I've been learning Ocean by John Butler but I can't help but feel that my technique is off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
I'm trying to get the part at 1:50 down but my picking hand is always tense and it hasn't gotten better over the past 4 days in which I've been practicing it. Any general tips/advice?
You've only practiced 4 days?

Some of these impressive techniques and such amazing refinement as you're trying to emulate requires many months if not years of work.

Think of it like sweep picking. Any noob can pick it up and use the neck pick up after 3+ months of messing around and make it sound decent, but it takes many many years/tons of hard work to truly make it noise clean/fluid.
Same with this technique. Good luck though, you're going to be God soon.
It's spelled wiener.
Patience, grasshopper. This is gonna take more than 4 days. When you can snatch this rock from my hand, only then will you be ready to play.

Seriously... This is gonna take more than 4 days. Keep at it, friend.
How many figures are you picking with? because he uses all five, and that may be the issue. You might be tense because you're trying to do it all with your middle, index, and thumb. He incorporates his pinky and ring finger, which lends to the fluidity of the sound.
Yeah I realize this song is going to take more than 4 days.
What I meant to say was that I haven't seem to progressed even a little on that particular part of the song over the past 4 days.

Quote by JohnFrooshIsGod
How many figures are you picking with? because he uses all five, and that may be the issue. You might be tense because you're trying to do it all with your middle, index, and thumb. He incorporates his pinky and ring finger, which lends to the fluidity of the sound.

I've been using them all except my pinky. :/
Then yeah. Practice your ass off, and try to add in the pinky if you can. I tried learning this song too. Got to your part, and, well... stopped. Haha, Good luck man, and best of luck to you.
Could try learning that part slower than usual and just perfect the technique for your little finger. Playing it slowly is progress at the end of the day
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.