Soo next year I'm being shipped off to college. yayyaya. Of course, I do play guitar, and having a Half stack, let alone a combo amp, is probably going to be frowned upon in the dorms due to the noise and SIZE (dorms are tiny). Soo I'm not sure what to do.. Any suggestions? I think it would be cool to have something I can plug into my computer to play or even record.
I keep my deluxe right beside my bed and my champ under my desk. It's one of those things you have to feel out based on your roommate/neighbors/RA/dorm. My roommate last year had a 100 watt Marshalll and PISSED EVERYONE THE **** OFF and I took most of the blame for it actually. But this year I have my amps in my room just fine and I've spoken with my roommate about it.

All about communication.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hm.. That makes it REALLY intriguing to buy that Mesa Dual Rec Roadster combo... Tubes just dont sound as good at a low volume
Quote by scarter1192
Hm.. That makes it REALLY intriguing to buy that Mesa Dual Rec Roadster combo... Tubes just dont sound as good at a low volume

No, they don't but that's part of the price of having a tube amp. Also why I have a 5 watter with a 12AY7 in it. Crank it up to 10 and you can still talk over it.

That being said, you should be able to find some place on campus to crank it up some. Maybe a practice room or a recording studio if they have it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Grab an Axe-Fx. Lots of people are selling their Ultras within your budget because the IIs are coming out. Standards are cheaper so you could get a cheap power amp or some monitors to go with it if you went that route.

Headphones are definitely the way to go in college. If you're not planning on playing in a band, get an axe-fx and run it through your computer & headphones. That's a great compact recording rig right there.
Could I just plug the Axe Fx into my computer and play through my computer speakers?
You can run it straight into your sound card if you want, but using an interface and monitors would give you better results. Something like the M-Audio fast track pro is small and inexpensive and sounds good. Playing an Axe-Fx through standard computer speakers is a waste. You can probably get away with plugging it straight into your mic input, but if you're using some cheap computer speakers you might as well just get a POD.

The Axe-Fx II has a USB out so you wouldn't need an audio interface, just some decent studio monitors. It's also got a headphone out so you could just run it alone into some good headphones, and then USB out to record. It's over your budget, though.

It sounds like you're not really set up for an Axe-Fx, so you'd have to buy a bunch of extra stuff. It might be better to get something like a POD HD that's already got a USB and a headphone out, so you can just plug and play with your headphones and recording software and not spend any more money. The Axe-Fx is certainly tempting, but I wouldn't want to recommend it and then have you disappointed because you have to choose between having it not sound great or spending $500 more to realize its potential. The POD HD is going to sound perfectly good through headphones and it comes in way under budget. You can buy some nice recording software, maybe an M-Box if you want to get started in that direction, and have money left over for other stuff. On your budget, you're not really doing the Axe-Fx justice, and adding parts that are going to take up more room and put you back where you started size-wise.
Sooo.. I could go Guitar > Axe Fx > Fast Track Pro > Computer > High quality headphones/studio monitors?

^^The money is definitely a factor. I may end up getting the POD just because it's much cheaper and still sounds decent. It all depends on how much I get from my grad party
Last edited by scarter1192 at Jun 18, 2011,
Correct, although I'd plug the headphones straight into the fast track so you don't have latency issues.

I have to say, I spent a bunch of my graduation money on guitar stuff. My biggest mistake was not sitting down and thinking about how I was going to use the stuff I bought. If you can swing the axe-fx and the peripherals you'll need to get it working (and do more research, I'm not an axe-fx expert), that's awesome. However, I could have spent half as much as I did, been perfectly satisfied with the results, and had money left over for when I really needed it in college. I feel like I sound like I'm steering you away from the axe-fx, but what I'm really suggesting is that you spend lots of time thinking not about what you want and can afford, but what you'll use and how.

I ended up with three pedals, two microphones, and a recording interface that was way overkill for what I wanted to do. I sold two of the pedals after a month, since they were just weird sounds that were cool but not that useful, and I sold the recording interface for something more practical a while later. You can never have too many mics, though. I just could have been a lot smarter with my spending and had twice as much useful stuff.
Hm. Well this helped A LOT. Money is honestly the biggest thing. If I got the Axe-Fx, I would definitely want to get the right setup so it sounds good, and I'm assuming that would be slightly over 2k. Maybe not worth the money when I'm at college to get a degree, not setup a professional recording rig. haha. Thanks though!!
You can get in well under 2K:
Axe-Fx standard, used, probably 1200.
Monitors, 150.
Interface, 200.

That's under budget, but the problem there is that you've got no recording software, studio monitors are going to take up a lot of desk space in your dorm, and you're still kind of half-assing it with the Axe-Fx's capabilities. I guess the question is whether or not you want to start with the Axe-Fx and then add parts like software and a power amp and speakers later, or just use the POD until you can do the Axe-Fx right or get a tube amp.
The reason I would not go the axe-fx route in your situation is that you'd pretty much have to get a standard, and by the time you graduate, the II is going to be cheaper and there might even be a III out so the standard will be obsolete. At least with the POD you're not taking that $1500 hit and going cheap on peripherals just to get it working.
I'd go with the POD; just make sure it's the HD, and that it's the 500. The 300 and 400 are too clunky to control and not versatile enough.
pod HD , the non floor model, it has built in headphone out, not worth it to get a axe fx and play on headphones :P

when im out working (on a oil tanker right now) i play through free amp sims on my laptop with headphones, dont think id notice so much difference with a axe fx, because an axe would need some quality monitors or a poweramp/cab
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard