Poll: Back up or no?
Poll Options
View poll results: Back up or no?
Always bring a back up.
11 38%
Nope, i go commando.
18 62%
Voters: 29.
When you gig, do you bring an extra amp as a back up?

my thought is yes, always have a back up.

does anyone not bring a back up to gigs?
I usually bring two amps and run them in stereo. If one dies, I continue on the other. For important gigs, read Ippon's reply minus the Klon.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
I usually bring two amps and run them in stereo. If one dies, I continue on the other. For important gigs, read Ippon's reply minus the Klon.

thats what i do most of the time, so that is why i selected a backup in the poll.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dude, get a Klon!
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Considering I only own one amp, it's pretty much impossible for me to bring a backup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
no, i never bring a backup. Depending on where you live/play, if your amp breaks, it will be simple borrowing one from either the venue, or someone else playing. My band usually plays with other bands, so i could ask for help, but my gear has always been well taken care of and i am yet to have an amp breakdown.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Craig nailed it, although I think you should get a new amp. Budget? Location? Genre?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
i use a line 6 pod for effects. so if my amp breaks i guess i can just run straight into a pa
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I bring a spare guitarist as a backup

also a posse from tgp to make sure i'm getting teh righteous tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just bring my Krank Rev Jr Pro.

If it dies on me... I panic and telephone every single person I know and try to con one of them to bring their amp for me.

Works every time... tho I am running out of threats and cons.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by greeny23
Buy a Klon.

wait so i can just run from guitar, to klon, to the pa?

you sir may have just made my day.
i think you should just bring a spare band. if you pop a string, break a snare head, have an amp die, or have a member get sick, just get off the stage and let the other band take over.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I take spare tubes, spare amp, soldering iron, cutters, spare cables, batteries, at least three guitars and several packs of strings. Hell, I even take a spare PA amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i think you should just bring a spare band. if you pop a string, break a snare head, have an amp die, or have a member get sick, just get off the stage and let the other band take over.

+1

i'mma do this instead of the spare guitarist at the next opportunity.

i'll see if ratt has an opening in their schedule.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just always keep a d.i. box with my pa setup so i would just d.i. out of my pedalboard to the p.a.
Stage Rig:

Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 Soapbar

MXR SuperComp
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 (Keeley Electronics mod)
DanElectro FabTone
Line 6 DL4

'78 Fender Twin Reverb
Everyone knows it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Always, always always bring a backup. This is why I'll probably never get rid of my Vypyr 75 (unless Peavey releases another Vypyr series at some point).

If your amp dies in the middle of a show, you don' have time to **** around troubleshooting the problem, or replacing tubes in it. Getting the new amp in there will take all of 10 seconds, if you have it ready beforehand. Maybe a minute tops if you don't.

I love the Vypyr in particular because it can pretty much nail any genre you throw at it. Tone won't be top notch, obviously, but for a gig, it's far more than adequate, and it will be there for you, ready to go, for whatever you want/need to do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never used a backup for trailer space reasons, but one of those small ENGL heads would be ideal. I guess i could buy a V3M. I don't really play shows anymore, but when i did i had a 5150, didn't need a backup, thing was a tank. But i guess it would have been smart to bring one, i got very lucky.
never took a spare amp to a gig (it's been many years since i've been in a band though). spare tubes yes. back in the day i had an amp for shows and band practice plus one aqt home just for home practice. always did what i could to maintain my stage amp and not beat on it to much. i did change the tubes more often than most though to avoid that issue. never had one go down on me. as someon mentioned you can usually borrow another guys ampt for the show if really needed.
I take Traynor's Quarterhorse to gigs, and usually a set of tubes. Short of blowing a speaker, I'm covered. Should that remarkably happen, I don't see any of the guys I gig with being heartless enough to withhold an 8 ohm cab on me =P
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
gregs1020, you copied my thread. I don't mind though.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food