bought one a few months ago.

American Deluxe Tele - what I actually bought was this. Not much more than the American Standard but it has binding, a nicer finish and nicer grain wood, locking tuners, schaller straplocks, S-1 switching option. I'm not 100% on the noiseless pickups but the reason I bought this was that it plays magnificently. The finishing is all perfect and the neck is orgasmic. Really smooth, frets nice and even, but the big thing is the compound radius. The neck joint is also curved for better access at the higher frets. This guitar really blew me away and I had to buy it. I have a feeling this will be out of your price range though, even used.

I think that's about it for Teles I can remember well.

This is helpful ! :3 , i think deluxes seem to be quite expensive from what i've seen though but MIMs are well within the budget like i say. Right now i'm just looking for as much info as possible about experiences and such so replies like this are helpful because i've always been quite in the dark about this.
If you can stretch your budget by another £100 or so you could be lucky and find a MIA Deluxe, but if not a 2nd hand MIA STd are still very nice.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Forget about fenders if you can get your hands on a G&L ASAT they are better in every way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Classic 50's and 60's Telecasters are Mexican Telecasters with "Vintage-esque" specs. The big difference is that they get a pickup upgrade from the Standards. But there are other superficial features, like finish, types of tuners, number of screws in the pickguard, etc. that separate them from the Standards. The only differences between them is the Fretboard and finish options.

Basically, if you are already planning on upgrading your Telecaster, or unless one of the '50s or '60s has a finish that you have to have, go with the Standard. If you are one of the people who believe that upgrading is more trouble than it's worth, or don't know your way around a soldering iron, or for any other reason you probably won't upgrade you tele, and don't mind the "special" features, go Classic Series (Or more likely, Classic Player Series, like a Baja Telecaster).

Also, if you are in a guitar store that has a Road Worn Tele, try it out. You might think it looks gaudy as hell (or maybe you're one of the blessed few that doesn't care how a guitar looks), but at least try one. They are some of the nicest playing guitars south of $1K.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Robbgnarly
Forget about fenders if you can get your hands on a G&L ASAT they are better in every way.

This all the way. They feel and sound way better than any fender I have ever played.

On topic though, I was in your shoes a few years ago and I just ended up playing a ton of different teles and building one of my own. I ended up spending a lot less than what your budget is too so,that may be something to look into yanno.
Mexican thinline tele in wine or candy apple red. Sexiest guitar I've ever seen. I've yet to play an american one that could justify the price jump compared to a mexican. If you really want a nice one, go out and find a japanese one. The paisley tele's are fantastic.