10 12%
Tabs make me play like a pro!
15 18%
LOUD NOISES!
58 70%
Voters: 83.
Page 1 of 2
Ok, i'm drunk.

I'm aware of the flak i'm about to receive as this is a tab site but I find the forums are a good learning resource for shiz.

I was dependant on tabs for ages. I met this dude and his words were... "Learn an SRV song by ear, if you can pick up 5 notes from the song by ear instead of tab, you'll be a better guitarist". I should also mention i'm a blues dude, he's not an SRV clone, he's all about playing in the key of jazz.

Within 6 months I would say my musical ear has improved massively. I can improvise 10 times better and no seem to know what a lot of blues songs go like (including leads/solos) before I touch my guitar.

Hendrix never had tabs. SRV never did. BB king doesn't know any theory from a "theory" point of view. He was playing CAGED before it became CAGED. Van Halen didn't have no tabs. Jimmy Page didn't have no tabs. These are all guitarists that are immortal through music. Even Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen! Joe Bonamassa, no tabs. The list is endless!

So my point is. All you guitarists wanting to learn from tab and think you will become musical. You won't. Learn from tab, you'll gain technique and sound like Herman Li. Shit. Fast and not musical. Not immortal through music.

All you guitarists that have developed a good ear. I commend you. Well done. I'm jealous I didn't start earlier.

Also, don't understand this as me hating tabs. They are a fantastic resource when you are a n00b. But when you see the light, it's amazing. Music is an audible thing. Don't learn it by reading. Learn it by listening. It may be the hardest thing you do and take you a day to learn a simple track but it'll improve your playing and improvising by far.

Agree or disagree, I don't care. If this shit i've posted makes one person to learn by ear. I win. Now where the **** did I put my beer.

I'll make a poll because i'm drunk.
Um, the key of Jazz? That guy's a tool.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by gquady09

Why? He earns more in a month than I do in 6 through his playing compared to my steady office wage. He's probably the best mucisian i've ever met. He does it as a full time job.
Anyone who considers Jazz a key is an idiot.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Yes, learning by ear is a great thing.

You just sound like an close minded idiot right now.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by gquady09

probably not. he prolly just means he plays what he feels and isnt constricted to a rigid structure of scales when writing or improvising songs
Quote by gquady09

So you have no sense of humour? It was a joke.
Quote by PanamaJack666
Now where the **** did I put my beer.

You're cool because you referenced beer in your post.
Quote by PanamaJack666

So my point is. All you guitarists wanting to learn from tab and think you will become musical. You won't. Learn from tab, you'll gain technique and sound like Herman Li. Shit. Fast and not musical. Not immortal through music.

I have to admit, this cracked me up. Herman Li hasn't been relevant for a good two or three years by the way.
Quote by PanamaJack666
So you have no sense of humour? It was a joke.
Yeah, right. You are probably just saying that sense people are calling your bluff.
Quote by wizards?
I have to admit, this cracked me up. Herman Li hasn't been relevant for a good two or three years by the way.

My point exactly! Who the **** cares about him apart from guitar hero fan boys!
Last edited by PanamaJack666 at Jun 17, 2011,
I agree with you, but in all honestly i'm just too lazy too learn songs by ear.
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Jun 17, 2011,
Satriani, Malmsteen, and Vai all use standard notation pretty frequently.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by due 07
Yeah, right. You are probably just saying that sense people are calling your bluff.

If only we were discussing my musical knowledge and not acknowledging the point i'm trying to make.

What I know isn't important. The point i'm trying to make is.
>None of the blues players you listed there had tab
You've never heard of fake books, or musicians trading tabs, have you?

You are right that figuring out by ear can help you improve in certain aspects as a player, but otherwise it is fairly obvious that you are drunk.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 17, 2011,
Hendrix didn't use tabs because he didn't grow up wanting to learn songs by Jimi Hendrix. Rite?

