Thread shamelessly pinched from the guitar forum...

What is your favourite bass that is no longer in production?

Pictures please!

A slightly odd choice (I think) to kick things off: the Fender Aerodyne Classic P

Rosewood board, matching headstock, body binding, P/J, only available in this horrible shade of blue, a weird yellowy "natural" and a relatively acceptable red but for some reason I always found myself picking this thing up in Sound Control whenever I was testing out amps. I wish they'd bring it back.
Steinberger XL2 (or the earlier L2's)

Headless, all one-piece composite, and a narrow string spacing with one of the chunkiest necks I've ever played. They sound awesome, and even balance near perfectly with the pivot plate on the back.

and the XP2

The more budget-conscious version, with a composite neck on a small maple body. I'm making one of these my next bass for sure.

and I'll also throw in the MM Cutlass II. Or the Sabre, both are awesome basses.

Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 17, 2011,

Oh and, i'd love it if Ibanez could just bring their old like of SRX and EDBs back.
pinga
Ibanez Sabre

ESP PPJ

Fender '57 P-bass in Black w/ Anodized aluminium pickguard
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jun 17, 2011,
Hands down; Ibanez Musician Series basses from the late 70s - early 80s:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Fender Urge and Ibanez basses that favor the design of an Ibanez guitar.
Last edited by matt-attack at Jun 18, 2011,
Quote by anarkee

Stu Hamm Urge II

I'm sure his Dean Signature will be just as good...

Never played one of these but they sure sound good when I've heard them

why do Fender make such boring stuff nowadays? Are basic Ps and Js all people want?
Warwick Fortress

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Jun 18, 2011,
Peavey T40, preferably not natural finished. I am so close yet so far from getting one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by smb
(Invalid img)

Never played one of these but they sure sound good when I've heard them

why do Fender make such boring stuff nowadays? Are basic Ps and Js all people want?

Why yes, they do sound good.

I got a few chances to play on one of these before.

Love the Low end
I'm not too sure really. But my 98' German Bubinga 'vette is discontinued and awesome. It's my "funk machine" got 10 month old roto 66s on it and it's like; "Hey man, wanna audition for Run DMC?"
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Is that an extra long guitar?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
Is that an extra long guitar?

Its a Fender Bass VI, technically a 6 string bass with a short scale (30"). It didn't do too well when it was originally introduced because the string spacing was too tight for most of the bassists it was marketed to, it really was a niche instrument.

I'll add the Fender Bass V to the list. I'd love to get a chance to play one.

Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 19, 2011,
Jon I'm surprised a Hellcat VI hasn't made its way into your collection yet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
That Hellcat was made for stoner rock.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'd love one but I have no use for one.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
That thing is awesome! If I ever decide I want a guitar, I'm definitely getting that instead.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I know they don't get much love from the hardcore Warwick fans, but I always quite fancied an FNA Jazzman
Quote by smb
I know they don't get much love from the hardcore Warwick fans, but I always quite fancied an FNA Jazzman

They are amazing basses.

Love the Low end
Why do basses with an H in the 'sweet spot' always get discontinued?
Specifically:

-G&L L1000

-Peavey T-45

Aria makes some... but, meh...

Also, speaking of G&L, i wish wish wish they would bring back the El Toro... like the L2000, but jazz-bassy-er...

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Jun 20, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win
Why do basses with an H in the 'sweet spot' always get discontinued?

The Warwick Corvette $$ has a monster humbucker in the sweet spot and the bridge pickup is closer to the middle. You should get one.
MusicMan Cutlass is my dream bass, and I'll throw in my current bass:

MusicMan SUB (although it's not TOO TOO rare on the used market these days)

and,

Peavey T-40

Ampeg Dan Armstrong

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by Spaz91
The Warwick Corvette $$ has a monster humbucker in the sweet spot and the bridge pickup is closer to the middle. You should get one.

Really? Damn... addmittedly i have usually waved on by the Warwicks and Spectors of the world... i had always assumed the Corvette $$ was in the Stingray possition... are they closer to being in a P/J alignment?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by fleajr_1412
That Hellcat was made for stoner rock.

The Hellcat has too many strings an they're too close together to play while stoned