http://noc3effects.com/earth-tone-boost/

I want a transparent volume boost to be placed after my dirt and od pedals, to boost for solos.

Will this work? There's not much info about it... anyone tryed it?
Quality components? Reliable? Noisy?

Any word?

Best Regards
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
It's the sweetest boost i've ever heard.
Really sweetens the tone.
I don't think it adds too much gain or volume though..
What sort of music do you play?

Also, check this demo of the pedal out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfJqe1eAciw

I have heard of them being remarkably high quality and reliable, though i suggest if you can increase your budget, try getting an NOC3 Pure Drive. It's an amazing overdrive with clean blend and might serve your boosting purpose well too.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
hmmm. i play all genres of music, only want a pedal that volume boost my other dirt pedals for solo.
already got overdrives, really want a clean boost, was going to get the RC booster, but i see there's cheaper and quality options... but this might not be one
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
A Timmy would be good.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
My budget is 142$ with shipping included to Portugal... so... really need a cheap volume boost, will never use it for OD
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
yeah i mean if you only want a clean boost getting a (more expensive) transparent od is sorta overkill.

Haven't tried the noc3- I think they have a good rep, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the Pure Drive.. it a good pedal, but not extremely outstanding.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
do you have every boutique pedal ever made?

I like the looks of the firefly, but it's been discontinued

But i mean i know they have a good rep over at tgp. Then again, so does Joyo Freekish Blues...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have every boutique pedal ever made?

I like the looks of the firefly, but it's been discontinued

I wish Dave, I wish. Tho I know I have expensive tastes when it comes to ODs.

The Firefly was also the other NOC3 that caught my eye. It looks very interesting. Recto sag in a pedal.

The Pure Drive is basically a Tubescreamer with better component parts and an adjustable bass dump feature.

Versatile and pretty good... but just not my cuppa tea.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 18, 2011,
i thought the pure drive was based on discrete transistors? that's what (i think... i might just be misremembering) your noc3 dude said on tgp...

oh and that wasn't a dig at you, i love nice kit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the pure drive was based on discrete transistors? that's what (i think... i might just be misremembering) your noc3 dude said on tgp...

oh and that wasn't a dig at you, i love nice kit.

Again Dave, your knowledge of electronics exceeds mine.

I tested it against a TS and a Sparkle Drive... it sounds considerably better... but the end effect isn't too different. I did find one thing to... it really compresses the dynamics of my picking... hence my Ghost Drive really shines compared to the Pure Drive.

Honestly... its a better TS with more bells and whistles.

Oh no, I know it wasn't a dig... haha... but I still felt the compulsive need to respond haha.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
eh i know hardly anything about electronics... just enough to get the wrong end of the stick a lot of the time

but yeah that ghost drive looks pretty badass... think it's a bit out of my budget, though. considering i mainly use an od as a boost i'm not sure it makes financial sense to spend too much on an od anyway (though that doesn't stop me wanting something a bit more boutique than my biyang lol)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
eh i know hardly anything about electronics... just enough to get the wrong end of the stick a lot of the time

Quote by Dave_Mc
but yeah that ghost drive looks pretty badass... think it's a bit out of my budget, though. considering i mainly use an od as a boost i'm not sure it makes financial sense to spend too much on an od anyway (though that doesn't stop me wanting something a bit more boutique than my biyang lol)

Hmm I know what you mean... well its definitely worth considering, the maker told me that he's got a mass production version planned... it has a simpler version of the cover... and that apparently lowers the cost of the whole pedal - $280 vs $350.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
yeah, i was just on the site and noticed that. that's still pretty dear, but $280 is a lot closer to what i'd be willing to pay than $350, lol.

I just noticed in your thread about it that you said it can do high gain and metal- i thought it was an OD? Or do you have the high gain version?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i was just on the site and noticed that. that's still pretty dear, but $280 is a lot closer to what i'd be willing to pay than $350, lol.

I just noticed in your thread about it that you said it can do high gain and metal- i thought it was an OD? Or do you have the high gain version?

I got the high gain version... the gain structure is such that at 1 - 2 on the gain knob gives you an OD... bump the gain knob up and you're gonna go into high-gain sounds.

Its definitely worth considering... but you'll probably want the low gain... use the boost for your boost. then you can engage the OD to add some colour to your tone. Add 2 channels to your amp
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
yeah, see that's what i was wondering. he was saying on his site that the high gain version worked better with higher wattage, higher gain amps... yet i'd have thought most people using those high gain amps would be using it as a boost, so the lower gain version might be better.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, see that's what i was wondering. he was saying on his site that the high gain version worked better with higher wattage, higher gain amps... yet i'd have thought most people using those high gain amps would be using it as a boost, so the lower gain version might be better.

I think he was thinking the other way around.

If you use the low gain on a high wattage, you end up with a subtle change in the overall tone.

I believe he was thinking of single channel amps... where you'd want the OD to be able to really slam the front end of the amp, but still retain high transparency and note definition. Make it really sound like you're playing from guitar -> amp. Rather than guitar -> OD -> amp.

I could ask him if you'd like.

I got the high-gain version because I do like the sound of a OD really cooking a clean channel, while at the same time if I needed less gain, I'll just dial down the gain knob. On the other hand, if I only have the low-gain, I won't be able to dredge up the gain even if I dimed it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
ah ok, yeah that makes sense.