Quote by PanamaJack666

I'm going to say this. Quantum Physics is all baloney, Einstein's Theory of Relativity was all made up on the spot and he has no evidence or logical reasoning behind it. Whether I know anything about said theories isn't important. The point I'm making is.
Last edited by Ghefly at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Banjocal
>None of the blues players you listed there had tab
You've never heard of fake books, or musicians trading tabs, have you?

You are right that figuring out by ear can help you improve in certain aspects as a player, but otherwise it is fairly obvious that you are drunk.

The point i'm trying to make is people are too reliant on them. I find it quicker to learn by ear now anyway and only use tabs ultimately to gain knowledge as to why, not how.
Quote by gquady09

Not true, E is the only key worth playing in, any other key is pushing it and is basically jazz.

Quote by due 07
Your point is moot if you think there is something called "the key of Jazz".

Lies. ^
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by PanamaJack666
If only we were discussing my musical knowledge and not acknowledging the point i'm trying to make.

Your point is moot if you think there is something called "the key of Jazz".
Jazz is a myth
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Do yourself a favor and just shut up and drink your beer.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Before I started reading tabs I was quite shit at improvising and learning songs by ear. Even if you're reading it off of a tab doesn't mean you can't think about it as well. Soon enough the pieces started to fall into place and it became a lot easier to construct songs/figure out how other songs are constructed.
REGGIE
Quote by gquady09

sigged
I learn other people's song's because I think they're fun to play, I don't want a challenge to play a song I didn't write. When I want to be challenged musically, I'll write my own songs.

Only tabs I like are acid.

But seriously, I prefer notes, though I'm usually too lazy and use the tabs.
Quote by jimmyled
Only tabs I like are acid.

But seriously, I prefer notes, though I'm usually too lazy and use the tabs.

If I could be arsed to figure out how to sig that line, I would.
Iv'e been trying to transcribe crap by ear for a while now. what songs would you recommend to transcribe? Right now I've just been doing white stripes stuff.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by PanamaJack666

Being drunk is no excuse for being an idiot. You're pretty much saying that anyone who uses any form of music notation will not become "musical." Believe it or not, rock guitarists are not the height of musical knowledge. Thousands of accomplished composers and millions of musicians learn, write and play through notated music. You are wrong. You could not be more wrong. You lose. Good day sir.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Being drunk is no excuse for being an idiot. You're pretty much saying that anyone who uses any form of music notation will not become "musical." Believe it or not, rock guitarists are not the height of musical knowledge. Thousands of accomplished composers and millions of musicians learn, write and play through notated music. You are wrong. You could not be more wrong. You lose. Good day sir.

I agree with you. But i'm saying you shouldn't rely on it. You've misinterpreted my point for the sake of an argument.
Quote by ryan_nadon
Iv'e been trying to transcribe crap by ear for a while now. what songs would you recommend to transcribe? Right now I've just been doing white stripes stuff.

Dude! Willing to help! What sort of music do you like? Inbox me? Add me? Facebook me? Write on my wall? I don't really know how UG works.

If I can help you learn by ear I'd like to!

Panama Megatraps Jack
Typical guitarist elitism. "The way I do it is completely superior and anyone who does it any other way is a lower life form than me."
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by PanamaJack666
Dude! Willing to help! What sort of music do you like? Inbox me? Add me? Facebook me? Write on my wall? I don't really know how UG works.

Really this is a big clever plan for PanamaJack to get more Facebook friends.
I learn by ear because I find it easier, not because I think it'll make me a better guitarist.

Tabs are hard...
Quote by Ghefly
Really this is a big clever plan for PanamaJack to get more Facebook friends.

Yeah I need people I don't know on Facebook. I'm trying to help. Turn it down, expand your learning, whatever!?

Ignorance is bliss?!
Quote by Alkaline 64
I learn by ear because I find it easier, not because I think it'll make me a better guitarist.

Tabs are hard...

Listened to your band and I like them dude. Not directly related to the quote but it's good shit.
Page 1 of 2