I need to get my tremolo picking speed up quite a bit. My ideal speed would be to at least play 16th notes at 250 bpm/sixtuplets at 150-160 bpm. What would be the ideal way for me to go about practicing this and how long do you think it would take to reach my goal?
Really? I've seen some of my favorite bands do it, and in fact i think ive even heard them go further than that. Listen to Fleshgod Apocalypse, im pretty sure thier tremolo speeds are around that speed.
I'll tell you but its a secret! PLEASE keep it to yourself.....ok the secret is.....PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guys come on I know this. I'm asking HOW to practice this, as in what would be the most effective way. Should I just keep trying to increase my speed playing runs with a metronome or are there techniques I should look into? Ive been told that just by slowly trying to go faster on a metronome doesn't always work well and can take a very long time so thats why I am asking if there would be a more effective way.
It's literaly just practice. Make sure you pick from the wrist and not the elbow, make sure you don't tense up, and make sure you make a nice side to side motion with your wrist to pick. Then just practice anything you want over and over and over to drums/drummachine/mp3s/whatever to get it faster
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Templar0220
Really? I've seen some of my favorite bands do it, and in fact i think ive even heard them go further than that. Listen to Fleshgod Apocalypse, im pretty sure thier tremolo speeds are around that speed.

16th notes at 4/4 time at 250 bpm is about 1000 notes a minutes dude
im pretty sure thats not possible or very very difficult
Last edited by supersac at Jun 17, 2011,
Alright then I guess I'll just continue to do that. It just gets frustrating when I haven't improved with it but I'll keep at it, thanks.
Quote by supersac
im sure thats not possible

World record is over 300
Quote by supersac
im sure thats not possible

Well look at the guitar pro tab on this site for Thru Our Scars by Fleshgod Apocalypse, I know tabs aren't always the best reliable source but look at that and then listen to the song. If Im wrong, im wrong but look into that and tell me what you think.
Quote by Templar0220
Alright then I guess I'll just continue to do that. It just gets frustrating when I haven't improved with it but I'll keep at it, thanks.

economy of picking motion comes to mind as something crucial at really fast tempos.
maybe that's something to work on?
Quote by supersac
fixed

but serious i doubt anyone here is anywhere near world record breaking speeds

You'd be surprised, it's officialy 320, but I've seen the same guy go to 370 or something stupid. I can get up to around 260-270 ish. Not that it's very useful or melodic...
Trust me, at 250 bpm 16th's it'll just sound like a muddy ass mess unless you have some seriously good refined technique over many years and strings tight-as-a-you-know-what.
One thing I never could do was trem pick that well.

I can alternate pick pretty damn fast on the low strings with no problem, but I just can't seem to do the trem picking guys like EVH do so well.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
one string tremolo picking could be done in 250bmp 16th notes. Thats arround 16 notes per second, considering Jason Beckers serrana sweeps are at arround 24 notes per second (red somewhere on the internet, someone counted), its not an impossible feat
I ,myself, am at 190bmp 16th, picking chromatics.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Around 240 BPM is where bands like Nile and Suffocation live. It is entirely possible.
Quote by Templar0220
I need to get my tremolo picking speed up quite a bit. My ideal speed would be to at least play 16th notes at 250 bpm/sixtuplets at 150-160 bpm. What would be the ideal way for me to go about practicing this and how long do you think it would take to reach my goal?

Practice very slowly but with very small picking motions. Keep in mind they way you hold the pick and the how it's hitting the strings as those are both very crucial when you're going for very fast speeds.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Oh and I've found Slayer riffs are great for getting that tremolo speed up.
Thank you for proving my point fader, and Bryce, I appreciate that advice. I hold the pick all the way up to the tip to where theres only a small tip showing and I usually tilt the pick a bit especially since Im playing with thick gauge strings.