No need to ask him, thanks for the offer, if i ever do decide to look into it more I'll email him myself to ask him. But at the moment, I'm still thinking $280 is probably a bit dear, when i can get, say, a cmatmods super signa drive for like $180. Though having not tried either, it's entirely possible the ghost drive is way better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No worries

Glad I could help with that. I know what you mean about the price of the pedal... it definitely was a nervous few weeks wait to find out if I had spent a lot of money on a mediocre pedal. Thank goodness it's plenty awesome and what I'd want in an OD.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
yeah. I mean my big problem is that if i cheap out I wish I'd spent more to get something better, but when I spend a lot I wonder if it was worth it for the sometimes subtle improvements. I can't win
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. I mean my big problem is that if i cheap out I wish I'd spent more to get something better, but when I spend a lot I wonder if it was worth it for the sometimes subtle improvements. I can't win

Hmm well, the way I think about it is this:

1. Sometimes only by spending the money can you get what you want. You can't always get the same effect with the cheaper option.

2. Before making a purchase, evaluate it in terms of expected / perceived value for money, and spend your money based on that evaluation. After the purchase, evaluate the purchase in terms of capabilities vs needs.

Once you think in that manner, it becomes easier to make high-ticket purchases. Otherwise, it'll always be hard to spend money on comparatively expensive items. That how I thought when I finally forked out money for my Mark V, TimeFactor, Red Witch Empress and the Ghost Drive.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
So... I don't really want an overdrive that is capable of boosting... I really want a simple clean boost, to boost the volume for solos.

I don't want the cheap LPB-1 by EHX (duh), should I really get the RC Booster? Whirlwind time bomb what do you think?

Also looking at the Xotic EP-Booster, I know it will add a bit of mild overdrive... but it will give plenty of volume too
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by Teque86
So... I don't really want an overdrive that is capable of boosting... I really want a simple clean boost, to boost the volume for solos.

I don't want the cheap LPB-1 by EHX (duh), should I really get the RC Booster? Whirlwind time bomb what do you think?

Also looking at the Xotic EP-Booster, I know it will add a bit of mild overdrive... but it will give plenty of volume too

Haha... another hijacked thread.

What amp are you using?

You know a solo boost doesn't always mean you have to get louder above the rest of the band to get heard. What you need to do is to be perceived as standing out and above the rest of the band.

I have the feeling you use quite a bit of gain right? After a certain point of volume, adding more volume does nothing to make you sound louder, all it does is to saturate your gain further.

A volume boost as a solo boost is effective if you're using low to moderate gain. In higher gain situations, more volume saturates your gain further, pushing you back further into the rhythm section.

The solution to this, is to boost your mids to get your tone more hump and get it more prominent above the rest of the band. In such situations, an OD or an EQ might be more effective.

If you're using low gain, the Bomb or a MXR Micro Amp should do the trick.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ehehe, i'm using a Blackheart Handsome Devil 15 watt tube amp as a clean platform.

I use a tube screamer for light dirt, and a super plextortion for mild distortion, i don't use too much, just enough for guns and roses type of sound and van halen.

So i will use the clean boost pedal to be placed after those 2 pedals, to boost the volume of the ts, and then the wampler.

I know prolly an effects loop would do me good, but I don't have it, and I know if i just leave some headroom on the amp and pedals, that this is an effective way to solo.

I tryed the TS-9 after the wampler to boost the volume, it does that, but it colors that tone so much, that my "plexi" distortion goes away...

So this is why I want a clean boost.
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Hmm... personally I'd still use an EQ to boost the high end. In your case, the Bomb or a Micro amp should work ok.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
micro amp? from mxr? got any other to throw at me? super hard on? ep booster?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmm well, the way I think about it is this:

1. Sometimes only by spending the money can you get what you want. You can't always get the same effect with the cheaper option.

2. Before making a purchase, evaluate it in terms of expected / perceived value for money, and spend your money based on that evaluation. After the purchase, evaluate the purchase in terms of capabilities vs needs.

Once you think in that manner, it becomes easier to make high-ticket purchases. Otherwise, it'll always be hard to spend money on comparatively expensive items. That how I thought when I finally forked out money for my Mark V, TimeFactor, Red Witch Empress and the Ghost Drive.

oh yeah, i mean i have no problem spending money, it's just as you said, it doesn't guarantee it'll do what you want. or that it's any better than the cheaper stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, i mean i have no problem spending money, it's just as you said, it doesn't guarantee it'll do what you want. or that it's any better than the cheaper stuff.

Its always a gamble...

Quote by Teque86
micro amp? from mxr? got any other to throw at me? super hard on? ep booster?

Sorry mate, I don't do the whole "search for every pedal under the sun bit". I only consult on what to do, and provide what I think are good suggestions. You want the rest / the worst / the ones I'm no familiar with, you're gonna have to do the leg-work.

I charge for secondary research work.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 19, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Its always a gamble...

yep, exactly. if cheap stuff was always crap and expensive stuff always great, it'd be easy enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, exactly. if cheap stuff was always crap and expensive stuff always great, it'd be easy enough.

True, however I put quite a bit of stock in the phrase "you get what you pay for".
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I do and I don't... it just depends. the problem is the fact that a lot of people put stock in that phrase means that a lot of marketing is designed to encourage you to continue thinking like that.

Don't get me wrong- it's foolish to pay no attention to price, and all things being equal, something more expensive will probably be better. but it's also foolish to assume that something more expensive is better, because that's what the marketing departments want you to think, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?