Hey, I got this guitar a year ago, and the tuning absolutely fails. On top of that, the G string ALWAYS sounds out of tune no matter what. The strings also pull out of tuning when I slide/bend too much.

Basically, what can I get without spending more than about 50$, that will get this thing more reliable. New Nut? New Tuners? Both? My band is pulling off our first gig, and I cant go on stage with this thing in its current condition.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
If the G string never sounds in tune, change the strings, and set the intonation. If you can find a place to buy both a new nut, and upgraded tuners, for $50, go for it (maybe you could find a set of Grovers, second hand). Good nuts usually have to be custom made.
Last edited by Grif22 at Jun 17, 2011,
take it to a tech.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
More specific? I've taken it to guitar center before and he did nothing much...
I have an Epiphone G-310. Its G string goes out of tune after every song I play. Things start to sound really bad in the middle of a long song like Xanadu (For those who don't know, the main guitar part is about eight minutes long), so I have to retune it in the middle. Nothing else goes wildly out of tune, the G just downtunes a half step or more.
Guitars: Sterling/Music Man John Petrucci Signature TRS, Epiphone SG G-310 (red)
Amps: Fender Frontman 15W
Effects: BOSS ME-25 multi-effects

Quote by Basti95
I still don't get it - therefore Kazinsal can only be better than me
get some locking tuners from guitarfetish.com they're like $30 and will definitely be an upgrade from the stock hardware. And when you get some new cash maybe look into some of their pickups too. Prolly your best option if you wanna go cheap
No offence, but the Special is a really awful guitar. If you're planning on gigging more, I really do suggest you invest in a new guitar. You can get a second hand Epiphone SG-400 for around £150, it will be significantly better.
Dont worry, I'm aware this thing sucks, it was my first guitar. Didn't know when I bought it.