Ok so I am putting together a Acoustic Folk/Indie Record and rather than paying for studio time I figured I'd just do it myself cuz i want to go to college for music production next year anyway. So I have a Shure SM-57. Now I have a good Soundcard on my PC but is it better to go straight to the Soundcard or To use some sort of interface?
Oh Hey look at my signature
Interface. Interface. Interface.
Quote by Danusta
Yes, I like Green Day and girls. What of it?
Quote by mike_biro727
Interface. Interface. Interface.

what would you recommend? nothing to steep. i'm on a small budget
Oh Hey look at my signature
The only thing I've ever used is the Presonus Firebox. But I've heard good things about the M-Box, and you can get a smaller one of those for only a few hundred. And that may be easiest for your genre anyways.
Quote by Danusta
Yes, I like Green Day and girls. What of it?
I think you can still get the M Audio Fast Track MKII for $105 at B&H online. It works very well for one input at a time. Any more and you'll want a firewire, but all you've got is one SM57 and a small budget, so...
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
for a decent acoustic recording you would need a interface and a condenser mic. if you live in europe you can pick up a bundle from thomann such as this http://www.thomann.de/ie/prod_cbundle_224.html?gk=coaius&cbcid=1328&art=117278 for less than €200. if you dont mind buying B stock you can get a M box for €55 and then buy a mic seperately
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Jun 18, 2011,
A preamp is more important than an interface (although some interfaces have them built in) if you're just using a mic like the SM57.

Your computers line-in/mic-in is going to take the same signal as an interface. A preamp boosts the volume and colors the tone more than anything.
Quote by Ignite
A preamp is more important than an interface (although some interfaces have them built in) if you're just using a mic like the SM57.

Your computers line-in/mic-in is going to take the same signal as an interface. A preamp boosts the volume and colors the tone more than anything.

Uhh, all interfaces pretty much have a built in preamp...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
That's more true now than it used to be. My first "interface" was a M-Audio Delta 44. No pres. Actually, come to think of it, the one I moved up to from there and used until a little better than a year ago was a Delta 1010. It had no pres either, and was a really solid and relatively expensive unit. I'm sure I paid almost $800 for it at the time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.