*edit*
So I went out and tried a few Jacksons and some Schecters. I don't really care for either, they feel a bit too light, almost like a toy. They were fairly comfortable but I didn't care for the overall feel of the guitar.

Anyone have any suggestions on some strats that have humbuckers that I should have a look at?

After lots of practicing I need some suggestions from you guys to help me decide on a new guitar. I'll be saving up for this guitar so price is not an issue.

I have 2 main guitars at the moment. Ultimately I want the most comfortable guitar to play as opposed to one that might sound a bit better since I am using Pod farm 2 with my UX2 so achieving the sounds I want isn't to hard.

I do prefer the beefier sound of the Les Paul to the Tele but again I am looking for play-ability first and sound second.

Current Guitars:

Squier Telecaster

and

Gibson Les Paul Gothic

Likes about the tele:
-its light, the maple neck is smooth and plays very easy.
- Neck is easier to play on as it feels a bit smaller than the Les Paul neck

Dislikes about the tele
- The body above the bridge (closest to face when playing) is to large and it makes it more difficult to palm mute when playing while standing.
- It gets a bit difficult to play above the 15th fret.
- Pickup selector gets in the way while playing, I often hit it and change pickups on accident.

Likes about the Les Paul
-Easy to play on the upper frets
-Nice shape, easy to palm mute when playing while standing.

Dislikes about the Les Paul
- The mahogany neck is harder to slide up and down while playing.
- Pickup selector is also in the way on this guitar
- A bit on the heavy side, can get uncomfortable when playing while sitting.
- Thick neck is a bit uncomfortable to play on.

TL;DR
Regardless of brand, price, etc what can you guys suggest that will be the easiest guitar to play both while practicing sitting down and performing standing?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at Jun 28, 2011,
A Stratocaster?
-Neck is easier to play on as it feels a bit smaller than a Les Paul neck
-Pickup selector in different place
Without a budget why wouldn't you just get something custom made for you exactly the way you want it? That way you shouldn't have any dislikes.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Picklelerner
A Stratocaster?

I've thought about this actually, could you recommend any brands that make a good quality stratocaster shape?

Quote by consecutive e
Without a budget why wouldn't you just get something custom made for you exactly the way you want it? That way you shouldn't have any dislikes.

hmmm could be a good idea, although how would I go about doing this?
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at Jun 18, 2011,
A gibson SG? I just got a Epiphone SG G400 and its beautiful as ever it sounds great tone-wise, nothing gets in the way, its light, its easy to play and it looks beautiful
Search for luthiers, either locally or on the web. Find a few that look like they might be good for you then call them and have a chat with them about what you want. There's hundreds to thousands of luthiers around. Just be wary that prices will vary greatly between them.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by L.A.P.D.
I've thought about this actually, could you recommend any brands that make a good quality stratocaster shape?

Uhhhhhhh....Fender.

But as a Jackson man myself. I'd recommend a Jackson USA Soloist.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by ztiberiusd
A gibson SG? I just got a Epiphone SG G400 and its beautiful as ever it sounds great tone-wise, nothing gets in the way, its light, its easy to play and it looks beautiful

I almost got an SG over my Les Paul actually, so definitely might go for this.

Quote by Picklelerner
A Stratocaster?

*edit*

Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Uhhhhhhh....Fender.

But as a Jackson man myself. I'd recommend a Jackson USA Soloist.

How is the weight of that Jackson and the access to the upper frets?
Ltd all the way.

Also, if price isn't an issue, then why did you pick an Epiphone and a squire?
Peavey Wolfgang. sounds like a pissed off les paul, and you can easily find them sub$500. killer guitars, killer quality. honestly mine are up there with my gibsons.they come with the best liscensed floyd i have ever seen or hard tail. seriously you can't beat them. they are also relatively light weight.

they are basically EBMM axis' with enough changes to prevent a lawsuit against peavey.

the neck is slightly slimmer than a les paul 60's carve.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by robertsanidiot
Ltd all the way.

Also, if price isn't an issue, then why did you pick an Epiphone and a squire?

Squier and Gibson

Gibson was a gift a few years back and the squier was the first ever guitar I bought myself.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
Peavey Wolfgang. sounds like a pissed off les paul, and you can easily find them sub$500. killer guitars, killer quality. honestly mine are up there with my gibsons.they come with the best liscensed floyd i have ever seen or hard tail. seriously you can't beat them. they are also relatively light weight.

they are basically EBMM axis' with enough changes to prevent a lawsuit against peavey.

the neck is slightly slimmer than a les paul 60's carve.

Wow, I just quicksearched some of those and that looks like almost exactly what I am looking for.

*edit*

I can't find Peavey Wolfgangs anywhere to buy >_>
Quote by L.A.P.D.

How is the weight of that Jackson and the access to the upper frets?

They're not that heavy. Maple neck through with alder wings, and the body's smaller than a strat. Might weigh similar to a strat because of the extra maple. That stuff's dense.

The neck through build means that their upper fret access is fantastic. You'd have no problems there.
Quote by L.A.P.D.

Wow, I just quicksearched some of those and that looks like almost exactly what I am looking for.

*edit*

I can't find Peavey Wolfgangs anywhere to buy >_>

they are no longer manufactured by peavey, they are under FMIC EVH brand. the peavey models are better guitars IMO and cost a lot less. you would have to find a peavey wolfgang used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are no longer manufactured by peavey, they are under FMIC EVH brand. the peavey models are better guitars IMO and cost a lot less. you would have to find a peavey wolfgang used.

Bah no dealers near me

Anyone else have any suggestions?
To tell you the truth, an ESP LTD Kh-202 is a really good guitar. The neck feels amazing, the pickups arent too bad. Good for stock ESP's. It's around $400, and I think it'd be a good addition to your collection man.
Quote by L.A.P.D.
Bah no dealers near me

Anyone else have any suggestions?

i am confused. why would you need a dealer when the guitar is used? the Peavey Wolfgangs are superior to the EVH branded wolfgangs anyways, and cost less than half the price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If your looking at Tele's and LP'slook at the PRS single cuts or the G&L asat style guitars. Much better quality than fender/Gibson even thinks about having in a normal line of guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
*edited into first post*

So I went out and tried a few Jacksons and some Schecters. I don't really care for either, they feel a bit too light, almost like a toy. They were fairly comfortable but I didn't care for the overall feel of the guitar.

Anyone have any suggestions on some strats that have humbuckers that I should have a look at?

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am confused. why would you need a dealer when the guitar is used? the Peavey Wolfgangs are superior to the EVH branded wolfgangs anyways, and cost less than half the price.

I've only found a few used and they were fairly expensive. So are the EVH brand outrageously expensive?

Quote by Robbgnarly
If your looking at Tele's and LP'slook at the PRS single cuts or the G&L asat style guitars. Much better quality than fender/Gibson even thinks about having in a normal line of guitars.

I'll check some out, buy not many guitar stores around here carry PRS.
Last edited by L.A.P.D. at Jun 28, 2011,