Hey guys,

About 2 days ago my amp started making some crazy new noises. It seems to start making sounds similar to when you accidentally unplug your patch cord from the head itself, but it does it when I'm playing. It seems to only do it when I play at louder volumes, or with a heavier bass setting.

I've already made sure that it isn't any of patch cords or pedals. It continues to happen when I plug directly in, even with a bunch of different cables.

I kind of suspect my speaker cable, however, I'm not sure it would cause sounds like this. Could it be from my tubes dying? Or some other kind of electrical short that I'm not aware of? Any info would be great! Also, I can try to record the sound if necessary.
It sounds to me like the beginning of your power tubes going. Mine did that at first and eventually turned into popcorn popping.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
It sounds to me like the beginning of your power tubes going. Mine did that at first and eventually turned into popcorn popping.

Im trying to record a clip so you can hear what it sounds like. It seems to have stopped momentarily, which it tends to do, haha. It doesn't do it all the time, but still. If I can get it to happen again, I'll record a quick clip.
yeah a crackling that comes and goes, and like a low pitched kinda hum? I had the same kinda thing. I rotated the power tubes which solved the problem for a while. The noises eventually came back, I replaced the tubes and now its fine.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Jun 17, 2011,
I was told it might be some form of loose connection or dirty volume pot, so I took the head apart last night and used contact cleaner on the volume pots, as well as the input jack. The connection between the cable and jack was completely solid, so I've ruled that out. The noise still persists after about 5-10 minutes of playing on both channels, and at any volume. I've tried different guitars and cables, and it still happened. I also tried my old amp running through my cabinet to make sure it wasn't a speaker issue. I'm not sure what else to rule out. It seems like the tubes are the only thing I haven't tested. Is there anyway to check if the tubes are in fact dying (visual, physical, etc)?

If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I'd be very thankful. I need this thing back to normal as soon as possible, and I don't know what else to try.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Jun 22, 2011,